Focal Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

The Elegias need break-in. Dixit Focal the surrounds are ultra stiff (not the case on Clear and Elear) and the headphone need 100h for full potential . I broke mine in comparing with my Hd650 and He400i every 10h of play. The initial sound is indeed lacklustre while I was expecting punch. It is also a bit harsh altogether and the sound is below the other two pairs. 

After 20-30h it is game over for Hifimans and the Senns and after 50h the Elegia becomes indeed stellar with great dynamics while being super balanced.

I have witnessed significant break-in influence in the past for loudspeakers but it is the first time it is so obvious in a headphone. Patience is required for new purchasers.

Edited by pretender
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, pretender said:

The Elegias need break-in. Dixit Focal the surrounds are ultra stiff (not the case on Clear and Elear) and the headphone need 100h for full potential . I broke mine in comparing with my Hd650 and He400i every 10h of play. The initial sound is indeed lacklustre while I was expecting punch. It is also a bit harsh altogether and the sound is below the other two pairs. 

After 20-30h it is game over for Hifimans and the Senns and after 50h the Elegia becomes indeed stellar with great dynamics while being super balanced.

I have witnessed significant break-in influence in the past for loudspeakers but it is the first time it is so obvious in a headphone. Patience is required for new purchasers.

Good to hear that the Elegias need significant break-in. I have a pair of Elegias on the way from A2A. What DAC/headphone amp are you using with the Elegias?

2 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Good to hear that the Elegias need significant break-in. I have a pair of Elegias on the way from A2A. What DAC/headphone amp are you using with the Elegias?

I am using an Iphone on the go, otherwise a Centrance Dacmini at the desk, it does make a difference but the sound is already dynamic and enjoyable with the Iphone. I also tested using a better dac (Project S2) feeding the Centrance headphone amp and there is no doubt that the Elegia reacts well to been fed better.

• Thanks 1

Is it a 5-year warranty or 2? I thought I read somewhere that Focal extended their warranty to 5 years due to various defects that they couldn't account for from the initial shipments. I know the Utopia and Elears are definitely 5 years but I was wondering about the Clear and Clear Pros.

EDIT:

Did some more digging. It's 5 years across the line it seems.

"All headphones from the Elear, Clear, Eligia, Stellia and Utopia groups are 5 year warranty qualified."

"Focal has made it clear the warranty is a uniform 5 year warranty from the date of original purchase by the original purchaser regardless of what territory it was purchased as long as the reseller is an authorized reseller for Focal products. That said, the warranty is good only in the territory it was purchased from. So for example if you bought it in say China but you’re in Germany, it must be resolved by the Chinese reseller/distributor."

Officially: 

"The warranty is transferable if you have the invoice of the very first owner  These headphones are under warranty during 5 years from the very first buyer. The After-Sales Service is ensured by the local dealer or distributor in your country. If you buy your headphones in the US, it will be repaired by Focal Naim America Team. Our distributor network has been trained to change headphones drivers.
Kind regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal"

Edited by Satirical

Do you have recommendations for a 2.5mm balanced cable for Elegia? As in I need to plug in 2.5mm plug in to an amp and have the audio go in to Elegia. I am looking for simple. Probably on the budget scale for now.

All of the focal headphones have 2.5mm mono inputs per ear?

Thanks.

Hmm, already replied in other thread with this one:

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

Found an eBay seller who custom makes some but pretty pricey and he said he's temporarily not making any outside of US/Canada...but seems to load fine (probably gotta ask):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OCC-Silver-Plated-Cable-Hifiman-2-x-2-5mm-HE-350-HE400i-HE560-HE1000-Nighthawk/173389707344

The cheaper options on Amazon have all dried up.

Edited by Satirical
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Satirical said:

Hmm, already replied in other thread with this one:

^

They're dual 3.5mm mono jacks, not 2.5mm.  Just unplug them and have a look, 2.5mm is noticeably smaller.

These are on sale at the moment but a bit short:

Thanks. Good length for me. It looks like they are definitely on the cheap end based on my googling, ebay checks and Amazon searches. The US$35 delivery fee seems a tad high ;) Otherwise it's a DIY I guess. I'll have a look a bit more but these may be the best for now.

I just received my Focals from the A2D B-stock sale. It looks absolutely new, came in a sealed box, with plastic around different parts etc. No sign of any prior use or opening.

