Anamorphic lens or Lumagen.

I am in the market for one or the other(not both) and am wondering which one to go with. I still have my JVC x5500 and a 2:37 scope screen and basically want to brighten up HDR and watch 16x9 content on the scope screen in full screen. Am new to anamorphic and new to Lumagen.I don’t mean to open up a big can of worms but I really have no idea on both the lens and the Lumagen.

52 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I am in the market for one or the other(not both) and am wondering which one to go with. I still have my JVC x5500 and a 2:37 scope screen and basically want to brighten up HDR and watch 16x9 content on the scope screen in full screen. Am new to anamorphic and new to Lumagen.I don’t mean to open up a big can of worms but I really have no idea on both the lens and the Lumagen.

if want to achieve more brightness using the full chip then most definitely folk use a scope lens for that... it is expensive though .... and unless a much larger screen a not a lot of folk use a scope lens anymore....

if just planning to do a stretch there is absolutely no need for lens. talk to @oztheatre he has much experience with the JVC and always been a proponent for scope and been saying this for some years now. 

• Like 1

My screen size is 130 inch scope. Definitely would love to brighten up HDR and definitely stretch from 16x9 to 2.37. What I want to be able to do is grab any 16x9 movie and watch it in scope to it’s full potential. Have been told to go the lens but everyone seems to be buying Lumagen.Am looking at 6000.00 to spend but of course if there is no need to spend that much  to get the same result I would welcome the idea.

10 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

My screen size is 130 inch scope. Definitely would love to brighten up HDR and definitely stretch from 16x9 to 2.37. What I want to be able to do is grab any 16x9 movie and watch it in scope to it’s full potential. Have been told to go the lens but everyone seems to be buying Lumagen.Am looking at 6000.00 to spend but of course if there is no need to spend that much  to get the same result I would welcome the idea.

there are folk using 130" screens without a lens and have been for some years with HDR. not sure a necessity.... maybe just needs calibrating well. I dont think need a lumagen to just do a stretch. havent needed anything to do that on jvcs for years now. but i believe lumagen folks buy more for tone mapping scaling and such. I've not actually read anyone buying one just for reasons you have mentioned :)  but I dont own one ... :D not using one.... leave to someone else to comment on that aspect :) 

anyways as mentioned Rich - Oz has been a scope proponent for years... am sure can let you know what is best ways forward with the jvc...

• Like 1

Hi Alan, 

I have a lumagen Radiance Pro and besides the HDR function for my Z1, my intention for anything in 16x9 is to use the NLS feature to fill a 240 screen, as I have no desire to mask a scope screen, 

I say intention as I am still in the build phase, but not to far from the finishing line, and will get some pics loaded when I am done, 

Many will consider its heresy to stretch a 16x9 image to fill a scope screen, but the Lumagen does it well, and with many adjustments you can dial it in to suit...and it transforms gaming onto another level ?

On the lens front, I have no idea, but my understanding is that your PJ will have to do the vertical stretch and then the lens does the rest, 

I wasn’t prepared to go with both...the funds for a lens are earmarked for a SSP, 

Good Luck, 

Cheers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

One experiment that you could try is to disengage Rec 2020 while playing UHD material to see how HDR material is presented.  The Rec2020 filter cuts light output  significantly so this might make the HDR picture look better.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tasso said:

One experiment that you could try is to disengage Rec 2020 while playing UHD material to see how HDR material is presented.  The Rec2020 filter cuts light output  significantly so this might make the HDR picture look better.  

I was going through the menu the other day and was going to do that but changed my mind while browsing. Will do so today Tasso.

10 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Hi Alan, 

I have a lumagen Radiance Pro and besides the HDR function for my Z1, my intention for anything in 16x9 is to use the NLS feature to fill a 240 screen, as I have no desire to mask a scope screen, 

I say intention as I am still in the build phase, but not to far from the finishing line, and will get some pics loaded when I am done, 

Many will consider its heresy to stretch a 16x9 image to fill a scope screen, but the Lumagen does it well, and with many adjustments you can dial it in to suit...and it transforms gaming onto another level ?

