MM Cartridge Recommendations

MM cart recommendations
Im looking at buying a Systemdeck IIX turntable with a Micro Seiki CF-2 tonearm. It has no stylus/cart and I'm not sure what would be the best MM cart for it considering the lightness of the arm? Any advice would be much appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Allanhr said:

MM cart recommendations
Im looking at buying a Systemdeck IIX turntable with a Micro Seiki CF-2 tonearm. It has no stylus/cart and I'm not sure what would be the best MM cart for it considering the lightness of the arm? Any advice would be much appreciated.

From the searching I've just done ... the CF-2 seems to be an excellent arm - but very light (eff mass of 6 or 7 gms).

Therefore you need a relatively high compliance cart - this means an MM, not an MC.

Looking at the VE Resonance Evaluator - here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=7&submit=Submit

I would suggest compliance around 20, weight from 5gm to 10gm.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grab a NOS Empire 2000E/III. Pretty unbeatable for the price and still readily available on eBay. Spectacular performance that you can never mistake for digital content.

Edited by MattyW
  • Thanks 1

I have just gone through looking for high compliance carts for a 4g Tone arm.  Gone with ADC XLM mkII to see what they are like.

I do have an Empire 2000E/III and it is a very nice cart on my CJ Walker with Rega RB301.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. 

Yes I've been told the tonearm is quite light and that Id need a high compliance MM cart with some weight. 

I'm not sure about my budget? I guess once I know the approx. value of a good compatible cartridge for the TT and tonearm, I can put forward a reasonable offer to the seller. Not sure what that would be? Suggestions?? 

2 hours ago, Allanhr said:

...Yes I've been told the tonearm is quite light and that Id need a high compliance MM cart with some weight...

Extra weight would bring out the best from a medium compliance MM cart with this arm.

A suitable high compliance MM cart should be a good match without extra weight.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, andyr said:

From the searching I've just done ... the CF-2 seems to be an excellent arm - but very light (eff mass of 6 or 7 gms).

Therefore you need a relatively high compliance cart - this means an MM, not an MC.

Looking at the VE Resonance Evaluator - here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=7&submit=Submit

I would suggest compliance around 20, weight from 5gm to 10gm.

Andy

I agree except for the Supex 900 which ran beautifully on a Grace 707.

This of course defies the rules.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I agree except for the Supex 900 which ran beautifully on a Grace 707.

This of course defies the rules.

Actually, it doesn't.  :)

The only specs I could find for the Supex SD-900 (on the VE Cart DB) show a compliance of 13 and a weight of 10gm.  This is in the 'green zone' on their Resonance Evaluator - just not as much as a compliance of 20 is.

Andy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyr said:

Actually, it doesn't.  :)

The only specs I could find for the Supex SD-900 (on the VE Cart DB) show a compliance of 13 and a weight of 10gm.  This is in the 'green zone' on their Resonance Evaluator - just not as much as a compliance of 20 is.

Andy

Thanks for the information ?

• Like 1

For the recent Hi Fi News review of the Dual CS 600 turntable, the effective mass of the tonearm was estimated as between 6-7 gms. Ken Kessler sucessfully used the Eat Glo No 5 MC cartridge. He liked the combination.

Just saying.

• Thanks 1

A shame you're not in Brisbane.

Will be selling my S.A.M. Aldebaran (Fidelity Research FR-14 & 64S tonearms) and Victor TT-71 with Fidelity Research FR-54 tonearm shortly. Will be a local sale only though.

Edited by MattyW

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

A shame you're not in Brisbane.

Will be selling my S.A.M. Aldebaran (Fidelity Research FR-14 & 64S tonearms) and Victor TT-71 with Fidelity Research FR-54 tonearm shortly. Will be a local sale only though.

Bumma :(

18 hours ago, Allanhr said:

No I didn't unfortunately. The turntable I was looking at buying it for fell through. 

Now back looking at turntables to buy. 

I'm selling my Thorens TD160 Super. I'm in Sydney. Here is the link<https://www.aussieaudiomart.com/details/649617951-thorens-td160-super-sme-3009-series-iii-arm/>

Edited by Honreekea
  • Like 1