Reccomendations on a high output moving coil cartridge

Hi all , 

im interested in what people would reccomend in a high output moving coil. Cartridge.  Let's say price around $1500. And sticking to HOMC. 

Ive owned a Dynavector 10x5 before and enjoyed much more than ortofon 2m black I also tried at the time. 

HOMC that come come mind are the  Dynavector 20x10 and one of the Hansa cartridges.  

Also a question  about cartridge inputs , a LOMC output seems to be around 0.03 - 0.05 MV  and HOMC seem to be about 2.5-2.8 MV. Is there such a beast as a medium output moving coil? 

Cheers dave 

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

Hi all , 

im interested in what people would reccomend in a high output moving coil. Cartridge.  Let's say price around $1500. And sticking to HOMC. 

Ive owned a Dynavector 10x5 before and enjoyed much more than ortofon 2m black I also tried at the time. 

HOMC that come come mind are the  Dynavector 20x10 and one of the Hansa cartridges.  

Also a question  about cartridge inputs , a LOMC output seems to be around 0.03 - 0.05 MV  and HOMC seem to be about 2.5-2.8 MV. Is there such a beast as a medium output moving coil? 

Cheers dave 

Benz do medium output Dave, Glider SM should fit your budget

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

Hi all , 

I'm interested in what people would recommend in a high output moving coil. Cartridge.  Let's say price around $1500. And sticking to HOMC. 

Why do you want a HO MC, Dave?

IOW - why do you think a HO MC will give you better sound than a standard HO MM/MI?  I think @MattyWwould suggest otherwise!  :)

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

Cheers dave

Not quite  :) :

• LOMCs are, typically, 0.3 mV to 0.5 mV ... but they also come in higher or lower outputs (sometimes as low as 0.1 mV - which are problematic for many MC phono stages).
  • HOMCs seem to range from 1.5mV to 2.5mV.   Both of which will cause a problem to a standard 40dB MM phono stage - but would work if your MM phono stage has, say, 46dB gain (rather than 40dB).
  • I'm not sure if there are any MCs in the middle.

Andy

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, andyr said:

Dangerous ... thinking out loud!  :lol:  There's always some pr*ck who will come along and beat you down.

Andy

I might even follow it up with another question ?

My experience has been that a quality MM/MI will better any high output moving coil.... Low output moving coils on the other hand are a different story. Then there are low output moving iron and moving magnet carts which have less moving mass than MC and so are theoretically better again. I'm yet to confirm that though