BlackCoffee

Contemplating moving from Sonos to Yamaha MC

Afternoon all wondered if anyone had any words of advice on the below

Currently got 3 Sonos Play:1s and a boost, have had them for over 5 years now. I was on the verge of getting a Connect so that I can integrate my turntable and also stream through my main listening room setup but Sonos has of course now consigned Connects to Legacy models.

So I could just stick with Sonos, bite the $599 bullet and get a Port but that feels so expensive for what it is and also who's to say my Play:1s become legacy models in the next couple of years and I have to shell out to replace them as well in a couple of years. Im wondering if now is the time to jump ship from Sonos.

It's got me looking at Yamaha Musiccast and getting a WXC-50 and some WX-021s, or even some WX-AD10s and some cheap active bookshelf speakers.

Potentially better future-proofing and maybe a more cost effective way to get the same set up as I would with Sonos.

Anyone got any advice on MusicCast? Is Yamaha going to start discontinuing their models just as freely?

Cheers

M

The Connect will stick work - there are plans to separate the systems into two usable apps from Sonos. Love or hate the brand, theres no denying how long they have supported their products, compared to others.

Yeah I saw that, feels like the S1 app may not be a particularly long term solution though? 

3) Run your existing system on the S1 app. You’ll still get bug fixes and security patches, and we will work with our partners to keep your music and voice services working for as long as we can.

1 hour ago, BlackCoffee said:

for as long as we can.

That's the worry...right there.

6 hours ago, Luc said:

That's the worry...right there.

For some companies thats two generations (Apple anyone?).

Bug Fixes and patches for 15 year old products? Pretty impressive.

Sonos is great. I wouldn’t move to Yamaha, not enough upgrade. 

OK decided to keep an eye out for a cheap Sonos connect and see how that goes. Thanks for the help!

M

Posted (edited)

Yamaha refusing to acknowledge the existent of MQA is just perplexing....

The WXC-50/WXA-50 are now horribly outdated without support for 4xDSD and MQA decoding.

The butterfly figure of eight power supply inlet on both these units is a bottle-neck, where 50% gets the ac polarity wrong thereby leading to degraded sound performance. And I'm only thinking about those versions that are supplied with polarised AC plugs. In countries where they only supply 2-pin non-polarised ac plugs, another potential 50% users will get that wrong again.

And it is so very stupid to apply low frequency filter as a default setting on both units - which audibly degrade sound again.

Edited by jeromelang

15 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Perhaps they’re acknowledging that MQA is a scam...

1 minute ago, Steffen said:

Perhaps they’re acknowledging that MQA is a scam...

Which it most certainly is.

A proprietary cash grab if I ever saw one and very little to do with better sound quality.

22 hours ago, jeromelang said:

The WXC-50/WXA-50 are now horribly outdated without support for 4xDSD and MQA decoding.

The butterfly figure of eight power supply inlet on both these units is a bottle-neck, where 50% gets the ac polarity wrong thereby leading to degraded sound performance. And I'm only thinking about those versions that are supplied with polarised AC plugs. In countries where they only supply 2-pin non-polarised ac plugs, another potential 50% users will get that wrong again.

And it is so very stupid to apply low frequency filter as a default setting on both units - which audibly degrade sound again.

So, if the AC power input changes polarity 50 times every second, how fast can you change the power input plug to keep up with it?