For those wondering if B-stock is 'opened' items, it does not seem to be the case for mine. As Marc mentioned, seems to be a case of further discounting by 'tagging' as B-stock

• Like 2

On 04/05/2020 at 9:02 PM, pretender said:

You are absolutely right on the break in part. I've been running in my Elegias which I got a couple of days ago. At first listen they sounded flat and shrilly. About 30 hrs in, they have opened up quite a bit - there is more detail, more air, more bass and the treble is smoother than earlier. Will run them in for a few more days.

Did you find much change in sound after the 100hr mark?

• Love 1

22 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

I just received my Focals from the A2D B-stock sale. It looks absolutely new, came in a sealed box, with plastic around different parts etc. No sign of any prior use or opening.

For those wondering if B-stock is 'opened' items, it does not seem to be the case for mine. As Marc mentioned, seems to be a case of further discounting by 'tagging' as B-stock

I picked up a 'Demo' unit Astell&Kern se100 (RRP $2.5k) for $1000. It was perfectly new, sealed like yours, and had a little 'Demo' sticker on the side.

So I did the same thing this time round with the Elegia, and bless their hearts it is a fantastic deal.

I am very much coming to appreciate A2A. They even went out of their way to get me some unavailable-in-australia Campfire Audio merch over summer, just because I asked them too. Super service!

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 9:06 PM, gwurb said:

Do you have recommendations for a 2.5mm balanced cable for Elegia? As in I need to plug in 2.5mm plug in to an amp and have the audio go in to Elegia. I am looking for simple. Probably on the budget scale for now.

All of the focal headphones have 2.5mm mono inputs per ear?

Thanks.

I've been looking for just this cable lately.

I would not go with the Mezze cable, like you said, $35 shipping USD seems crazy, and I seem to remember that Mezze has a tapering of the jack toward the end that isn't necessarily compatible with Focal. If U look, it sort of steps down at the end.

I have a single ended cable from skyaudio cables on eBay in England, cost about $100 AUD incl postage and I friggin love it, I can show you a photo later. He has changed his postage setting on eBay but would probably entertain an offer still. There's also the similar looking Mi cables or wtv on eBay.

Anything to avoid buying from AliExpress! God I had a tough time trying to get a cable from them when I bought my Elegias a while ago, even though on the face of it there are lots of options.

On 06/05/2020 at 2:46 AM, gwurb said:

Thanks. Good length for me. It looks like they are definitely on the cheap end based on my googling, ebay checks and Amazon searches. The US$35 delivery fee seems a tad high ;) Otherwise it's a DIY I guess. I'll have a look a bit more but these may be the best for now.

I just saw that Hifiman has an eBay shop, with the new 3.5mm connectors on a spare cable he sells.

Is the tip of the Hifiman connectors the hot wire? Are they compatible?I know the Sony mdr-z1 flips the signal on each connector, so to avoid those cables.. pretty sure Hifiman is compatible tho.

I was looking for 2.5mm TRRS (balanced) connection at the amp to Focals. The single ended cable that came with the headphones is working fine. I wanted to use the balanced out of the amp so a 2.5mm TRRS is needed.

I really don't see a lot of alternatives to the Meze cable.

Edited by gwurb

Sky Audio Cable

On 08/05/2020 at 1:03 PM, gwurb said:

I was looking for 2.5mm TRRS (balanced) connection at the amp to Focals. The single ended cable that came with the headphones is working fine. I wanted to use the balanced out of the amp so a 2.5mm TRRS is needed.

I really don't see a lot of alternatives to the Meze cable.

Yeah, I'm looking for the same cable.

I meant to say, the latest round of Hifiman headphones are using dual 3.5mm connectors like Focal does, though stereo plugs not mono, at the headphone end.

https://www.fishpond.com.au/Electronics/NewFantasia-HiFi-Cable-with-25mm-Trrs-Balanced-Male-Compatible-with-Denon-AH-D600-AH-D7200-AH-D7100-Meze-99-Classics-Focal-Elear-Headphones-Compatible-Astell-Kern-AK240-AK380-onkyo-AK320-FIIO/9999934205562

Cable architect will make you one in the USA, https://www.ebay.com/itm/113609004476

Here's one for $100 from Spain

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164082367644

Arctic cable are $200 and I've heard them praised around the forums

And with these guys you can use your iem cable, or at least have 50 options open up

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07G32HCKV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_HwJTEbY0RD24J

And of course, if you are careful, there is handmade Chinese stuff.

