Josh_85

Mackie MR624 Abnormal Buzzing

Wondering if anyone could help me with a buzzing sound (note not a hissing sound which one expects from studio monitors) coming from my Mackie MR624's.

So, as I stated I have a pair of MR624's plugged in via RCA to 3.5MM into the line out on my Fiio K3 which feeds into the USB on my PC. I have it plugged into a USB extension HUB. I thought maybe there's some kind of interference so I unplugged my keyboard from the same HUB and the buzzing halved yet is still persistent.

The noise is completely gone when I plug the speakers into my phone or tablet via 3.5MM. I have tried plugging the speakers into a different power source and it makes no difference. I have also used a different USB cord which also didn't make a difference

So, I'm assuming the DAC itself is noisy (though I've not had a problem with pops, cracks or buzzing before) or there's some kind of feedback coming from inside my PC? Could anyone else shed some light on what they might be the problem and what a fix would be? Cheers.

Sounds like a grounding interference issue, especially when you say the buzzing halved when removing your keyboard from the USB hub.

My first suspect would be the USB hub, if you remove it does the buzzing still happen ?

I gather this USB hub has a wall wart power supply, that could be the culprit, find another of the same voltage and see if the problem still happens.

Next to check would be the 3.5mm to RCA adapters from your speakers, check they are seated properly, especially the grounding pin in the center.

I'd also check to see if the RCA plug on your Fiio hasn't started to come lose from the chassis/circuit board.

You didn't say if you were running a Desktop or Laptop, but I'd check to see if everything is seated properly, like the RAM and Graphic card if any.

I'm sort of suffering the same problem with a brand new home recording setup that's is in the process of being setup for the first time, but I have a ton more gear than you all connected, so it's a real 'Where to start' situation for me.😳