Anyone replaced a Topfield PVR hard drive - need advice?

Hi.  I have an eight year old Toppy Masterpiece Plus PVR. The HDD started to play up so today I pulled it out and can purchase another.  Looking at some previous old treads, it can be replaced apparently without too much trouble but I'm not sure what to do with formatting etc.   Has anyone done this and if so can provide some advice eg is it easier to purchase another PVR, tried Humax but the system is foreign to use after the Toppy.  Looked at Beyonwiz but some negative comments and seems the may apply to some other brands so I'm wondering whether to replace the Toppy's HDD and use that despite it being old but worked well?  Thanks. 

The notes I see about this suggest it will boot up and see the new disk and ask to format it.

As long as you're not needing to copy over existing recordings, it should be as easy as;

shutdown and unplug

disassemble enough to remove and replace hdd

reassemble

plug in and turn on

agree to the on-screen prompt to format the new hdd

wait till format is complete

58 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

The notes I see about this suggest it will boot up and see the new disk and ask to format it.

As long as you're not needing to copy over existing recordings, it should be as easy as;

shutdown and unplug

disassemble enough to remove and replace hdd

reassemble

plug in and turn on

agree to the on-screen prompt to format the new hdd

wait till format is complete

Hi Peter. Thanks for replying.  That is what I thought but wanted to see if anyone had done the swap and experienced any issues.  It should be straightforward.....   Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Allan1503559596 said:

...wanted to see if anyone had done the swap and experienced any issues.  It should be straightforward.

I had mine replaced (in a similar model to yours), but it was done under warranty by the service agent, so I didn't get to see it first hand.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Topfield TRF-7160 after many years of faithful service the HDD started to play up about a year ago. Everyone in our home is used to the interface so there was no other option but replace the HDD.

I bought a Western Digital Purple HDD, which is what they recommend for video surveillance ( 24 /7 operation) for about $80. I bought a 1T drive even though WD sells larger versions I had read that the Topfield can not understand drives over a certain size.

From memory, I simply unplugged the other drive and replaced it with the new drive and the Toppfield did the rest.

I purchased an external HDD to USB caddy device because I thought I may have to format the new drive with my PC. Since it was not needed I put the old Topfield HDD into because we had some content we wanted to access. Only the Toppy could read the old HDD (there may be a way with a PC but I did not easily figure it out). I think I could copy shows from the old HDD to the new HDD and play then from the old HDD but it was clunky.

I reached a point that I questioned why I was spending my time copying a 5 year old episode of a soap opera TV show that no one had watched, across to a new HDD so that no one would watch it. A lot of the content was recorded automatically using Intelligent record and no one had bothered to cull. I wished I had done some culling or build a short list before replacing the drive or not let on I had the ability to migrate stuff ?Topfield.thumb.jpg.ec0db9f8d2bb7ee4c06d1086e3bd5d4a.jpg