What cartridge for a technics SL1200g?

I have had a few carts on my Technics SL1210 Mk5 and Mk5g turntables.

HOMC. 

Denon DL110.  Solid performer, excellent budget choice.

MC

Benz Ace.  Decent enough.

Benz Wood.  Good.  Large step up over Ace.

Charisma Audio Ref-1.  Prob out of budget but a decent step up over the Wood.

I am currently looking for another cart as well and unless something unexpected comes up I will go for a Hana.

• Like 2

I got to test out a few MC carts on SL1200G, all worked very nicely...Rebuilt Ortofon MC25e with FGS, Ortofon MC15 super, Dynavector 10x5.

Out of those, only the Dynavector readily available still for around the $1000 mark.

I would also look at an Ortofon Cadenza Red or Dynavector DV-20X2 as other options.

• Like 2

+1 for the Soundsmith... very nice carts! Not sure about the Grado - I always found them very finicky to setup and had issues with hum that no other cart presented....

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 11:26 PM, 81Vintage said:

+1 for the Soundsmith... very nice carts! Not sure about the Grado - I always found them very finicky to setup and had issues with hum that no other cart presented....

It was my understanding that grado cartridges couldnt be used with rega t/t due to the way rega's were grounded ??

I dont think its a ground issue on Rega thats the problem - its the 120v primotec ac motors causing interference with the unshielded/poorly shielded grado carts.

I dont think that same issue applies to the rega 24v motor though - but cant confirm as I havent personally tested it.

But isnt this thread regarding the SL1200G??? Wondering how the rega came into play?