Audio Technica cartridges ???

51 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Dl110 is 0.1x0.2mm stylus profile so much smaller than 0.7x0.3 elliptical price wise it's always around $270-290 in most online retailer so pretty much the same price with at 95 microline

Oh.  It was $500 approx everywhere I found in Australia.  It is $349 USD at LP-Gear.    

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There aren't.  Just MicroLine, nothing else to consider  

Audio Technica do certainly have an overwhelming array of cartridges...   THE AT95 IS an amazing budget cart... put on a better profile diamond (nude eliptical or vetter) and it scales up ni

Long time AT fan here,  with many cartridges in the collection.     Currently listening to an AT VM540ML. It is without question one of the best value cartridges I have heard in terms of sou

10 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Oh.  It was $500 approx everywhere I found in Australia.  It is $349 USD at LP-Gear.    

Amazon au is $280 with free delivery https://www.amazon.com.au/DENON-DL-110-Phono-Cartridge/dp/B07TNP2Y8P/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=dl110&qid=1589106601&sr=8-1

Edited by mloutfie
18 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

$285 eBay Australia.

20 minutes ago, mkaramazov said:

Btw the one AT cartridge I had that sounded to my ears similar to the sound signature of the DL110 was a vintage AT30E LOMC ( one of the rare MCs with a replaceable stylus).  Just in case you ever stumble on one and are curious!  

I actually had an AT30E years ago. I did enjoy it! But I can only remember that it had a smooth detailed sound.

I sold the body a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eltech said:

$285 eBay Australia.

Found it.  Yeah, a hifi clearance special - fantastic deal.  It really is $500 most places.   

Edited by aussievintage
1 hour ago, eltech said:

During the "run in" period my cartridge behaved very badly. 😆 It was initially balanced then sounded bright and brittle, then it got a hole in the midrange. But after the suspension ran in it was fantastic. I have read some comments on forums 🙄 where people described all of the above and I get the feeling they gave up before it had run in. 

I hope you have a good experience this time. 

I'm running mine with a very heavy headshell on a light-medium mass tonearm.

@eltech

How long did your Denon DL110 take to run in?

I have just purchased one from Amazon for a good price, interested in knowing how long I need to give it.

Cheers

12 hours ago, mloutfie said:

Dl110 is 0.1x0.2mm stylus profile so much smaller than 0.7x0.3 elliptical price wise it's always around $270-290 in most online retailer so pretty much the same price with at 95 microline

I thought that was the "shank" size and not the tip size? There is discussion of this here

14 hours ago, aussievintage said:

The DL-110 stylus must be a very special elliptical indeed as the cartridge claims response up to 45kHz like the more exotic shapes, and to better them for detail.   

12 hours ago, eltech said:

The diamond is a greeny yellow colour. I think this means it's a natural diamond gemstone - not a cultured diamond.

Since this thread has moved towards  comparing the AT microline and the DL110, I thought I would share a few snaps of the stylii that I have. I make no claims on the quality of my pics, and as you can see I live in a dustbowl, but in the spirit of sharing, I thought it would be interesting. 

This is a shot of my DL110 (pardon the dust). A shortish aluminium cantilever, and a beautiful stone. There is lots of talk on the web about how Denon not only uses high quality diamonds, but also polishes them to a high standard. You can actually see the greenish / yellow colour here that eltech refers to - I never noticed before. I guess not all diamonds are the same. 

546615895_d1103.JPG.5a21596c4f6a55aa82f459786b1714f6.JPG

This is AT VM540ML that I use. I don't have the equipment to get close enough to see the lovely precision by which diamond is cut by Namiki, but I have a magnifier which gets really close in the sunlight - the ridges in microline are amazing. Note the AT uses a longer (and thinner?) aluminium cantilever than the Denon. 

1904590126_VM540ML2.JPG.c73ba329f270cb35bd29ba40542e9e67.JPG

For reference, here is the AT 440ML OCC. Looks very similar to the AT VM540ML, except the cantilever in this is not polished. Note this the first variant of the 440ML- renowned as the brightest sounding. It was indeed painful to listen to for the first hundred hours, but then it settled down. The below picture is after many hours of use - lots of crud on the cantilever. 

at4.JPG.63e77e2a9faf5c82803c45b12e9aa99d.JPG

For comparison, this is the simply glorious stylus of the AT36ML LOMC I have. This is a very fine microline cut diamond on a gold plated beryllium cantilever. I think it is a work of art. I am a huge fan of the old beryllium cantilevered ATs - I have several and they all sound special. 

