Spukee

Being satisfied for now... and how long it lasted.

I know this is an endless hobby and I have but a modest setup, but have you ever sat down, listened to familiar and unfamiliar music and thought

'This is pretty good.  I am happy with how things sound right now.  I should probably stop looking at the Classifieds.  For now.'.

I feel that I have reached this point in my current listening room (family room) and would need to pay substantially more to improve.  Quite satisfied really 🙂.

The last time I remember this happening was many moons ago when I bought the Sennheiser IE800 IEMs - jumping from a Sennheiser IE80.  Almost a threefold jump in cost, but kept me from upgrading for many years.  Prior to that was buying the Elac BS244 bookshelves and upgrading from a B&W 685 - and that was almost a four fold jump in cost.

I'm curious to hear at what point people have reached this point in their HiFi journey and with what specific purchase and/or tweak.  And for how long this lasted :-).

For myself............many times, how long it lasted was very variable, too many times to detail any one. For myself the itch returns fairly quickly but is limited by budget, maybe that is a good thing :D

After recently upgrading my speakers, amp and TT, I’m at a pretty good place right now. I tend to be drawn to the setup - always wanting to listen and more importantly, explore new music.

I haven’t been there for a while, but suspect it will last a couple of years before I look at the next significant upgrade. 

I’ve been into Hifi from the tender age of 15yo.  Working at a service station ( in the wonderful old days of full service ) saving my money to buy my first Hifi system. A technics system.  

Well, many many years later and countless amounts of gear, I have a fairly decent system, ( Naim unity star, Spendor D9’s , clearaudio TT ) certain not high end, but I’m pretty happy, and listening to music, not the gear.   

But saying that, I’m always looking for that next step.   Very slippery slop this hobby 

46 minutes ago, Spukee said:

I feel that I have reached this point in my current listening room (family room) and would need to pay substantially more to improve.  Quite satisfied really 🙂.

And long may that feeling of satisfaction last ! : )

I have been afflicted by regular surges of upgrading throughout the forty years I have been assembling systems (when affordable) and am now at a similar point to what you describe in that I am more focused on my collection of music as opposed to equipment. I must admit it is not because I have no ambition to own a better performing system, it is like you say, that I would need to spend significantly more to make substantial improvements and that just is not possible.  Fortunately my current system – which itself represents a distinct contrast to all my previous systems – is providing me with levels of emotional engagement with music that my lack of capacity for upgrades of a fundamental nature are not frustrating like they may have been in the past.  This duality of yearning for improvement and desire to be satisfied with what you have, can be both inspired and exacerbated by continuing exposure to alternative equipment and systems that may occasionally perform at higher levels than your own. 

I would advise you enjoy this current feeling for as long as possible and make the most of it by staying away from online Audio journalism and classifieds which will always throw up new alternatives that present as upgrade opportunities to tempt you once your feeling of satisfaction wanes – which regrettably can be a common experience.  The more you are immersed in listening to music and developing your own musical collection and spend times on sites like CD Universe, Elusive Disc and Presto Classical etc)  the better : )

Good luck!

My first hifi was an all in one TT, tapedeck & CD player Teac in about 1988.

Many moons later about a month ago was when i finally just thought “no more “ I was told “ we need to talk about the Linn Karousel” Wasn’t so much that but the realisation that I already love the sound I am hearing, love the aesthetics, placement & our living room. Years ago I was told by an unknowing mentor “ trade in your cars, buy boats, sell your houses but no matter how much money you make don’t trade in your wife “ I will now also add that I am happily married to my hifi until death do us apart.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

I have been afflicted by regular surges of upgrading throughout the forty years I have been assembling systems (when affordable) and am now at a similar point to what you describe in that I am more focused on my collection of music as opposed to equipment. I must admit it is not because I have no ambition to own a better performing system, it is like you say, that I would need to spend significantly more to make substantial improvements and that just is not possible.  Fortunately my current system – which itself represents a distinct contrast to all my previous systems – is providing me with levels of emotional engagement with music that my lack of capacity for upgrades of a fundamental nature are not frustrating like they may have been in the past.  This duality of yearning for improvement and desire to be satisfied with what you have, can be both inspired and exacerbated by continuing exposure to alternative equipment and systems that may occasionally perform at higher levels than your own. 