On the lens front, I have no idea, but my understanding is that your PJ will have to do the vertical stretch and then the lens does the rest, 

I wasn’t prepared to go with both...the funds for a lens are earmarked for a SSP, 

Good Luck, 

Cheers 

I was told that an anamorphic lens would give me more light on my screen but after reading some comments,my projector probably has enough light output already built in. I could be wrong though as i am not sure on this, Also some movies change aspect ratio while watching. I want to be able to solve this issue if its possible. So far i am not to concerned which route i go but my knowledge is virtually nil on both ways.

From my personal experience, lens all the way. Just upgraded from a HD350 to an N7 and still kept the lens. For me, yes the extra light helps, but main draw for me is having a 145" scope screen projecting from about 4m which I couldn't do by zooming. I have an Aussiemorphic Mk4 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

I was told that an anamorphic lens would give me more light on my screen but after reading some comments,my projector probably has enough light output already built in. I could be wrong though as i am not sure on this, Also some movies change aspect ratio while watching. I want to be able to solve this issue if its possible. So far i am not to concerned which route i go but my knowledge is virtually nil on both ways.

If you have a scope screen changing aspect ratios don't work, having said that, while yes missing out on picture information top and bottom, most instances the framing is still within the scope portion and I've never felt I'm missing out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

there are folk using 130" screens without a lens and have been for some years with HDR. not sure a necessity.... maybe just needs calibrating well. I dont think need a lumagen to just do a stretch. havent needed anything to do that on jvcs for years now. but i believe lumagen folks buy more for tone mapping scaling and such. I've not actually read anyone buying one just for reasons you have mentioned :)  but I dont own one ... :D not using one.... leave to someone else to comment on that aspect :) 

anyways as mentioned Rich - Oz has been a scope proponent for years... am sure can let you know what is best ways forward with the jvc...

Your probably correct on that Al and your point has been taken mate. Maybe its not light that i need. I do notice that a lot of scenes that are shot outside have enough light weather it be HDR or Standard Bluray. Its just them scenes inside but i do want to solve the 16x9 issue on a scope screen without masking.

5 minutes ago, roachy said:

From my personal experience, lens all the way. Just upgraded from a HD350 to an N7 and still kept the lens. For me, yes the extra light helps, but main draw for me is having a 145" scope screen projecting from about 4m which I couldn't do by zooming. I have an Aussiemorphic Mk4 

Thanks mate, its good to see you are really happy. If everyone here is happy then i know i will be as, we all are after that same type of quality in the end. Your point has been taken in mate.

Since I purchased my JVC X7900, I found that after I had it professionally calibrated, projecting onto a 115 inch 1.3 gain Stewart screen (with side masking), that I could activate HDR mode whilst in low lamp mode.  My calibrator said that this cannot usually be achieved.  Therefore I have not been using my XEIT Crystalmorphic CM-5E anamorphic lens in recent times, and have just let the JVC do the zooming without appreciable loss of brightness (for my setup).  I purchased the Crystalmorphic 5E lens directly this from Tony Dummett, and it is in mint condition.  I also have a CineSlide setup to move the lens in and out of position.  Theoretically I could sell this setup to an interested buyer at an attractive price.

Just saying ....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MrC said:

Since I purchased my JVC X7900, I found that after I had it professionally calibrated, projecting onto a 115 inch 1.3 gain Stewart screen (with side masking), that I could activate HDR mode whilst in low lamp mode.  My calibrator said that this cannot usually be achieved.  Therefore I have not been using my XEIT Crystalmorphic CM-5E anamorphic lens in recent times, and have just let the JVC do the zooming without appreciable loss of brightness (for my setup).  I purchased the Crystalmorphic 5E lens directly this from Tony Dummett, and it is in mint condition.  I also have a CineSlide setup to move the lens in and out of position.  Theoretically I could sell this setup to an interested buyer at an attractive price.

Just saying ....

Nice lens. How good is the cineslide? With my previous projector I had the lens mounted permanently and managed to pick up the cineslide used a couple of years ago. With the new projector I changed from roof mount to a shelf and have been able to incorporate the cineslide. With the JVC N7 it has a installation mode where I just choose my scope preset, it enables the vertical stretch, lens settings and enables the cineslide. 

Edited by roachy
Spelling

2 hours ago, drummerboy01 said:

I was going through the menu the other day and was going to do that but changed my mind while browsing. Will do so today Tasso.

