Spukee

Being satisfied for now... and how long it lasted.

On 03/05/2020 at 5:45 PM, bryansamui said:

Being a musician, i found the better i got, i became more obsessive about my playing my instrument and a little less about my Hifi gear..

I found the same,  the more I play musical instruments,  the less obsessive I am about hifi.

Been in a stable place with my hifi for 4-5 years with no great changes, beyond phono cartridges.  I should say that I have two very different amp/ speaker combos  that I cycle between every few months (one solid state, the other low powered valve SET). This helps avoid the lure of the classifieds. If I need a different sound,  I pull out the other system.  

2 hours ago, mkaramazov said:

I found the same,  the more I play musical instruments,  the less obsessive I am about hifi.

Been in a stable place with my hifi for 4-5 years with no great changes, beyond phono cartridges.  I should say that I have two very different amp/ speaker combos  that I cycle between every few months (one solid state, the other low powered valve SET). This helps avoid the lure of the classifieds. If I need a different sound,  I pull out the other system.  

Spot on.. 'Variety is the spice of life'.. Half the time we change gear its just a change of direction.. See it in the classifieds all the time as being the reason for sale

happy with my lot, and lot of my hifi hasn't changed in years...some i hope to never change 😮 

gotta reach a point of contentment... yes there will always be better, but gotta stop and smell the roses :D 

On 02/05/2020 at 6:16 AM, Spukee said:

I know this is an endless hobby and I have but a modest setup, but have you ever sat down, listened to familiar and unfamiliar music and thought

'This is pretty good.  I am happy with how things sound right now.  I should probably stop looking at the Classifieds.  For now.'.

I feel that I have reached this point in my current listening room (family room) and would need to pay substantially more to improve.  Quite satisfied really 🙂.

The last time I remember this happening was many moons ago when I bought the Sennheiser IE800 IEMs - jumping from a Sennheiser IE80.  Almost a threefold jump in cost, but kept me from upgrading for many years.  Prior to that was buying the Elac BS244 bookshelves and upgrading from a B&W 685 - and that was almost a four fold jump in cost.

I'm curious to hear at what point people have reached this point in their HiFi journey and with what specific purchase and/or tweak.  And for how long this lasted :-).

Interesting. I recall someone on SNA once said some use their gear to listen to music, some use music to listen to their gear, and some are in between. Maybe the ones who listen to music are more likely to escape from the upgrade path and enjoy satisfaction for longer than the others - just a guess.

It has been 10 years since I have bought anything major as i was finally happy with my system.

So I did not visit here any where near as much as I did when building my system.

It is only recently I have returned here to see what is going on which prompted me to hook up my Tube Amps ounce again after them sitting in boxes for a long time, so my only purchase in 10 years is 2 power cables fro a local maker.

I still love window shopping so to speak but I am not going to change anything unless something goes horribly wrong with my present set up , which is  Droplet CDP 5.0,  Music First Pre,  Melody M88Q,  Sonus Faber Guarneri

Got to say it's often curiosity about components I've read about drive purchases rather than anything else.

Open Baffles was the last thing I was curious about and the high efficiency of the drivers I selected pretty well mandated that I sell my 100WPC darTZeel NHB108B copy and go to a lower wattage amp such as the 6WPC Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 I'm currently running.

Likewise the JVC QL-Y5 which I now have on the way is about getting down to a single tonearm that will get great performance from any cartridge....  That and I've been curious about servo controlled arms since I first got into vinyl but have resisted based on reliability concerns. I guess I'll just have to get it fully recapped.

The AKSA Paris head amp will let me run my low output moving iron carts, and get optimal loading for any cart on the planet so I can sell off my selection of high end SUT.... Well,  all but the Fidelity Research FRT-4 as it sounds great and will work with any low output moving coil.