DIY Barium/PVC turntable mat

8 hours ago, Peter-E said:

I made one of these today. Nice and heavy and the surface certainly stops any chance of slippage.

Yes!    Thanks for trying it.   

I use mine regularly.   After some use a very minor "problem" has occurred.  The edge of the backing gets a bit frayed in places and you can see it as it revolves while playing a record.  I trimmed the fluff a bit, but I think I will just colour it black with a felt tip pen next time

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Yes!    Thanks for trying it.   

I use mine regularly.   After some use a very minor "problem" has occurred.  The edge of the backing gets a bit frayed in places and you can see it as it revolves while playing a record.  I trimmed the fluff a bit, but I think I will just colour it black with a felt tip pen next time

Maybe a quick hit with a lighter will stop fraying?

I think this is something I may try. I have a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace and:

"This turntable has a 58mm alloy platter with a 25mm graphite ‘mat’ and is mounted  on its own chassis."

"The 'mat' on the interface between the record and Hyperspace is a 25mm thick graphite platter – which, when married to the soft alloy underneath and coupled by the three anti-expansion rubber rings round the platter, forms a very inert combination indeed."

The trouble with the graphite mat is that it's very slippery. I probably need a clamp or weight to stop slippage but your mat idea could work too. One problem may be the thickness of the mat raising the record and altering the stylus angle to the surface. Vertical tracking is an important part of the set-up equation. Just how thick is the material?

11 hours ago, Grimmie said:

I think this is something I may try. I have a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace and:

"This turntable has a 58mm alloy platter with a 25mm graphite ‘mat’ and is mounted  on its own chassis."

"The 'mat' on the interface between the record and Hyperspace is a 25mm thick graphite platter – which, when married to the soft alloy underneath and coupled by the three anti-expansion rubber rings round the platter, forms a very inert combination indeed."

The trouble with the graphite mat is that it's very slippery. I probably need a clamp or weight to stop slippage but your mat idea could work too. One problem may be the thickness of the mat raising the record and altering the stylus angle to the surface. Vertical tracking is an important part of the set-up equation. Just how thick is the material?

Jaycar website says 2.3 mm.  I will measure mine later, but that is probably correct.

14 hours ago, Grimmie said:

Vertical tracking is an important part of the set-up equation. Just how thick is the material?

Measure with a digital caliper in various places.  All readings 2.15 mm, or less,  as low as 2.08 mm  Probably averages a bit over 2.1 mm.

Edited by aussievintage