Let us know how you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roachy said:

Nice lens. How good is the cineslide?

How good is it?  .... Damn good ..... it is remote controlled ... $2500 worth.  Purchased from Richard Ward in 2011 and hasn't missed a beat.  I have it ceiling mounted.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marc said:

I think @Rec. 709 has had a lot of experience and success with Lumagen recently.

He was only trying to convince me today to get one :)

As had already been pointed out you don't need a Lumagen just to do stretch, there are other options available. However, if you want stretch and the other benefits of the Lumagen it's worth a serious look. In addition to its video processing capabilities, one of the big benefits of the Lumagen is f LUT calibration- think of colour calibration in thousands of points and 21 point greyscale/luminance. I completed a LUT calibration on a Lumagen and Sony VPL-VW270ES (a bit of a mismatch in terms of price I know) and after calibration and with the Lumagen's Adaptive Tone Mapping the results were just outstanding. I spent far longer with this combination than I normally would after the calibration just because the images were so good.

If you can finder a dealer with a Lumagen nearby I'd highly recommend taking a look.

• Like 2

there's a few things here, as per roachy with light output the lens will certainly help. however more to this, eg with MrC if get calibrated you can get a pretty decent result even with lower light outputs.

something like the previous gen jvc definitely suggest a pro calibration unless know and can do self. common things i hear is 

newer ones n5/n7 are great out of box also come with dynamic tone mapping which is fantastic !  mainly what lumagen brings, but purchasing newer projector might be a cheaper step selling old than lumagen ! not to say lumagen might not bring other benefits in calibration tone mapping etc. 

@Quark might have some comment as lens user with n5 now, with some perspective either way.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MrC said:

How good is it?  .... Damn good ..... it is remote controlled ... $2500 worth.  Purchased from Richard Ward in 2011 and hasn't missed a beat.  I have it ceiling mounted.

No mine not remote controlled. Though there are codes for it. Pretty sure I picked mine up for $700. Remote not needed with the 12v trigger from the projector 

Edited by roachy
Addition

1 minute ago, roachy said:

No not remote controlled. Pretty sure I picked mine up for $700. Remote not needed with the 12v trigger from the projector 

Not sure whether we are talking about the same Cineslide then !!!  There is a big difference in price here!!

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

there's a few things here, as per roachy with light output the lens will certainly help. however more to this, eg with MrC if get calibrated you can get a pretty decent result even with lower light outputs.

something like the previous gen jvc definitely suggest a pro calibration unless know and can do self. common things i hear is 

newer ones n5/n7 are great out of box also come with dynamic tone mapping which is fantastic !  mainly what lumagen brings, but purchasing newer projector might be a cheaper step selling old than lumagen ! not to say lumagen might not bring other benefits in calibration tone mapping etc. 

@Quark might have some comment as lens user with n5 now, with some perspective either way.

I have spoken to Mark Techer and he will be in my area soon enough and he will do the calibration for me as his price was outstanding and found him very helpful on the phone. So once a reference is sorted then i will take it from there.Great help here from all, its a credit to this site and the people on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drummerboy01 said:

I have spoken to Mark Techer and he will be in my area soon enough and he will do the calibration for me as his price was outstanding and found him very helpful on the phone. So once a reference is sorted then i will take it from there.Great help here from all, its a credit to this site and the people on it.

ah good you have that, mark has been doing things with calibrating for HDR for a long while so am sure will sort you out there. he is also right into scope so no question be able to help you out one way or other :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rec. 709 said:

As had already been pointed out you don't need a Lumagen just to do stretch, there are other options available. However, if you want stretch and the other benefits of the Lumagen it's worth a serious look. In addition to its video processing capabilities, one of the big benefits of the Lumagen is f LUT calibration- think of colour calibration in thousands of points and 21 point greyscale/luminance. I completed a LUT calibration on a Lumagen and Sony VPL-VW270ES (a bit of a mismatch in terms of price I know) and after calibration and with the Lumagen's Adaptive Tone Mapping the results were just outstanding. I spent far longer with this combination than I normally would after the calibration just because the images were so good.

If you can finder a dealer with a Lumagen nearby I'd highly recommend taking a look.

Point taken, thanks for the input Rec.709