Advice for new TV size and model

Hi there. I'm not a video person but want to replace my current fairly crappy 50" from Hisense. I sit about 290cm away from the screen. What size do you recommend, a 65 or a 75?

And any recommendations on the model with a budget just under 3k?

I watch pretty much just movies from Netflix Stan or Disney +. 

Many thanks. 

I sit about the same distance & I bought a 65" in 2018. Really like it but...........I still think maybe a 75" would be better still.

There is a website called Rtings which reviews most popular TV's. Also they have a TV Size to distance calculator.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

I remember when a 28 inch TV was big. 

yep we had one of them :D 

On 30/04/2020 at 4:14 PM, o2so said:

Hi there. I'm not a video person but want to replace my current fairly crappy 50" from Hisense. I sit about 290cm away from the screen. What size do you recommend, a 65 or a 75?

65 is the new 50 :)

go that over a 75 and instead go quality over quantity... ie the better telly....  keep in mind the bigger the telly the more apparent its flaws :D so doesnt make a lot of sense in going a bigger lesser quality telly as will just remind you should have gone for the better one... 

price of telly seem to go up significantly from 65" so get something there is my suggestion.... unlikely will find a pana, but sony or LG would be my suggestion 

eg the pana gz1000 GG has on clearance for $5 under your $3k budget... if they have one grab it....

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/panasonic-65-inches-gz1000u-4k-uhd-smart-oled-tv-th-65gz1000u

sit back enjoy...and know you have one very lovely telly ! 

• Like 2

Funnily enough I love the 4k HiSense models. I just wish they came with TV tuner and input selection only.  The apps which come on TV's are lucky to get more than a few updates so you're better off using either an Nvidia Shield (got to love AI upsampling) or an Apple TV for your streaming needs.

I find my 70" 4k HiSense fantastic in the main living room, and the same for the 55" 4k HiSense in the gym. The colours seem more natural than LG or Samsung,  only rivaled by some Panasonic screens.

The downstairs living room however has a Xiaomi Wemax One short throw projector for home theatre use with a 5.1 system which is great so long as the curtains are pulled. I use with a 100" screen. It's not 4k but does the job nicely.  You don't even notice once the movie is on.

Basically go into JB and see what looks best to you with movies playing. That's what decided it for me. It's the only true test. Sure, HiSense gets a bit of light bleed on a dark background but if used in a room where the lights are always on it won't be noticed. If used in a dark room, maybe a projector will do. It all depends on your room and use habits.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I ended up with the 2020 model of Samsung's "the frame", in 65". Not as good as an OLED but close enough. And it really looks like artwork when off. This is the fam media room so I'm happy. 

20200503_073348.jpg

Edited by o2so
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

I’d go with 75 inch. It only becomes smaller and smaller. I saw a few good ones in Costco last week, I think Sony for less than $2,000? Not sure about Disney+, cannot guarantee that but a Apple TV 4K will solve all these problems easily.