I would advise you enjoy this current feeling for as long as possible and make the most of it by staying away from online Audio journalism and classifieds which will always throw up new alternatives that present as upgrade opportunities to tempt you once your feeling of satisfaction wanes – which regrettably can be a common experience.  The more you are immersed in listening to music and developing your own musical collection and spend times on sites like CD Universe, Elusive Disc and Presto Classical etc)  the better : )

Good luck!

"make the most of it by staying away from online Audio journalism and classifieds which will always throw up new alternatives that present as upgrade opportunities to tempt" 🙂

Edited by SBM

15 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Good luck!

This is exactly what I am doing - though partly by habit, I'm still on the classifieds quite often.

Because the system (to me) is fairly balanced now, I feel I can introduce myself to "new" music or new genres.  Tidal helps immensely too!

1 minute ago, Spukee said:

This is exactly what I am doing - though partly by habit, I'm still on the classifieds quite often.

Because the system (to me) is fairly balanced now, I feel I can introduce myself to "new" music or new genres.  Tidal helps immensely too!

Good to hear  : )

My upgradius is heavily effected by budget, and I only get itchy feet and start looking to improve things when I give myself the green light to spend more (well ok the financial controller gives me the green light!) I know for my money right now my performance is probably as good as I could buy and that actually gives me the comfort I need to enjoy the music.

Add more $$$ to the mix and that comfort quickly goes away. Currently researching a speaker upgrade that will come when the money does.

Posted (edited)

Since getting my last piece of kit, the Minidsp 22D with Dirac Live 2.0, I think I have been the most relaxed about my system.   That was 6 months ago.

Having rebuilt my CAPS music server with the Mutec, 22D and Kii 3 I often sit, listen and smile.    The only small itch is maybe the BXT model to go with the Kii 3's.   But at around $20,000 I think a couple of 10" Rel's or JlAudio or Rythmik with a Minidsp 4x 10hd would get the same job done for under half the BXT price. 

I look at stuff everyday in the classifieds but 99% holds no interest any more.

I guess that's a good thing 🙂

Good for the wallet anyway.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

For me, it its a cyclical event, 6 occurrences in 40 years where I have gone in pretty savage and upgraded either all, or key components,

The last 2 within 2 years, and currently at the end of one ... a bit scary but very happy where I am  !!!!   Big Class A SS, Aussie built speakers and now into Valves ....eck !!!!!

3 hours ago, Rosco8 said:

For me, it its a cyclical event, 6 occurrences in 40 years where I have gone in pretty savage and upgraded either all, or key components,

The last 2 within 2 years, and currently at the end of one ... a bit scary but very happy where I am  !!!!   Big Class A SS, Aussie built speakers and now into Valves ....eck !!!!!

I did an exercise and listed down all HiFi and Home Theatre purchases in the last 20 years and mine is cyclical as well.  Like you - when it happens, it seems to happen hard.  Seems like a single product piques my interest, then a slew of purchases ensues 🙂.  Then stops almost immediately.  In my case, seems to be an interest in other hobbies or life takes over.  Then the cycle starts again!

3 hours ago, Rosco8 said:

That's my approach too. Very happy with my current setup, and looking at it, the only thing that's left over from my last hi-fi is a few power cords and the Esoteric P700 CD transport, and that's because I basically don't play CDs any more.

Here is a potential cure for 'Upgrade itis'.. Learn to play a musical instrument. Split your music enjoyment into the 2 hobbies. 

Being a musician, i found the better i got, i became more obsessive about my playing my instrument and a little less about my Hifi gear.. Both are great hobbies no doubt but playing/ creating music in real time beats listening to a 'ghost experience' for me.. One could liken it to the excitement /rush a rugby player has scoring a Try in real time vs the 2nd hand experience of watching it in the crowd.. (No comparison) 

The irony being I've just ordered some new speakers to arrive in 3 weeks lol.. 

