Most suitable Atmos Speaker to complete my System

Hi.  I am hoping that someone can help with this please.

I live in a townhouse (Combined Lounge/Kitchen/Dining.

My Updated Home System comprises - Marantz NR1710 4K AV Receiver / Pioneer UDPLX500 4K Blu-Ray Player / Richter Thor S6 Sub /  Richter Wizard Floor Standing Speakers S6 / Polk S35 Centre Speaker / 2 x Jamo Ceiling Speakers W606FG.

I am looking to complete my System with Aperion A5 Dolby Atmos Speakers that will sit on top of the Richter Floor Standing Speakers.

I don't know much about the Aperion A5 apart from the fact that it would sit nicely on top of the floor standing speakers.

Can anyone please tell me if the Aperion A5 is a good choice or not?

Thanks,

Paul 

Hi Paul, 

Sorry I’m not going to be able to answer your question but if you don’t mind can I ask how you find the integration of your Centre speaker and mains? I’m looking to setup up something similar (also with ceiling for rears)in the near future just trying to get some ideas - thanks!

Hi Redmosquito.

Firstly, I am very new to all this. Not an expert at all.

That said, I find my set-up with the centre / floor standing speakers is excellent. I am in the process of changing the mains over from Polk to Richter Wizard Series 6. They should arrive tomorrow hopefully.

My surround speakers (2) are in the ceiling. They probably should have been more behind the main listening point but ended up just above the main listening point.  When watching movies though I often look over my shoulder as the surround is very realistic.

I made the choice to buy excellent quality items - and this has certainly paid off.

I have decided to go with 2 additional in ceiling speakers instead of them sitting on top of the main speakers. Still looking for suitable speakers and still getting help as to where they should be located to create the best Atmos experience.

I chose the Polk Centre speaker more on how it looks in my set-up but also made sure it would blend with my mains - and it does that very well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul

If you liked the Polk centre and it matched well with the Richter fronts, why not go Polk for heights in the ceiling? I'd probably get an extra pair to replace your rears as well.

I'm no expert but currently going through the upgrade journey as well to Atmos. Frontrunner for heights for me is Polk from www.selby.com.au

DSCN0922.JPG.aaf50b4ec440bd9b2eab1c66df24d648.JPGHi. and Thanks for your reply.

Not a bad idea.  I will have a look at the Polk's as I hadn't really considered them.

I'm changing over from the Polk Mains S55 to the Richter - should be arriving tomorrow.

There was nothing wrong with the Polks at all - I just really liked the Richter (Who also offer email support).

DSCN0921.JPG

Thanks Paul. 

Sounds like the setup is working well for you. Interested in your feedback when you get the richters. I was thinking of 2 ceiling rears and 2 Atmos for a 5.1.2. I also don’t have a back wall and can’t do sides either...

They tell me that ceiling speakers are by far the better option for Atmos and Surround Sound.

If you do a drawing of your room and current set up - there are many people on this forum that would be willing to help you and give you appropriate advice.

I have added a drawing of my set-up just to give you an idea.

Home Entertainment Centre Drawing_20200505_0001.pdf

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, redmosquito said:

Thanks Paul. 

Sounds like the setup is working well for you. Interested in your feedback when you get the richters. I was thinking of 2 ceiling rears and 2 Atmos for a 5.1.2. I also don’t have a back wall and can’t do sides either...

That won't really work. You need your bed level speakers to all be on the same plane and well separated from your heights.having your Surrounds and your Atmos both on the ceiling is just wrong. Depending on where your current ceiling speakers are you may be better off just using them as Heights and using normal surrounds.

A drawing or pics would help.

just seen this thread...

height speakers definitely need some differential to work as heights speakers... otherwise they won't be heights ?

if you are doing just front heights you will get differential there vs lower on bed fronts and centre. the sides/rear if they are already in the ceiling then the sound stage there will just be raised up :) 

if an open plan setup.... usually best suggestion for bed surrounds is then floor standing or bookshelf speakers on stands to serve as surrounds... you can then have your height speakers in the ceiling ... and actually if you have those already there as surrounds you can re purpose as heights ...

i hope makes sense do ask more if clarification needed ....

Hi Betty Boop .....

Thanks for your reply - appreciated!!

I've decided that instead of getting speakers to go on top of the 2 front floor standing speakers - I would prefer to add 2 additional ceiling speakers for the atmos effect  - but just not sure where to put them? 

I just don't have the room for floor standing surround speakers - so that's why I originally put 2 ceiling speakers in instead.

The current ceiling speakers are Jamo - they are meant to be for wall mounting but I was told that they would be fine in the ceiling. They do have some adjustment in the actual speaker. I would prefer the 2 additional speakers to be the same as otherwise it would look strange when you look at the ceiling.

Hope this all makes sense??

Thanks ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacky2824789 said:

Hi Betty Boop .....

Thanks for your reply - appreciated!!

I've decided that instead of getting speakers to go on top of the 2 front floor standing speakers - I would prefer to add 2 additional ceiling speakers for the atmos effect  - but just not sure where to put them? 

I just don't have the room for floor standing surround speakers - so that's why I originally put 2 ceiling speakers in instead.

The current ceiling speakers are Jamo - they are meant to be for wall mounting but I was told that they would be fine in the ceiling. They do have some adjustment in the actual speaker. I would prefer the 2 additional speakers to be the same as otherwise it would look strange when you look at the ceiling.

Hope this all makes sense??

Thanks ....

with drawing posted the jamo in ceiling look to be pretty well placed as height speakers...

I know say no floor standing speakers ...but what is stopping the polk floor standers that are going to become surplus...being re allocated to L&R side surround duty...

ive had open plan before ... if running cables an issue you just run along walls cabinets... under furniture along skirtings hide anything exposed with small floor mats to rugs....

you can have a really nice 5.1.2 setup with your polks set behind rear of couch along side walls just above where says dining one side kitchen the other ...

slightly seperate question/point

you sit on the left side of the couch I assume the wife sits on the right.

Have you done a sub crawl - the sub may be better in the right corner with the front speakers and tv sliding a bit more central to the left (say width of sub) which may center the screen / front/centre speakers better.

The above will depend on how the sub is/can be placed.

Just a thought

Edited by hometheatrebugbitten

Hi Betty Boop ....

Yeah I can see exactly what you mean but I am a minimalist - hate clutter - and my OCD would be really bothered by this set-up.

I know it makes total sense but would prefer ceiling speakers - out of the way - and blending in to the white ceiling.

I appreciate your help though .....

3 hours ago, niterida said:

That won't really work. You need your bed level speakers to all be on the same plane and well separated from your heights.having your Surrounds and your Atmos both on the ceiling is just wrong. Depending on where your current ceiling speakers are you may be better off just using them as Heights and using normal surrounds.

A drawing or pics would help.

Oh yes that makes total sense. I don't want to hijack Paul's thread so will start a new one with some drawings. It will be a new setup as moving to a new place but not for a while so will do so later down the track. 

• Like 1

Hi Hometheatrebugbitten!!

The only issue is that there is another lounge suit, which I didn't put in the drawing - that would totally block one of the speakers.

I have looked closely at this but being a not so huge space I can't see another option.

Appreciate your help though ....