Analogue to Digital conversion ....

Now this is a very left of field question and this is more of 'I would like to test and see if it works in my situation' and I know there are many of you who will say don't bother etc etc however I like to tinker and play and see what happens.

Setup:

Samsung TV > Optical (toslink) > yamaha receiver > Speakers 5.1

Optional:

Sonos Sound Bar (gen 1) as centre channel

Reason:

to get more omph from the centre channel rather than the 30w centre speaker and clean up the area.

So what im looking for is a way to go from the analogue centre channel output of the receiver (2 wires) and then somehow convert it to a digital (toslink) signal so that the sonos sees it an plays whats coming from the receiver/amp, as you can see in the picture i currently have the 30W speaker sitting intop of the sonos so i want to eliminate it all together.

95097722_248089323243685_6935977939401965568_n.png

sonos_yam.jpg

Edited by Danthuyer1503564928
mistake

Just now, Bunno77 said:

There are quite a few devices that do it. Simple Google search

https://www.jaycar.com.au/analogue-to-digital-audio-converter/p/AC1716

i just stumbled across a few myself ... thanks 

I had one here however it was supposed to do A>D however is doesnt it only does D>A 
I might try and find a cheaper one and see > https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/analogue-to-digital-audio-decoder-converter

thanks for the input @Bunno77

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah something like that is perfect. 

Hope it works well and don't be afraid to ditch all the surround stuff and do 2 channel for music and TV :). Glad I did

That is always an option also .... its only a small room so its fun to have the surrounds right next to your head.

If i was going to go for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup ill just use the sonos for the TV output :)

1 hour ago, Danthuyer1503564928 said:

So what im looking for is a way to go from the analogue centre channel output of the receiver (2 wires)

Just checking, when you say '2 wires' you mean RCA cables right? You can't use the center speaker output for what you're trying.

You need to use pre-out RCA outputs to hookup to the AD converter you linked.

I see subwoofer RCA output but you can't use that for what you're trying here.

What is 'monitor out' for? You MIGHT be able to split that into L and R RCA cables but first need to understand what that output is before trying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

Just checking, when you say '2 wires' you mean RCA cables right? You can't use the center speaker output for what you're trying.

You need to use pre-out RCA outputs to hookup to the AD converter you linked.

I see subwoofer RCA output but you can't use that for what you're trying here.

What is 'monitor out' for? You MIGHT be able to split that into L and R RCA cables but first need to understand what that output is before trying.

incorrect 2 wires is 2 wires .... standard speaker wire ... +/- however i will simply terminate the wire into an RCA plug (which I have already done) and then connect it to the A>D converter i linked above

If you look at the diagram the Monitor out RCA you reference is in the Video outputs ... so i doubt that will work I assume that would be similar to an S-video signal

23 minutes ago, Danthuyer1503564928 said:

standard speaker wire ... +/- however i will simply terminate the wire into an RCA plug

Noted. As mentioned, I don't think connecting speaker outputs to RCA line-level inputs is a good idea though... Just trying to help...

Edited by rand129678
Added more info
  • Like 2

What’s the reason for using the centre speaker high-level output, when there is an RCA line-level output available?

I connected my subwoofer line-in to the speaker outputs of my amp out of necessity – no high-level subwoofer inputs, and no pre-out on the amp or DAC. After measuring the input impedance of the subwoofer inputs (just under 10k at 100Hz), I simply put 47k resistors in series. That gave me a safe and useful input level at the sub.

19 minutes ago, PleasantSounds said:

Rather than going D->A and then back A->D, why don't you use a Toslink splitter instead on the TV output?

I presume the Sonos has an optical input?

That’ll put all sound through the Sonos. 

Instead of separate L, R and Centre.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rand129678 said:

I don't think connecting speaker outputs to RCA line-level inputs is a good idea though.

Great that you are trying to learn something and having a go but would have to agree with above. If you check the datasheets for the A->D you will see that they are line level, typically max 2Vp-p. At full power 30W the centre spkr output will be about 15Vp-p, this may fry your A->D or result in a poor quality signal (48K? steps over 2V or 15V). Before buying a A->D check datasheets for max input signal.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how feasible what you are proposing is. If you do make it work, one problem you might encounter with doing multiple D/A and A/D conversions is introducing audible time delays with the centre channel. You might be able re-calibrate the Yamaha or Sonos to take that into account, perhaps.

6 hours ago, mbz said:

Great that you are trying to learn something and having a go but would have to agree with above. If you check the datasheets for the A->D you will see that they are line level, typically max 2Vp-p. At full power 30W the centre spkr output will be about 15Vp-p, this may fry your A->D or result in a poor quality signal (48K? steps over 2V or 15V). Before buying a A->D check datasheets for max input signal.

Thank you - that is a very valid explanation of what could happen on a technical level ! food for thought 

6 hours ago, emesbee said:

I'm not sure how feasible what you are proposing is. If you do make it work, one problem you might encounter with doing multiple D/A and A/D conversions is introducing audible time delays with the centre channel. You might be able re-calibrate the Yamaha or Sonos to take that into account, perhaps.

This is also a good point and im sure I have latency settings in there somewhere that I can play with 

On 01/05/2020 at 7:43 AM, emesbee said:

correct !

The converter just arrived and indeed in introduces an amount of delay which i cannot eliminate so there is a slight echo through the room, however it does work by simply connecting it to the mono input channel on the converter and the delay that you can add to the yamaha is for all channels and not separated into F/R/C

The only settings on the sonos are to extend the delay even further which is of no use with this setup

oh well it was fun trying - instead now i have the optical out of the PS4 going into the sonos and it activates from there when playing games and watching videos from there which is a bit of fun so technically i now have a 13.1 system when Im playing games ... hahaha

Edited by Danthuyer1503564928