Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

Just now, zxSwifty said:

How do I add that EQ to the Elegias with something like the RME ADI-2

Easy with RME.

Go to his master list but download the RME specific version. 

Then just use the built in 5 band + high/low shelf. 

• Like 1

I did it through Roon. It absolutely did bring the Elegia to life! Scrubbed the mid heavy haze and added much needed air and space up top. I can't recommend those EQ settings highly enough. I also love what that guy did with EQ for the Focal Clear. It's not as pronounced, but it's still an improvement. Like someone wiping away a fine film of haze and fog. 

I'll agree with your friend. 

I don't think Oratory is a god with golden ears. You have to try it and see if it suits you.

In Oratory's defence however, he often includes notes to adjust a, b, c to your liking. 

Edited by elisix_

I agree, everyone's ears are different anyway. But I love Oratory's scientific approach, and the measurements he posts are pretty cut and dry. 

I heard the Utopia with and without the EQ; and for me it just took away from what makes the Utopia so special, that utterly INSANE level or resolution. 

Utopia is quite polarising. I hated it the first few times I listened to it. I was coming from the position of someone who has worn bassy gaming headsets for years and it took time to appreciate the differences. 

Edited by elisix_

21 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

Utopia is quite polarising. I hated it the first few times I listened to it. I was coming from the position of someone who has worn bassy gaming headsets for years and it took time to appreciate the differences. 

I didn't like the Utopias the first couple of times I listened. After listening at home with no outside noise, I began to love them. 

3 hours ago, elisix_ said:

Easy with RME.

Go to his master list but download the RME specific version. 

Then just use the built in 5 band + high/low shelf. 

Thank you, I'll try and figure that out when they come. I'll also have a look for some Stellia EQ settings for the ADI-2. 

2 hours ago, elisix_ said:

I could imagine that being insanely jarring at first. I listen to primarily classical and jazz music, so the Utopia would be perfect, but even at 3k they are a bit beyond me. My first impression of them was of the insane detail and resolution, of the up close and incredibly lifelike texture of instruments and voices. But they are quite forward and bright and I can imagine it takes a while for a lot of people to get used to them. The Clear seems a bit less detailed, but still lovely and open with the right DAC and headphone amp. 

5 hours ago, BadSneakers83 said:

I heard the Utopia with and without the EQ; and for me it just took away from what makes the Utopia so special, that utterly INSANE level or resolution. 

That's how I feel whenever I EQ my Elegia. The EQ detracts from the detail and the punchy bass.

The wording (and the self-promoting) of the statistical 'preference' percentage at the bottom of the pdf really arouses my skepticism

1 hour ago, zxSwifty said:

Thank you, I'll try and figure that out when they come. I'll also have a look for some Stellia EQ settings for the ADI-2. 

He hasn't done any for the Stellia, yet :)

21 hours ago, elisix_ said:

However Hifiman build quality and materials are average at best and lazy at worst. Arya does sound nice though but i'd rather the Focal clear anyday.

I've read that the higher end models (HEK, Susvara) are built better. But yeah, for that kind of money, you'd expect that... Would be curious to know of what your, or anyone else's, impressions of the HEKSE and/or the Susvara compared to the Utopia and Stellia.

3 hours ago, deafenears said:

I've read that the higher end models (HEK, Susvara) are built better. But yeah, for that kind of money, you'd expect that... Would be curious to know of what your, or anyone else's, impressions of the HEKSE and/or the Susvara compared to the Utopia and Stellia.

I've heard that too but reviewers still say they are lacking in build quality. You'd expect them to not just be better than the low end models but be built really well. 

What an objectionable advert and very poor customer reviews

There's a lot of really good products for various types of repairs available but as the OP hasn't contiued with the enquiry,  I assume he's progressed elsewhere - it would be interesting to find out what caused the breakage and the fix.

• 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

I've got the HE-1000 V2's and they feel flimsy when compared to my Focal Elegia's. Headband on the HE1Ks is the weak point. 

That's ridiculous for such a high end headphone. 

I tried EQing Elegia using oratory1990's presets. I used a Mac Audirvana trial -> USB DAC -> Amp. It was not for me.

I thought Elegia sounded worse EQed. The highs were too high. The bass was sharper but that kind of killed enjoyment for me. I much rather these headphones without EQ. Maybe the EQ sounds better on RME, but I don't have one to try and have no plans on buying it so I won't know.

On 27/07/2020 at 8:25 PM, Munce31 said:

I've got the HE-1000 V2's and they feel flimsy when compared to my Focal Elegia's

I have the Audeze LCD 2, and they feel like the third cousin from Nerang compared to the urbane Focals. Loose as, ultimately good, but ultimately no contest in build or sound quality. That the Elear was half the price of the LCD 2 boggles my mind, and I got my Elegia for even less. Superb value for money.

The Australian distributor of focal and naim took some press on a European junket to tour the Focal factory, and the photos looked pretty professional, clean, did you see that? https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/features/373-factory-tour-focal-part-2-a-drivers-perspective

The focus is on their top tier towers, but to my eye it looks more like a Sennheiser operation than what I imagine Hifiman has. ( Which would be a factory in Shenzen manufacturing all sorts of tech for all sorts of companies, right? They don't manufacture in USA do they?)