Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

$100 seems reasonable to me. eBay takes $12 of it, and postage is included too. also bear in mind it will be $120 once you add the 2.5mm (XLR) option.

I definitely couldn't do it for much less, and would tear my hair out over that 2.5mm jack for hours probably. The pictures look good to me, and if lamp cable is good enough for Focal then you don't have stress about what wire metal you think you might need..

If you want to be 'wow'd' everytime you plug in, you'll likely need to spend $200-ish, and sky is the limit. See Aurealis for that, or there are other reputable ppl all over the place, EU USA and Asia.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, just picked up a pair of focal clears today, love the build quality and all the extras. Is there a way to ease the clamping force? im not sure if i just have a fat head or im just not used to them yet. My previous headphones were shure SRH-1440's and were super light and weak clamping force where as the clear kinda feels like im being squashed. Loving the sound so far but its only been a few hours so im sure it'll only get better

On 16/08/2020 at 10:14 AM, mugwampjism said:

I believe the pads are what makes Elex Elex. If they can't reproduce them faithfully then the sound will be different.

I wonder if Dekoni pads and some plasti-dip on the chrome would see you right? Dekoni is the best replacement generally, don't know specifically for Elex though.. Otherwise maybe Elegia pads from Focal would be the go, if the drop efforts fall short. I feel that the true Elex ship has sailed.

A NOS pair would be ideal.

There is a post somewhere online where someone pad rolls between all the focal lineup. quite interesting reading. If you had the money, and were so inclined, you could develop your Focal headphones to suit your tastes quite well. I'll look for it hold on.. Here 'tis!

Now that you mention it I've never seen anyone recommend Dekoni for Focals despite their prevalence everywhere else. Thanks for that Torq link, looks like it really does make a huge difference.

At this point I reckon I'm best off waiting for a good deal on the Clears rather than rolling the dice on an Elex.

On 19/08/2020 at 10:48 PM, shadroth said:

Hi guys, just picked up a pair of focal clears today, love the build quality and all the extras. Is there a way to ease the clamping force? im not sure if i just have a fat head or im just not used to them yet. My previous headphones were shure SRH-1440's and were super light and weak clamping force where as the clear kinda feels like im being squashed. Loving the sound so far but its only been a few hours so im sure it'll only get better

Honestly I needed to strengthen my neck. I wear them for 2-3hrs at a time tho.

It gets better over time, your head and the headphones will both adjust a bit

You can bend them, they're aluminium not plastic, so not a big deal, it's one of their best qualities afaic.

Stretch them gently overnight by putting them over something of the correct size for your head, or slightly bigger, or just bend them like a mofo like I did, they're pretty tough.

I've been wondering if the Utopia has the same clamp, with the carbon fibre I guess there is no allowance for stretching?

Edited by mugwampjism

20 minutes ago, mugwampjism said:

Jeez don't tell me all these years I've been pronouncing it incorrectly?

Fo-Cal, anybody?

:D

as it speeds up it gets closer to focal :D  theres definitely an "al" in there am pretty sure though :D 

• Haha 1

My Focal Stellias arrived today. I can't describe how amazing these sound (but I'll try). I'm not audiophile language conversant, but did say use some colourful language when I heard them the first time.

I've listened to lots of setups, and this is insane compared to what I've heard before. My previously setups would be an order of magnitude cheaper than the setup I am using now: A&K SP1000 with these headphones. 

It feels like an aural equivalent of when you go to an eye appointment and they adjust lenses to make everything as clear as can be. You thought you could see before, but suddenly you realise there's a whole new level you were missing out on.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mbd said:

My Focal Stellias arrived today. I can't describe how amazing these sound (but I'll try). I'm not audiophile language conversant, but did say use some colourful language when I heard them the first time.

I've listened to lots of setups, and this is insane compared to what I've heard before. My previously setups would be an order of magnitude cheaper than the setup I am using now: A&K SP1000 with these headphones. 

It feels like an aural equivalent of when you go to an eye appointment and they adjust lenses to make everything as clear as can be. You thought you could see before, but suddenly you realise there's a whole new level you were missing out on.

congrats ! mbd ! welcome to the Stellia family :) this is very true... something i noticed as well and it is bang in the face... you have described very well ! the clarity, detail and just how clean the sound is pretty hard to miss :) 

• Like 1

Agree with the above. 

the beautiful way focal speakers handle details very well translates to their headphones. Listening to monsoon wedding which full of lovely percussion and instrumentation is delivered with utmost delicacy by the Stellia :) not ever getting edgy, frayed at edges or forced... it just flows forth ....all rendered beautifully 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to @JulesOz pointing to what looks a pretty nicely suited headphone stand for the focal Stellia....possibly be other owners interested in one of these. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001394156653.html?

I've already ordered one :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

thanks to @JulesOz pointing to what looks a pretty nicely suited headphone stand for the focal Stellia....possibly be other owners interested in one of these. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001394156653.html?

I've already ordered one :D 

I know owners are interested: I received more enquiries about the stands than the Stellia I was selling :)!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JulesOz said:

I know owners are interested: I received more enquiries about the stands than the Stellia I was selling :)!!

ha ! I didnt want to do it as its your photos... but any chance posting those photos here... with the stellia I agree looks tops ! :) never know might help your sale too with some in the focal ranks temped to move up to stellia  ! :) 

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ha ! I didnt want to do it as its your photos... but any chance posting those photos here... with the stellia I agree looks tops ! :) never know might help your sale too with some in the focal ranks temped to move up to stellia  ! :) 

Oh the Stellia are sold by now. But happy to show some pictures:

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by JulesOz
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently bought Focal Clear as an upgrade for my HD6XX. 

I love the sound of but found it to be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

In particular, it does not wrap around top of my head evenly and caused pressure poin from the headband exactly in the center.

Does anyone have any tips to make it bearable?

Or should I hit the gym to strengthen my neck ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lycos said:

I just recently bought Focal Clear as an upgrade for my HD6XX. 

I love the sound of but found it to be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

In particular, it does not wrap around top of my head evenly and caused pressure poin from the headband exactly in the center.

Does anyone have any tips to make it bearable?

I recently got focal clears as well and thought the clamping force was too tight, i read some suggestions you can bend the metal arms that stick out of the headband but i wouldn't suggest that on headphones so expensive. For me i just got used to the pressure and now they're very comfortable. Only issue im having is the pads/headband are changing color faster than i would like. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lycos said:

Yeah, maybe you should. A little stretching and exercising for a week or two, reps of 10, wouldn't hurt now.

5 hours ago, lycos said:

5 hours ago, shadroth said:

but i wouldn't suggest that on headphones so expensive.

It is exactly because they are expensive, that you can fix it by bending it. IMO. Too good to pass it up without at least trying to make them fit.

I find different lengths make a different curve

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, shadroth said:

Only issue im having is the pads/headband are changing color faster than i would like. 

Yeah. I have ordered the headband cover to prevent that. It's currently on the way (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Knit-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X1-X2-HiFi-Headphones/182524460543?var=485104351276)

Edited by lycos
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, lycos said:

Is Focal Radiance a rebrand of Elegia? 

Or does it have completely new drivers?

Seems like it's a rebrand for their partnership with Bentley.

Edited by JulesOz
  • Like 1