You won't find anything much cheaper than the Mezze, except on AliExpress (though you can get the Mezze cable $15 cheaper thru fishpond than thru Mezze themselves) but you might get something a bit nicer for the money.

I don't really have anything against the Mezze cable, just that it looks like a $5 cable for some reason, but I'm sure it's nice.

Edit: I should really really give a shout-out to the guy who made my single-ended cable for my Elegia

https://ebay.com.au/usr/skyaudiocables

Reece was really helpful, did a few experiments for me, and ended up providing exactly what I wanted, 3-day construction and a week in the mail from UK, delivered for about $100

Edited by mugwampjism
added another option, and accompanying photo
  • Like 1

Hi guys!

Hey has anyone noticed that the new Elear from Addicted to Audio are numbered?

I checked around on some pics online and they don't seem to have always been like that? Anyone know about this?

Fwiw, I like it!

I will always be no.152 in Australia!

IMG_20200509_133401.jpg

• Like 2

I've only recently picked up the HD6XX and paired with an iFi HipDAC. So far it's been great. It's quickly dawned on me that these won't be appropriate we return to work in the next month or so.

I was in A2A today to pickup an optical cable for my new KEF LSX and I raised the point above, to which they advised the Focal Elegia were an incredible option. HD6XX for home, Elegia for work.

I was on my way out the door so I didn't give it too much thought, but after youtubing these tonight I think they will be a great option, especially at this price point, paired with the HipDAC for work.

On 26/04/2020 at 7:56 PM, Bengineer said:

ZMF aren't the boring old dynamics ;)

Got the Stellias today after demoing the Utopias aswell, I'm in love. Unfortunately there wasn't a demo pair of the cascades available :( 

edit: was meant to quote you recommending the cascades.

Edited by zxSwifty

7 hours ago, elisix_ said:

which they advised the Focal Elegia were an incredible option. HD6XX for home, Elegia for work.

I got closed back so I could listen without everyone else listening to my music ;) I find that IEMs are just not as comfortable and don't have the same bass kick as over ear cans so cans win it for me.

Focals may have a very different sound to HD6XX so you may want to listen to them to see if you like them?

Edited by gwurb

4 hours ago, zxSwifty said:

Got the Stellias today after demoing the Utopias aswell, I'm in love. Unfortunately there wasn't a demo pair of the cascades available :( 

edit: was meant to quote you recommending the cascades.

Well then. That's a very different price point :P

Cant really get a better closed headphone than the Stellia (or Verite Closed). Nice one!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Well then. That's a very different price point :P

Cant really get a better closed headphone than the Stellia (or Verite Closed). Nice one!

Yes it is haha, I'd love to give the cascades a try still. The guy at the store was telling me that I should upgrade to a high end DAP like the m11 pro, m15, sp1000/m/2000 etc. Do you think this is right? I'm running it off a ha2se atm and enjoy it but find it cumbersume.

Anyone here use stellias portablely?

A good DAP will beat the HA2SE. It is a good unit, but aging now.

Depends what you do, stream or play local files.

Stellias easy to drive.

A Sony 507 will give them a warmer tilt.

M11 is feature rich and good price.

A&K have excellent units, the new SR25 I'd out soon, but A2A is clearing out some older stock for good prices.

Stellias deserve a good source for sure 

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

A good DAP will beat the HA2SE. It is a good unit, but aging now.

Depends what you do, stream or play local files.

Stellias easy to drive.

A Sony 507 will give them a warmer tilt.

M11 is feature rich and good price.

A&K have excellent units, the new SR25 I'd out soon, but A2A is clearing out some older stock for good prices.

Stellias deserve a good source for sure 

I stream from tidal exclusively which rules out any Sony products. I listened to the sr15 and sr25 while I was to demoing the stellias and couldn't really tell a difference in sound. I listened to the m11 pro and m15 briefly and would say it was slightly better than the ha2se.

The music I listen to is mastered to be played in a club / festival so I don't think I can hear a difference between dacs and amps passed a certain point. The music is compressed and has very little dynamic range and soundstage. If someone would be willing to listen to some of the tracks I used to demo them and see how they feel, that'd be awesome, though it might be a bit torturous haha.