1 hour ago, bryansamui said:

Here is a potential cure for 'Upgrade itis'.. Learn to play a musical instrument. Split your music enjoyment into the 2 hobbies. 

Being a musician, i found the better i got, i became more obsessive about my playing my instrument and a little less about my Hifi gear.. Both are great hobbies no doubt but playing/ creating music in real time beats listening to a 'ghost experience' for me.. One could liken it to the excitement /rush a rugby player has scoring a Try in real time vs the 2nd hand experience of watching it in the crowd.. (No comparison) 

The irony being I've just ordered some new speakers to arrive in 3 weeks lol.. 

haha yes good points but I was playing an instrument long before I started building hifi systems...

Posted (edited)

first stereo at 16, a few changes with low level gear, then in 1979 purchase a Linn Sondek, 1983 was when i spent big, borrowed money for home reno's, but , bought some good gear, lasted till 2005 when amp died, then many changes, amp didn't suit old speakers, bought new speakers, not happy with amp, changed again, kept amp no 6, now no 7 a tube amp finally. Sold the Linn a few years ago, now have an old Rega Planar 2 i modified, running three systems at the moment but happy with all three, still look at the classifieds every day

Edited by wen

57 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

haha yes good points but I was playing an instrument long before I started building hifi systems...

Yes.. So was I actually.. And I find the Aural Stimulation of Music whether performing or listening far more involving than i do involving myself to watch a full length movie. 

I get too restless to watch many films. 

I've bought and sold a bit of gear over the years and i think i have got worse gear than i had 20 years ago! 

A few bad choices here and there ( Synergy wise) Let go a Plinius SA100 and Tom Lewitt Firefly Tube Preamp in a moment of madness. Should never have got rid of that pairing (what was i thinking?.. must have been on drugs lol!) 

Posted (edited)

Too many times to count. The only part of my last system left is the turntable and SUT, and I've plans to replace both. I hope to be done after that though I guess I'll see  :)

Going to an Aksa Paris head amp in place of my various SUT as it will let me run my various low output moving iron carts rather than just my MC's. I'm thinking about selling off my 3x turntables and sourcing a JVC QL-Y7. One arm that will work well with any cartridge in existence  vs running tables with multiple arms. Would save space. Course it will need a recap. ;)

Edited by MattyW

Posted (edited)

I'm rather happy with an early Metaxas Soliloquy power amp driving Lenehan ML2+Rs fed from a Gieseler Audio Konverter DAC/Pre. This took quite a few attempts to get to. 

The second system, which does family duty, is a Redgum RGi60ENR driving Lenehan ML1 Reference all fed by a Gieseler Audio Klein III DAC. 

I like that both system's components were all hand built in Australia. I'm curious about ME Amplifiers. 

The temptation to upgrade something is there but focusing on room treatments for now for the main system.

And something that put a lot of clarity into it all. I asked myself what I'm trying to achieve? For this I'm digesting a book by Toole, Sound Reproduction: Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms. 

Edited by DrSK

19 hours ago, DrSK said:

And something that put a lot of clarity into it all. I asked myself what I'm trying to achieve? For this I'm digesting a book by Toole, Sound Reproduction: Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms. 

I was asking myself the same thing.  What is deficient in my system I am trying to address?

I can still answer this question so it is definitely not over for me, but at least now I can tick a lot of boxes - now happy with response top to bottom, soundstage and depth.  Off to other things now like wanting more "naturalness" or "musicality".

Well that didn't last long.  When did I post this?  Saturday?  Well Sunday ended up buying a new DAC straight from the classifieds and took delivery of it today.

Like an audiophile junkie looking for his next hit... 🙂

24 minutes ago, Spukee said:

Well that didn't last long.  When did I post this?  Saturday?  Well Sunday ended up buying a new DAC straight from the classifieds and took delivery of it today.

Like an audiophile junkie looking for his next hit... 🙂

What is the DAC and what did it replace?

Topping D90.  Curiousity got the better of me.  Evaluating it against an 9 year old Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC Preamp.

I'm impressed so far with the outright transparency, velvet smooth midrange and natural sound, but there's something about the euphonic presentation of the Minimax I like.  Maybe my ears just need burning in...