Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

39 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

I would say HD800S is also not great as a single headphone - but amazing in a collection. 

Ill just get the Clear I think, that way if the HD800s or the Sony go on sale can just get a pair of them.  Probably the HD800s first then can decide later what headphones to sell haha.

Already bought a new DAC, just need a new balanced amp now.  

This is a perspective that another user gave me when I reached out. He owns (owned I think) both Clear and Utopia.

Clears are warm with a soundstage slightly below the average size. Bass is not as tight as utopia with more sub bass presence. Mids are really well balanced, probably the best sounding mid-range that I've heard in any headphone at that price. Highs are very nice and have great detail to them. Tonality is exceptional and is almost impossible to fault. Best value for money in my opinion.

Utopia is more treble emphasized and it tends to rolls off in the bass slightly, at the very bottom of the frequency range, whereas the clears don't. Mids can be a little harsher at times compared to the clears, with your s and t sounds. Bass is very tight but doesn't thump or hit hard like the clears do at times. Soundstage is basically the same as the clears. Highs are slightly more detailed but not a huge difference in my opinion. Still a detailed King but it's tonality is often criticised by critics, perhaps people with sensitive ears are seeking a warmer sound with less harshness in the mid-range.

Well got the Clear ordered so will see.  From memory the Sony MDR and the Focal have the same connectors?

As I could get the MDR Z1R balanced cable for cheap to use with my Sony ZX507?  Also have a 4.4mm to XLR adaptor for my amp.

12 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

I think the Sony's have some sort of screw on connection. @peppy?

No , same cables as Focal Elegia Clear , Ananda

Z1R comes with screw connectors with pentaconn cable 

Edited by peppy

7 minutes ago, peppy said:

Z1R comes with screw connectors with pentaconn cable 

Thanks for the info.

I think you dont need to screw them in into the Z1R though but same connection.  Only question is will then actually go in the Focal though as not sure if the recess will interfere with the actual connector (the screw in part) into the ear cup.  As the cable is cheap from Sony repairer, way cheaper then a Moon or other replacement cable and you know it will be decent quality as genuine Sony part. 

Edited by sly_bastard

EQ them. Obviously try drive them from whatever output gives most power, if it has bal out with more power, do that. But they are fairly lean compared to a lot of other cans, respond well enough to a EQ though.

2 hours ago, sly_bastard said:

Ok so far liking the Clear, they are a bit lean on the Sony DAP on the 3.5mm though. So now to decide on what to do there.

You mean you need to find a pentaconn terminated cable?

Or are you considering a new source or portable amp?

Edited by mugwampjism

14 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Obviously try drive them from whatever output gives most power

The balanced is more power but no cable (4 times more power) so just added a desktop amp.  I dont mind lean as like the Sennheiser sound.  Ill let them burn in and give it some time to get used to them but they sound good on the smsl amp.

105478032_3210734512322350_2794929620654327412_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, mugwampjism said:

You mean you need to find a pentaconn terminated cable?

4.4mm cable, or ill just get another amp.

Edited by sly_bastard

24 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

You listening station is on a subwoofer

Yep, it's only a 15 inch Cerwin Vega sub but it bearly gets used ATM, it's usually my drink station normally haha.

Its only there for now, will sort something later more permanent...unless I get lazy.  My other/previous station is at my computer desk.

Edited by sly_bastard
  • Haha 1

I keep saying this, but the red contrast looks amazing. Now send me your second pads to use on my new Utopia ?

Oh yeah, I bought Utopia and Stellia today. Month old Elegia for sale! A2A deal gone but hit me up if anyone is still interested in Elegia.

Edited by elisix_
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elisix_ said:

I keep saying this, but the red contrast looks amazing.

I don't need the Clears as I rarely have space for open headphones. I don't have spare cash for them either. BUT I really love the red colour design so I keep thinking about buying them when I see photos haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have Elears!

Would have bet the frame was aluminum inside the padding, not something breakable. Bad luck.

Focal asks more for parts than buying new. You see it in the price of extra cables and whatnot. But for a break in the center like that surely they'll replace it under the warranty?

Like the color of your keyboard btw.

3 hours ago, gwurb said:

I don't need the Clears as I rarely have space for open headphones. I don't have spare cash for them either. BUT I really love the red colour design so I keep thinking about buying them when I see photos haha

I agree.. usually when I see the official photos of the mulberry colour Clear Pro pads I think it could go either way in real life, might be good might be awful, maybe they fade or something... but when I saw sly_bastard's photo irl I immediately (briefly) wished I had them.

So unique, that colour contrast, reminds me of a black luxury car with marone leather interior. 10/10 could live with that colour scheme

Edited by mugwampjism

Hey while I am talking of Focal pads, I just wanted to show everyone my Elegia headpad.. I had that same problem as everyone, where a miniscule amount of head oil quickly makes a dark grey stain across the headband

Worried about it for months..

Then I remembered the time I spilled blueberry reduction on brand new suede shoes, and the internet advice was to rub a drop of dishsoap and a drop of cold water, and it worked a treat on my shoes.

So i did the same on my Elegia, drop or three of dishsoap, water, let it dry over night. Have a look at that!

Tool a little while for the suede to de-clump, I brushed it gently and that helped

IMG_20200603_163839.jpg

11 hours ago, elisix_ said:

I haven’t yet opened the Stellia. I’ll do that for work tomorrow where they will her head time. For now, the Focal Utopia. 

6A5DCC77-D1F4-4827-88E6-76165A1B9644.jpeg.26d589c03c9dd2d04f1e6bf74e6212d2.jpeg
7B7B48C2-0D54-4A62-819E-5D71F0469FF2.jpeg.0ead216fe5cc53a11f3687881ef9e141.jpeg

You run your Utopias off the RME aswell, very nice. What are the speakers? Are they KEFS or studio monitors? Glad you ended up going the Utopia and Stellia route :)

Edited by zxSwifty

Does anyone know how to treat the leather of the Stellias? Is it worth worrying about if there are dark areas and dark spots on the headband?

only info I could find on the matter is from this headfi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-stellia-review-measurements-interview-head-fi-tv.899912/page-81

Edited by zxSwifty