WTB: Bookshelf speakers to fill large room

Item: Bookshelf Speaker
Price Range: up to $1500
Item Condition: New or Used ok
Extra Info:

Due to a change in layout of our main living room (we've gone a bit scandi), our new AV cabinet is just over 3 mtrs wide, not leaving much room in the corner of the room for my Dynaudio x32 (which I just love but aren't practical now).

For this reason I'm in the market for a new or 2nd hand pair of bookshelf speakers (white or a lighter colour, not prefer not black & not redwood or any darkwood pls) that will sit on the ends of the AV cabinet.

I've looked online & maybe the Dynaudio Emit 20's, Krix Acoutics MkII, the new Richter Merlin S6, Kef Q350 or Klipsch RP500M's all look interesting but I'm keen to see what else is out there in the 2nd hand market.

These speakers will be driven by a Bel Canto Ref500s Class D amp & will need to pair well with Dynaudio centre. I do have a subwoofer in this room for extra bass.

Cheers all

Matt

Edited by mattjtaylor2809

Hi Matt 

ive got a pair of Krix Acoustics MKII that I bought off a member here a month or so age. I’ve finished playing with them.  He bought them from Living sound centre here in Brissy. in November last year.  So they still have warranty.   I bought them for $700.   So $600 if interested.   Condition is perfect.  Black wood grain   I have the original boxes if your interested.   I also have the original invoice. 

Cheers 

Bill 

I've ordered a pair of these, WAF is high. It was off a recommendation of another forum member, they are still in the mail however so I haven't heard them so can't comment at this time (SNA please do not stone me for buying sound unheard, there are no hifi shops within thousands of kilometres of Darwin to try these things).

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/focal-chorus-706-bookshelf-speakers

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Ruffter
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys,

those focal look nice, wife even said they look good so will do some research on them.

Bill, on reflection I think the Krix maybe too big (not for me but for the wife....having said that I’ve not actually checked the dimensions of the Focals). She’s not keen on black either ?.

Thanks Matt

• Like 1

These sound superb and are available in white. Fantastic sound quality and bass extension that may surprise you. Also a very high WAF.

The listed price in the link can be negotiated to around $1500 and I highly recommend this business. I have no association at all ,just a happy customer.

https://a1futureshop.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=876

Edited by rantan

I was just about to suggest the set of these in the classifieds but they have sold

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-white

Plenty of great youtube reviews out there, but I wonder if they were paid reviews, as they seemed to be reviewed by many youtube channels within a month or so of each other.

w1.jpg?format=1000w

Edited by blybo

I like the look of the Buchard Audio speakers but I didn’t see them, how much were they selling for?

Ive owned Monitor Audio in the past so those Silver 100’s could be an option but would they be any better than Dynaudio Emit 20’s?

funnily enough I have a pair of audioengine speakers in my study & whilst they do punch above their weight & size, I’m not sure they’re the answer?

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

They aren't the highest fi, but my AudioEngine 5+ have surprised me with their ability to fill a decent sized room with decent sound.

They are surprisingly good, but I feel they would run out of steam in a large room. Mine used to be in a 8x3m office space and did run out of puff when I was there alone and push the volume.

18 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

I like the look of the Buchard Audio speakers but I didn’t see them, how much were they selling for?

I think he wanted around $2k, but price is not viewable now.

15 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

How annoying is that! & when things expire the price is removed...makes researching pricing & setting prices much harder now ?

im assuming it’s the retailers who’ve asked for pricing to be harder to see?

@Marc Is that correct?

Cheers

Matt

double edged sword. Sometimes stuff is sold way too cheap either in a desperate need to sell fast, or not knowing the right price. That then creates a new "2nd hand street price" whether it's a true reflection of the value or not.

I'd say those LS50's just sold are going too cheap @$1000. I'd be pi55ed if I wanted to sell some soon and everybody "but XXX sold his for $1000."

Maybe this is an option?

Just been posted in classies...not sure how well it would "fill a large room" etc...but reckon worth a look if you're after a refined bookshelf/standmount speaker.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/308144-sonus-faber-liuto-monitor-speakers-with-matching-stands/

A quick search revealed a promising review:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sonus-faber-liuto-monitor-tas-214/

Edited by zippi