Anamorphic lens or Lumagen.

18 minutes ago, MrC said:

Not sure whether we are talking about the same Cineslide then !!!  There is a big difference in price here!!

Yep got mine second hand at great price. Has an ir receiver for a remote but I never got a remote. 

Mark Techer is probably the best person to be taking to about scope as he is the designer and manufacturer of the Aussiemorphic range of lenses. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

My screen size is 130 inch scope. Definitely would love to brighten up HDR and definitely stretch from 16x9 to 2.37. What I want to be able to do is grab any 16x9 movie and watch it in scope to it’s full potential. Have been told to go the lens but everyone seems to be buying Lumagen.Am looking at 6000.00 to spend but of course if there is no need to spend that much  to get the same result I would welcome the idea.

** Jumped into this topic too fast... ** removed my earlier comments...

Edited by tomwu
** Jumped into this topic too fast... ** removed my earlier comments...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tasso said:

Let us know how you go.

I have been into the JVC menu and set the colour profile from BT.2020 to standard and found that in darker scenes it was slightly clearer with less grain, if any, but the colour dropped significantly. But it could be something i am not used to as my settings have probably been bad for so long i would not know what is good to begin with. I have Mark Techer coming up to calibrate so i will likely learn what is a mature picture whilst he is here. But yea, i can see where you are coming from and why you suggested to try . It did make a difference but me not knowing where to take it from there is another issue. I do have my colour management set to on but i think i will leave that to Mark when he arrives as i would most likely make it worse. At least i will learn an understanding of what all these setting do and how they interact with one another when Mark gets here. I switched it back to BT 2020 as the colours were to good to ignore.Well at least for now.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

there's a few things here, as per roachy with light output the lens will certainly help. however more to this, eg with MrC if get calibrated you can get a pretty decent result even with lower light outputs.

something like the previous gen jvc definitely suggest a pro calibration unless know and can do self. common things i hear is 

newer ones n5/n7 are great out of box also come with dynamic tone mapping which is fantastic !  mainly what lumagen brings, but purchasing newer projector might be a cheaper step selling old than lumagen ! not to say lumagen might not bring other benefits in calibration tone mapping etc. 

@Quark might have some comment as lens user with n5 now, with some perspective either way.

Since moving to the new house a couple of years ago, I've had a shorter throw distance than before and when using an X500 had more pincushioning than with the longer throw at the last house. When I purchased the N5 and confirming how much brighter it is, I've dispensed with the lens and slide (I actually told SWMBO that I'd sell the lens and slide to help fund the N5).

If you've got a longish throw distance I'd still recommend a lens and slide if you need additional lumens for a scope screen.

FYI I've since sold the lens, the cineslide is still available (must put an ad up when I get some time).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

Who said an anamorphic lens is in the region of $6000?

I don't know how much it cost, should be pretty costly. I think lots of US Runco users got that option, it will be surely more expensive than AUD6000 when new.

I'm not aware of any cheap options which also has great output.

I think if you don't know the cost then you shouldn't be attempting to state what you did.  Clearly my earlier post suggested that a very good lens can be had for much less than a brand new price.

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

I think if you don't know the cost then you shouldn't be attempting to state what you did.  Clearly my earlier post suggested that a very good lens can be had for much less than a brand new price.

Well, I think I jumped in too fast. removed my earlier comments.

2 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

I have been into the JVC menu and set the colour profile from BT.2020 to standard and found that in darker scenes it was slightly clearer with less grain, if any, but the colour dropped significantly. But it could be something i am not used to as my settings have probably been bad for so long i would not know what is good to begin with. I have Mark Techer coming up to calibrate so i will likely learn what is a mature picture whilst he is here. But yea, i can see where you are coming from and why you suggested to try . It did make a difference but me not knowing where to take it from there is another issue. I do have my colour management set to on but i think i will leave that to Mark when he arrives as i would most likely make it worse. At least i will learn an understanding of what all these setting do and how they interact with one another when Mark gets here. I switched it back to BT 2020 as the colours were to good to ignore.Well at least for now.?

Ordinarily the difference  between the colour  spaces shouldn't be that dramatic.  I  think Mark will be able to calibrate a decent outcome for HDR and Rec 2020 but I would also ask him to see if he could calibrate a setting  for UHD material with Rec2020 switched out.   There  could be times when you will want more brightness, particularly as the lamp ages. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Ordinarily the difference  between the colour  spaces shouldn't be that dramatic.  I  think Mark will be able to calibrate a decent outcome for HDR and Rec 2020 but I would also ask him to see if he could calibrate a setting  for UHD material with Rec2020 switched out.   There  could be times when you will want more brightness, particularly as the lamp ages. 

34 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Will do mate. With BT 2020 i notice the faces of the actors in the movie, "The Great Wall" a touch redder than with the colour profile on standard especially when the actors were near a fire as the reflection from the fire was more intense and redder on their faces. The problem here though is  my limited knowledge and that i did not know which one was closest to being "right". That's the trouble when you don't know what is right, you can end up chasing your tail and making things worse.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/05/2020 at 10:00 AM, Rec. 709 said:

If you can finder a dealer with a Lumagen nearby I'd highly recommend taking a look.

Have been doing some exploring/reading about the Lumagen Radiance Pro .... who are the dealers for this in Australia.?  I have emailed the Lumagen sales email address (in the US) but have got no reply.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, MrC said:

Have been doing some exploring/reading about the Lumagen Radiance Pro .... who are the dealers for this in Australia.?  I have emailed the Lumagen sales email address (in the US) but have got no reply.

It's mostly installers / calibrators that have access to them, rather than retailers.

Contact the Aussie distributor who should be able to point you in the right direction: https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/lumagen

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's mostly installers / calibrators that have access to them, rather than retailers.

Contact the Aussie distributor who should be able to point you in the right direction: https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/lumagen

Thanks for this .... I thought Cogworks may be the ones.  It appears that no one else is in the game.

• 2 months later...

Picked up an MK4 aussiemorphic lens for my first lens purchase right here on the forum and waiting for Mark Techer to install it and calibrate my JVC when he finds the time. Thanks for everyone's help. This will be a great learning curve for me after so many years in the hobby of home theatre and will finally have someone visit the theatre room to give me great advice to get the best out of my system. 

• Like 1