Floorstanding Speaker recommendation

Hi,

I currently have Dynaudio Contour S1.4  and looking forward to upgrade to a floor stander. I want to try 3-way if possible. Budget - 8-10K

Associated equipment:

Mcintosh MC452 power amp

Mcintosh C46 Preamp

Sony SACD player

Denafrips Ares DAC

SoTM SMS-200

REL T5

Thank you

4 minutes ago, mjs said:

Magneplanar MG3.7i ?

You have the amps and a sub

Thank you for your recommendation but i believe it's too much for my listening room :)

Forgot to mention - listening room is not big , only about 4m x 6m

Also, wouldn't want a sub if it is possible hence looking for a 3-way...

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Thanks mate...this is definitely an end-game speaker. I am surprised no one in VIC has taken this yet..with this price ....

But this will be too big for my space - will be suitable for someone with big listening area with high ceiling....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, andrei said:

Thanks mate...this is definitely an end-game speaker. I am surprised no one in VIC has taken this yet..with this price ....

But this will be too big for my space - will be suitable for someone with big listening area with high ceiling....

Maybe aesthetically but footprint is the same as any speaker and we had them setup in a smaller room than yours at 3.7x4.9 and it was amazing, was also on your MC452. Sure a bigger room brought more from them but I wouldn't turn them down due to room if in budget and to your liking.

Plenty of other fantastic used speakers here in your budget. You'll end up with something great.

Dynaudio_Room.jpg

Edited by Bunno77
pic
  • Like 3

found few choices:

Sonus Faber Sonetto V -  beautiful speaker - haven't heard any Sonus Faber speakers so i am not familiar with their sound signature

Dynaudio Contour 60 - i like my Contour S1.4 , maybe this is safe choice :)

Go audition a set of Q Acoustics Concept speakers.

Either the Concept 500 (floor standing) or the Concept 300 (Stand Mount) but absolutely delicious. 

Both are two-way but I think you will be presently surprised. Certainly worth checking them out if you have a local dealer...

1 hour ago, andrei said:

found few choices:

Sonus Faber Sonetto V -  beautiful speaker - haven't heard any Sonus Faber speakers so i am not familiar with their sound signature

Dynaudio Contour 60 - i like my Contour S1.4 , maybe this is safe choice :)

You shoukd wait for the revised Contour 60i.

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/contour-i/contour-60i

Refer to the tagged speaker audition list on this forum page.

What music do you listen to ?

Your 4x6m is big enough to take large floorstanders.

For $10k used choices would get you up to $30k rrp options, but if that is not preferred consider the likes of VAF I-66 or 93, Osborne speakers and similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al.M said:

For $10k used choices would get you up to $30k rrp options, but if that is not preferred consider the likes of VAF I-66 or 93, Osborne speakers and similar.

Hulgich Ella's are about that price as well for more Australian made.

Edited by Rakalel
  • Like 4

My own opinion, dynaudio and mcintosh may be too laid back. Try focal and Mcintosh? Sound quite nice to me. 

or keep dynaudio try a different amp. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rakalel said:

Hulgich Ella's are about that price as well for more Australian made.

Hulgich would be good also. The VAF speakers are using very expensive detailed sounding Seas Excel Range drivers like Excel magnesium cone $250 mids and near top of line $500 per unit tweeters vs the other model Hulgich speaker use Scanspeak HDS $170 tweeters. Ella model appears to be a $200 Satori tweeter. Both good but VAF pound for pound better on paper, greater component cost and lots of sound engineering design like time alignment of drivers and felt diffraction padding resulting in high imaging result etc.

Edited by Al.M

I recently had the opportunity to audition the latest model VAF i66 mkIII and I was shocked at how good they were. I had never been the biggest fan of the previous series, respect yes, but lust no.

After listening to them for about 45 minutes, on a variety of my music I was enchanted.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rantan said:

I recently had the opportunity to audition the latest model VAF i66 mkIII and I was shocked at how good they were. I had never been the biggest fan of the previous series, respect yes, but lust no.

After listening to them for about 45 minutes, on a variety of my music I was enchanted.

My impressions at an older model VAF I-66 some years ago in a larger room was not as favourable as my second go in a smaller room second time around  and I was shocked at how much better they are. VAF I66 model configuration is tried and proven has been around since 1998 with significant tweeter upgrade from $170 unit to $500 model and crossover upgrades. The bass isn’t bloated and would sub match.

Edited by Al.M

The Vienna Acoustics Liszt model speakers are beyond your budget but a friend of mine bought these as his endgame speaker on retirement.  I had a chance to hear them.  It has been a long time since I heard such expensive speakers but wow! The cabinetry work is such a delight they are a pleasure just to look at without any sound.

I don't know if the Liszt's represent the house signature sound of VA so perhaps something lower down in the price range?

We had listening session with the speakers, at for me, very loud volume and they didn't even break a sweat. Later in the day they were just playing in the background while we sat around the dinner table just chatting and even at low volumes they were just wonderful to listen to.

Thank you very much Gents, keep them coming...

while in the background - i am so busy researching each and every recommendation made here so far... good thing we are stuck at home every day of the week  :)  bad thing - i cannot audition :(

2 minutes ago, Rakalel said:

If you like the sound of the Dynaudio then Addicted to Audio have the Contour 60's on special for $8.5k down from $15k.

yes i was looking at that last week, it was $7499 then and yesterday it jumped by another $1k :(

They must have sense how many times i visited their site LOL :)

1 minute ago, andrei said:

They must have sense how many times i visited their site LOL

Reverse psychology them. Put it in your cart and then don't buy it, make them chase you again!

39 minutes ago, andrei said:

Thank you very much Gents, keep them coming...

while in the background - i am so busy researching each and every recommendation made here so far... good thing we are stuck at home every day of the week  :)  bad thing - i cannot audition :(

Choices you will lots of choices 

You're room at 6x 4m isn't what would call small.

having had dynaudio speakers in the past , I now have Revel f208 in a 4m deep x 5m(ish) wide with a 2.4m high ceiling and they work very well in what can be a difficult room to get right. I would imagine they work perfectly we'll in your room.

Guest deanB

I don't know how they would team up with the McIntosh, I've only listened to them with the ATC P1 amp, but give the ATC SCM40 some consideration. You definitely have the room and more than enough power.

They won't seduce you with their looks or brutally honest spec sheet but these speakers are capable of rejuvenating your music collection.

There are safer choices out there though and I wouldn't recommend buying ATC speakers without a demo.

These.

https://sydneyhifimonavale.com.au/collections/goldenear-technology/products/goldenear-triton-2-floor-standing-speakers

Narrow footprint makes them fit in small rooms too, but you'd be getting a massive sound with them, but you'd have to retire your sub as these will give you better bass than it.

Edited by Ittaku