Chris_from_YT

Finish this sentence: I have an accoustically transparent screen and...

What do you love about it? 

What do wish was better? 

X brand is great but...

I would only trade up for...

Background: I'm in the market for an accoustically transparent screen and I'm searching for something that ticks most of my boxes:

1. Picture quality

2. Price

3. I'm not sure! 

I used Silver Foil Backed white spandex - available at most material suppliers for about $32m2

And 70x35mm pine from Bunnings

Cost me about $80 (I got the spandex for $8m on special !!)

As long as you don't stretch the spandex more than just enough for it to go taut it creates a beautiful image - no more than 5% either way. If you stretch itmore than that the silver backing reflects back and makes the image sparkle - and not in a good way.

The picture quality is amazing and I am only using an Optoma HD50 1080 projector.

I got a big thumbs up from a professional screen installer on the AVSforum.com and he was very skeptical that it would work.

Spandex screen image 1.jpg

Spandex screen image 3.jpg

Spandex screen image 4.jpg

Spandex screen image 2.jpg

Theatre 1.jpg

10 minutes ago, niterida said:

I used Silver Foil Backed white spandex - available at most material suppliers for about $32m2

As long as you don't stretch the spandex more than just enough for it to go taut it creates a beautiful image - no more than 5% either way. If you stretch itmore than that the silver backing reflects back and makes the image sparkle - and not in a good way.

The picture quality is amazing and I am only using an Optoma HD50 1080 projector.

I got a big thumbs up from a professional screen installer on the AVSforum.com and he was very skeptical that it would work.

Theatre 1.jpg

10 minutes ago, niterida said:

Theatre 1.jpg

Excellent job. I doubt I have the skills to make my own - I wish I did, the way I could spend more on other equipment! 

It took me literally a couple of hours - just cut 4 uprights and 2 crossbars and screwed them together. Then just hammered some shadecloth grip staple things in to hold the spandex and done :)

Posted (edited)

i do remember when "nit" did his earlier postings about his use of spandex and the somewhat negative responses. in the end it cost him less than postage of a bought screen, he didnt have to have any real carpentry skills and i bet he got great satisfaction, if he can do it so can you op.

he did use some solid wood unlike most youtubers that use flimsy rubbish for a frame (i used 90x35 and that is damn heavy) but there is no twisting. i am still wanting to try one but need to remove a fireplace and chimney (slightly more than the cost of postage haha)

on a side note "nit" what the **** is that centre speaker?

Edited by hopefullguy

I should try, as it will save me a ton.  I'm going to do a riser for the second row, as that is pretty easy (well at least how to videos make it look easy).  So maybe when I do this bit, I should at least give the frame a go - if it's not square, then probably just $50 of materials and a few hours wasted. 

Nit - do you have a link to where you purchased the spandex? TIA

2 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

on a side note "nit" what the **** is that centre speaker?

You mean my SGR  Subwoofer ??

Posted (edited)

oh haha.. sorry i was excited by the size of what looked like a strange new centre.

as for riser build, just keep it basic. i watched one this week that was total rubbish (imo) and overly complicated. they made these "piers" for the top to sit on? make sure you have a step on either side, dont skimp on screws and take your time.

with the riser/all my builds i never glue so it gives me the option to dismantle and rebuild if things change.

Edited by hopefullguy

On 06/05/2020 at 7:44 PM, Chris_from_YT said:

What do you love about it? 

What do wish was better? 

X brand is great but...

I would only trade up for...

Background: I'm in the market for an accoustically transparent screen and I'm searching for something that ticks most of my boxes:

1. Picture quality

2. Price

3. I'm not sure! 

150" OZTS AT Scope Screen

Good quality. Would like slightly more gain given the HDR world now.

Good price given size.

Would trade up for a screen with auto masking, and more gain

Love the full seamless front sound stage it brings, the immersion and 4K detail

Good to hide a heap of unsightly speakers, racks, acoustic/absorption stuff, cardboard boxes from gear purchased.

12 hours ago, Chris_from_YT said:

I should try, as it will save me a ton.  I'm going to do a riser for the second row, as that is pretty easy (well at least how to videos make it look easy).  So maybe when I do this bit, I should at least give the frame a go - if it's not square, then probably just $50 of materials and a few hours wasted. 

Nit - do you have a link to where you purchased the spandex? TIA

Firstly its niterida (as in night rider - its a nickname I have had since I was 18 and it is nothing to do with the Hoff) not nit 😉

I bought mine from Spotlight but they don't sell it anymore - just do a google search for "spandex foil".

11 hours ago, niterida said:

Firstly its niterida (as in night rider - its a nickname I have had since I was 18 and it is nothing to do with the Hoff) not nit 😉

I bought mine from Spotlight but they don't sell it anymore - just do a google search for "spandex foil".

I thought “Nit” was funny 😁 

4 hours ago, muriwai said:

I thought “Nit” was funny 😁 

So did I 😎