Possibility of a headphone amp and DAC combo from Gieseler

anandpkumar

Given the current situation with lots of us folks working from home, I am wondering if there is a market for a combined headphone amp and DAC in a single unit. Clay already makes a headphone amp and excellent DACs - so will there be a market for a mid-level HP amp+DAC combo retailing somewhere below the $1000 mark? Say the HP amp and Klien DAC in a single unit? I sure would be interested. What do others think?

Tagging Clay for his thoughts on this@Gieseler Audio

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Sounds like a great idea.

OK I will do some R&D on it.

Possible to have an analogue volume control (not using DAC chip digital volume control) with a relay-switched stepped attenuator ?

Avoids channel imbalance issues of analogue volume pots.

Edited by rand129678
added more info
  • Love 1

Yes definitely possible.

It will require a on-board microprocessor, code and some high-quality relays so that will add to the cost a bit.

Actually I’ve just realised in the Konverter DAC/pre I used the analog muse volume control chip which is very transparent and I have that code worked out already.

Anyway just another option.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Yes definitely possible.

It will require a on-board microprocessor, code and some high-quality relays so that will add to the cost a bit.

Actually I’ve just realised in the Konverter DAC/pre I used the analog muse volume control chip which is very transparent and I have that code worked out already.

Anyway just another option.

Digital volume control is very transparent for sure but not possible to use digital volume control with the 'DSD Direct' option of the AKM chips.

Using 'DSD Direct' mode with a nice analogue volume control (not pot though) would be a nice all-in-one headphone setup.

I might be the only person interested though, so it might not be worth all the R&D time and effort.

Edited by rand129678

And while we are in the realm of exploring possibilities - any thoughts on getting the DAC MQA enabled? No idea what this means in terms of additional cost - hardware/software. With so many of us using Tidal, the option to do MQA will definitely add value to the package

Edited by anandpkumar

19 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

And while we are in the realm of exploring possibilities - any thoughts on getting the DAC MQA enabled? 

I'm not sure if Clay is ready to drop his dacks, bend over and touch his toes.

It certainly ain't cheap!! ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So many features you'd take over MQA first though. 100% would prefer any money spent on getting MQA support, to be spent on making the amp stage wonderful.

Excellent volume pot.

Range of outputs, both headphones and line out. 6.5mm, XLR and (maybe) 4.4mm output.

Remote!

Super black background.

Built in USB treatment, or very least ground loop breaking.

And comes with a good external power supply.

The list, it grows!

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...