AT36ML.JPG.9d1cbeb4006877d559694258831335f3.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks for those pictures.  Yes, I wondered about the size being shank size.  You link doesn't work for me but  https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=47669

Thanks for the pictures.  Always enjoy seeing stylus closeups.    My avatar picture is a closeup of the VM95ML microline stylus btw.   Lovely clear diamond with exquisite shape and ridges

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 1

Very nice pics guys, and nice collection of carts!!  Gives a great illustration of the differences.  

I have been looking at and considering this cartridge for quite a while.  After hearing and reading very very good things about the Denon I will try one very soon on my Technics SL1200mkII and am very much looking forward to it. I just read thru the link @aussievintage attached and its a good read.

Here is some of my basic understanding on the DL110. Please dont take my information as gospel but its how I have concluded fitting a DL110 to my table will work.

There seems to be bit of arjy barjy on the 10hz compliance of the  DL110 however most agree on it being a low/medium compliance of around 14cu.   The manufacturer spec measure it at 100hz and thankfully there a people around that are much smarter than I and done the conversion to 10hz for us. 

I am of the understanding the Denon will match up well in my situation with slightly heavier headshell - and that is probably one thing to be considered with the Denon in that it is a light cart at 4.8grams and is said to require a bit of extra mass to get the best out of it on light to medium arms (from all I have read).  The Denon DL103 and DL103R (LOMC)  even more so.  Of course the great thing with the DL110 is it can be used with a MM phono stage.  The AT VM range should have no issues with the std Technics headshell.

On the Technics for example, the factory arm/headshell has a  12gram effective mass (medium mass) with the std headshell being 7.5gram and the arm being 4.5grams. Using a slightly heavier headshell of about 10-12 grams on that arm does justice to the Denon when using VE calculator, I've read people using upto 15gram on the Technics arm, but to do that you'd need to also use the auxillary counterweight on the arm.  I have also read people using the std headshell with great outcome so I guess user experience and expectation bias can vary also.

@eltech mentions above a very heavy headshell on his Denon, not sure what arm or headshell weight he is using but again the increase of effective mass is trending.

The AT line seems to fit up well without much fuss, I am keen on the VM95ml due to reading great things and also  due to its flexibility in stylus swapping.  The 540ml also reviews well, but I keep coming back to the 95ml even though the 540ml specs read better I am not sure my ears will hear those minor differences and again, only from what I read, the 540ml can come accross a little brighter or more sterile, which would not be to my liking.  The ML range is said to track like a tram too.

Given both can be found for around $280 what a great price point to performance ratio - thats not even opening up the hole for the other carts in this range!!  I own the Nagaoka MP110 and Ortofon Blue, also around this range and constantly compared to these two carts.  I am looking forward to making my own judgement once I own them all.

some interesting articles for your reading pleasure.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-2m-blue-versus-audio-technica-vm95ml

https://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/denondl110.htm

• Like 1

A couple of videos I hadn't seen before.  The first demonstrates why I don't like the 440ML carts.  This is a b, but mine is an a, which I think is even brighter. The video compares them to a 95ML

This one demonstrates IGD vs stylus shape with a range of carts starting with an AT91, an Ortofon Red, a 

Nagaoka MP-110 (which I think lacks highs), and an AT-440mlb which is too bright.

Edited by aussievintage

I have an AT-OC9/II running through blue Cinemag trannies and an AT95, in a wooden body with a JICO Hyperelliptical stylus.  Both are excellent, however, I always go back to the modified AT95, it is smooth, detailed the top end is not too bright and the surface noise is amazingly low, lower than the OC9/II.  AT really make brilliant carts.  I have tried a Nag MP-110, I thought it sounded corse with noticeable sibilance.  I also tried a Denon DL-103R and also though it sounded corse. 

• Like 1

My first MC was and is an AT 33 EV - lovely depth and expression across the full audio spectrum. / what's surface noise? The only thing that stops me from buying an ART 9 is too many instanbces of problems with the stylus and that it is much cheaper to buy in the USA.

• Like 1

How would a VM540ML go on a stock Technics 1200mk2?

Any other suggestions? Been using shure m44-7 for years, was thinking of upgrading.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Herbs said:

How would a VM540ML go on a stock Technics 1200mk2?

Any other suggestions? Been using shure m44-7 for years, was thinking of upgrading.

Cheers

This is the path I'll be looking to go down some stage. The VM95E is said to work well with the Technics SL1200mkII, I cant see why the ML wouldn't.  The SL1200mkII should play well with most carts of mid to high compliance.

