Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Elegias need break-in. Dixit Focal the surrounds are ultra stiff (not the case on Clear and Elear) and the headphone need 100h for full potential . I broke mine in comparing with my Hd650 and He40

Okay thought I'd join the little Focal Headphones Club here after I couldn't resist A2A B Stock sale...    Intended for a portable headphone system for my truck I am now the very happy owner

I haven’t yet opened the Stellia. I’ll do that for work tomorrow where they will her head time. For now, the Focal Utopia.  

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, mugwampjism said:

Jeez don't tell me all these years I've been pronouncing it incorrectly?

Fo-Cal, anybody?

:D

as it speeds up it gets closer to focal :D  theres definitely an "al" in there am pretty sure though :D 

• Haha 1

My Focal Stellias arrived today. I can't describe how amazing these sound (but I'll try). I'm not audiophile language conversant, but did say use some colourful language when I heard them the first time.

I've listened to lots of setups, and this is insane compared to what I've heard before. My previously setups would be an order of magnitude cheaper than the setup I am using now: A&K SP1000 with these headphones. 

It feels like an aural equivalent of when you go to an eye appointment and they adjust lenses to make everything as clear as can be. You thought you could see before, but suddenly you realise there's a whole new level you were missing out on.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, mbd said:

My Focal Stellias arrived today. I can't describe how amazing these sound (but I'll try). I'm not audiophile language conversant, but did say use some colourful language when I heard them the first time.

I've listened to lots of setups, and this is insane compared to what I've heard before. My previously setups would be an order of magnitude cheaper than the setup I am using now: A&K SP1000 with these headphones. 

It feels like an aural equivalent of when you go to an eye appointment and they adjust lenses to make everything as clear as can be. You thought you could see before, but suddenly you realise there's a whole new level you were missing out on.

congrats ! mbd ! welcome to the Stellia family :) this is very true... something i noticed as well and it is bang in the face... you have described very well ! the clarity, detail and just how clean the sound is pretty hard to miss :) 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agree with the above. 

the beautiful way focal speakers handle details very well translates to their headphones. Listening to monsoon wedding which full of lovely percussion and instrumentation is delivered with utmost delicacy by the Stellia :) not ever getting edgy, frayed at edges or forced... it just flows forth ....all rendered beautifully 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

thanks to @JulesOz pointing to what looks a pretty nicely suited headphone stand for the focal Stellia....possibly be other owners interested in one of these. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001394156653.html?

I've already ordered one :D 

I know owners are interested: I received more enquiries about the stands than the Stellia I was selling :)!!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, JulesOz said:

I know owners are interested: I received more enquiries about the stands than the Stellia I was selling :)!!

ha ! I didnt want to do it as its your photos... but any chance posting those photos here... with the stellia I agree looks tops ! :) never know might help your sale too with some in the focal ranks temped to move up to stellia  ! :) 

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ha ! I didnt want to do it as its your photos... but any chance posting those photos here... with the stellia I agree looks tops ! :) never know might help your sale too with some in the focal ranks temped to move up to stellia  ! :) 

Oh the Stellia are sold by now. But happy to show some pictures:

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by JulesOz
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently bought Focal Clear as an upgrade for my HD6XX. 

I love the sound of but found it to be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

In particular, it does not wrap around top of my head evenly and caused pressure poin from the headband exactly in the center.

Does anyone have any tips to make it bearable?

Or should I hit the gym to strengthen my neck ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lycos said:

I just recently bought Focal Clear as an upgrade for my HD6XX. 

I love the sound of but found it to be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

In particular, it does not wrap around top of my head evenly and caused pressure poin from the headband exactly in the center.

Does anyone have any tips to make it bearable?

I recently got focal clears as well and thought the clamping force was too tight, i read some suggestions you can bend the metal arms that stick out of the headband but i wouldn't suggest that on headphones so expensive. For me i just got used to the pressure and now they're very comfortable. Only issue im having is the pads/headband are changing color faster than i would like. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lycos said:

Yeah, maybe you should. A little stretching and exercising for a week or two, reps of 10, wouldn't hurt now.

5 hours ago, lycos said:

5 hours ago, shadroth said:

but i wouldn't suggest that on headphones so expensive.

It is exactly because they are expensive, that you can fix it by bending it. IMO. Too good to pass it up without at least trying to make them fit.

I find different lengths make a different curve

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, shadroth said:

Only issue im having is the pads/headband are changing color faster than i would like. 

Yeah. I have ordered the headband cover to prevent that. It's currently on the way (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Knit-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X1-X2-HiFi-Headphones/182524460543?var=485104351276)

Edited by lycos
  • Like 2
On 27/08/2020 at 7:56 PM, betty boop said:

Charlotte church

I have really been enjoying her since you posted that, thx

I tried her pop album first.. then, I didn't try it again lol

Everything else is amazing!

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, lycos said:

Is Focal Radiance a rebrand of Elegia? 

Or does it have completely new drivers?

Seems like it's a rebrand for their partnership with Bentley.

Edited by JulesOz
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Marc changed the title to Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread
  • 3 months later...

Another focal HP releasing in a few weeks. Something to do with the letters MG. According to a guy named Nomax on headfi thats got predictions right in the past (he was right about Celestee). 

wonder if it will replace the elear. 

• 2 weeks later...

A cached/leaked page on the new Focal Clear Mg Professional;

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.adorama.com/foprocrpromg.html

it will be interesting to see how the Pure magnesium dome sounds. Interestingly Focal appear to be trying to address soundstage size by pad and internal cup size changes allowing more space around the ear and proximity to the driver.

26625B6B-4659-4A16-A74D-DE31908B333E.jpeg

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1

Considering the material changes used on the Celestee at that price point, i'm surprised they stuck with fabric over leather on the Clear Mg, though it likely has a lot to do with the sound signature achieved using those fabric pads. They just get too messy with the pilling and dirt for me to ever consider. Love the new aesthetic though - those grilles looks great. 

Edited by elisix_
  • Like 1

Yes I agree leather would make sense on pro version for durability.

I have some dekoni fenestrated leather coming for my focal clear, but not sure what the audible effect will be.

• Like 1
On 12/02/2021 at 12:50 PM, Ray H said:

Yes I agree leather would make sense on pro version for durability.

I have some dekoni fenestrated leather coming for my focal clear, but not sure what the audible effect will be.

I have those pads for my Clear Pro. I ended up going back to the stock ones. The fenestrated look great and tame the highs, but it made them feel too closed in for me. A tad dull. Your mileage will very likely vary!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BadSneakers83 said:

I have those pads for my Clear Pro. I ended up going back to the stock ones. The fenestrated look great and tame the highs, but it made them feel too closed in for me. A tad dull. Your mileage will very likely vary!

Thanks ! What do the fenestrated do to the bass ?

Nice colours.

The Pro seems too boring in tuning.

Wonder of they have tuned this one differently. Actually made two different headphones this time.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Nice colours.

The Pro seems too boring in tuning.

Wonder of they have tuned this one differently. Actually made two different headphones this time.

Yes, from the couple of reviews out, it would likely be a mistake for the consumer version to have the same sound sig. I am not interested in the clear pro mg from the reading so far.

From the detail perspective it sounds like real gains have been made, but they haven’t commented on if it has Utopia levels of detail.

’I’ve gotta say the brown one above looks awesome.