FS: Thiel CS 3.6 Speakers

Item Condition: not brilliant
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: East Toowoomba
State: Queensland
Payment Method: Cash on pickup, Paypal
Reason for selling: Not used enough

For sale is a pair of Thiel CS 3.6. They sound brilliant.

I am not getting enough use out of them to justify keeping them.

The good about these:

- all drivers are original - drivers are in very good condition (tiny dent in 1 off the tweeters - not easy to notice)

- Bass drivers have been reconed and are healthy

- absolutely beautiful sounding speakers. 

- Were top of the line when they came out. RRP of over $10k back in 1994 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The bad:

- the cabinets: 1 cabinet is in fair condition. The other cabinet has got some damage in both back top corners (pictured) and one of the bottom back corners.

Specs:

Three-way, passive radiator-loaded (reflex), floorstanding loudspeaker. Driver complement: 10" woofer, 10" passive radiator, 4.5" cone midrange, 1" metal-dome tweeter. Crossover frequencies: 500Hz, 3kHz. Crossover slopes: first-order (6dB/octave). Time response: 150µs, -20dB. Amplitude response: 27Hz-22kHz ±3dB, 29Hz-20kHz ±1.5dB. Phase response: minimum ±10 degrees. Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m (2.8V). Nominal impedance: 4 ohms (2.5 ohms minimum). Recommended amplifier power: 100-500W.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

IMG_20191116_133547.jpg

IMG_20191116_133650.jpg

IMG_20191116_133732.jpg

IMG_20191116_133738.jpg

IMG_20191116_133752.jpg

IMG_20191116_133810.jpg

IMG_20191116_134035.jpg

IMG_20191116_134103.jpg

MVIMG_20191116_133712.jpg

Edited by kamielcat
  • Like 2

yes they were 10 k new

i think the cs5 was still going back then which was their top item,

your one may be a newer one as the mid driver in the early imports ,

dismembered themselves ,and was replaced under warranty, 

due to the glue used at the time 

I don’t know what happened to them... There’s damaged in 3 spots.

I purchased them and had them shipped up from Sydney. Original seller claimed they were mint. Was not happy when I received them. It could have happened in transit. Unfortunately I paid top dollar for these.  

I think they could be fixed by a capable cabinet maker. Inject glue and use the right clamps to get the corners straight again.

Edited by kamielcat
  • Like 1

Too bad the lock down is still in place. I had a road trip plan to Queensland from Vic before, may go to have a look if possible. Thiel higher models were in my bucket list before. Should still sound great despite the body damages?

31 minutes ago, kamielcat said:

I don’t know what happened to them... There’s damaged in 3 spots.

I purchased them and had them shipped up from Sydney. Original seller claimed they were mint. Was not happy when I received them. It could have happened in transit. Unfortunately I paid top dollar for these.  

I think they could be fixed by a capable cabinet maker. Inject glue and use the right clamps to get the corners straight again.

thanks for the info. i think same thing happened to me many years ago when i sent a pair spendor s100 to melbourne via pack and send. They were mint when i sent them and when they arrived the cabinet were cracked in many places. always regretted that as they were lovely speakers. 

18 minutes ago, AR9 said:

thanks for the info. i think same thing happened to me many years ago when i sent a pair spendor s100 to melbourne via pack and send. They were mint when i sent them and when they arrived the cabinet were cracked in many places. always regretted that as they were lovely speakers. 

You always need some luck when you’re shipping unfortunately. There’s never 100 % certainty nothing will go horribly wrong.

4 hours ago, kamielcat said:

Specs:

Three-way, floorstanding loudspeaker.

Drive-units: 1" (25mm) aluminum-dome tweeter with a coaxial 4" (102mm) midrange unit with an aluminum/Styrofoam cone; 10" (254mm) aluminum-cone woofer; 12" (300mm) passive radiator.

Crossover frequencies: Not specified.

Crossover slopes: Acoustic first-order, 6dB/octave.

Frequency response: 28Hz-28kHz, ±3dB.

Phase response: minimum phase, ±10 degrees.

Sensitivity: 86dB/2.83V/m.

Nominal impedance: 4 ohms (2.3 ohms minimum).

Recommended power: 100-400W.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/thiel-cs6-loudspeaker-specifications#oFa08Am4mWrW1Z77.99

The specs you have listed are for the newer model.    The later model was different in every way apart from the shape of the enclosure and the use of first order crossovers.  It had custom drivers which Jim Thiel had designed with his team before his death.  It was a stunning sounding speaker (for the money).

Yours is the early model using OEM sourced drivers.   Its still a very nice speaker just not the same as in the specs you have listed.  If you look at Stereophile article where you got the specs it has a photo of the correct and all new speaker who's specs you have used.

Great price and great sound!

GLWTS

LPG

20 hours ago, kamielcat said:

Queensland - Brisbane region is fairly difficult to sell out-of-the-box speakers. 

I recently shipped my WAR Audio Reference Ones to Sydney from Perth and plan to soon send another WAR Audio speakers to Adelaide.

The ones that went to Sydney arrived in top condition even though they weigh 45kg each.

I think I can now send pretty much any speaker without damage.

What I did (with the help from my friend Paul) is that we:

1. wrapped the speaker with Glad Wrap so that any movement against the bubble wrap (that came next) would not mark the piano finish

2. bubble wrap. Ideally, the roll of bubble wrap should be the height of the speaker column

3. Put them in boxes. We have here in Perth the business called The Box Man who will make box to your specs. Two custom made cardboard boxes cost about $35. Make sure there is no movement inside the box.

4. Put cardboard boxes inside a wooden box. Get one made by local carpenter from his 2 cm scrap MDF panels. I was charged $150 for that. Its weight was 50kg and the total weight of the whole thing was 150kg.

TNT delivery guy gave me the best packed speaker award (or so I heard from the buyer). ? 

Hope it helps.

Here is a pic:

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.a146d4c4ed4a82f90cdc37c4b72ce0b6.JPG

Edited by rockeater
picture
  • Like 7

Thats the key. It tkes 2 mistakes for speakers to get damaged in transport - poor packaging and poor care by the delivery service. Proper packaging can overcome poor handling.

I once had a 30kg speaker with a flight case that could withstand a 3m drop!

• Like 1