The newish Sumiko range of the Rainier, Olympia and Moonstone should work ok too and are interchangable like the AT line

I've got the Nagaoka MP110 using a Nagaoka headshell which works well on it as does the Goldring 1042 and Ortofon Blue.  The Goldring takes some time to settle and I use a spacer with it to add VTA and some weight, it was fussy and quite horrible to start with but once you find its sweet spot and its settled is really great.

Denon DL110 works well too but needs a heavier headshell 10-12grams, the std Technics headshell is too light,

I have never heard it but some folks here on SnA regard it well, the Shelter 201 is also a good match.  Looking at the resonance calculator on Vinyl Engine and the effective mass of the SL1200mkII it should work very well with the standard headshell. This cart is on my list at some point too.

cheers

If I was in the market for a new cartridge the AT540ML is the one I would buy. I had an AT95e and Apheta 2 on my RP8 I preferred the AT95e over the $2500 Apheta 2.  Audio Technica MM cartridges were widely used by some of the top mastering engineers. And best of all it's reasonably priced.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

If I was in the market for a new cartridge the AT540ML is the one I would buy. I had an AT95e and Apheta 2 on my RP8 I preferred the AT95e over the $2500 Apheta 2.  Audio Technica MM cartridges were widely used by some of the top mastering engineers. And best of all it's reasonably priced.

I have been listening to various cartridge shootouts on youtube.  Time and again, the AT carts deliver the  balanced sound with clear instrument separation that I love.

I take back anything negative said about my ART9.... Using my Fidelity Research FRT4 SUT it's getting perhaps the best sound I've yet heard with vinyl through my Abbas Audio phono stage.  I'm guessing either my previous Hashimoto SUT or Silver Litz tonearm cable just didn't get along with the Abbas phono stage.

Then again the Garrott Bros P87 is of a similar level.  It has the sweet sound and presence of a Supex SD900 except top to bottom rather than just the midrange,  and is more extended in the frequency extremes. It's also more solid sounding than later Supex made carts such as the Klipsch MCZ7 which sound a bit on the lean side. Sound stage not as wide as the ART9 though when things sound this good you're hard pressed to notice.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I have  a few AD carts 

AD3100XE MC on my Thorens TT

AD Model ADC 220X Red

AD VMN95C ;Someone bought a new table with that on it, bought a better one and I ended up with it to put it on my German made "Leonard" Elac Miracord 610

On 07/05/2020 at 3:32 AM, cafe67 said:

Was having a look at the AT range of cartridges. Holy cow how many models do they have, from cheap MM & MC to expensive MM & MC, its bewildering? 

The Art9 ($1499) seem well reviewed, but what about the OC9 range ($469 to $1399 or the AT33SA at $1199? 

How about their exxy MM's - the VM760SLC ($1199) and VM750SH ($699)?

Thoughts by others?

I've owned a number of AT moving coils.

They are fantastic performers and certainly represent good value in the crazy world of moving coils.

In terms of the Oc9 range, I can only talk of the previous generation, as I know that AT have recently done a huge shake-up of the entire catalogue, but the Oc9-III was a fantastic cartridge, it outperformed many more expensive carts I've used. The Micro-Line version is also well praised ( I believe it's called the ML-II or something).

In the '33' range, the PTG-II is the performer that seems to make a lot of people happy - as an all-rounder. Just seems to do enough of everything right, with a fairly balanced response.

All of the above I would describe as having a nimble, open, airy sound (in a very broad summary) - which seems to be a 'house-sound' for AT.

If you are looking for a 'meatier' presentation, the 33-EV is the model to consider. It doesn't have the detail or high-frequency 'clean-ness' as the above, but it has a smoother, full-bodied presentation.

All in all, the thing which is important to remember, with a majority of the AT moving coils (excepting the 33-EV I mentioned), is that a lot of them use fairly 'fine' styli profiles. Meaning that setup is absolutely critical for getting the best sound.

If you've use carts with exclusively elliptical or conical before, you might find setup to be a little more involved. But once it's aligned, it will sing. Especially in the inner-grooves.

• Like 2

If you're after an ART9, I no longer use mine. It's low hours. PM me if interested.

Edited by MattyW
  • 1 month later...

Reviving this thread, BUT it is hard/impossible to lump all AT carts into one thread.

AT MM carts require phonostage capacitance settings of -0-, or maybe 47/50pF, in order to sound their best...period.  Without a low capacitance setting, it's not even fair to compare them to anything else.

AT MC carts are more variable in load settings, so can be compared more evenly with other MC offerings.

Full disclosure:  I am a bit of an AT fanboy, but more on the MM side.  IMO the MC playing field becomes level much quicker.

• Like 1