Hello from a Brisbane music lover.

2 hours ago, James Darwin said:

've join this forum to get advice on what to buy as my new system

50 minutes ago, arcadiarhod said:

Same reason I'm here.

Welcome to both of you from below your closed border.

James, start a thread about wanting ideas and suggestions for your new system. You'll need to spell out how much your prepared to pay and how many parts of your old system you'd like to keep(if any) or just flog them off and start anew. 

What size is your house /unit/room you'll have it in, what music you playing, is it analogue or all digital, streaming options, family and dogs and cats...all these things come into the equation eventually so just lay it out there and the wiser heads and the stupider heads amongst us will heap advice on you and from that  you'll get some really good ideas.

Have a great time learning all this.

*I'm one of the stupider ones btw...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luc said:

James, start a thread about wanting ideas and suggestions for your new system. You'll need to spell out how much your prepared to pay and how many parts of your old system you'd like to keep(if any) or just flog them off and start anew. 

What size is your house /unit/room you'll have it in, what music you playing, is it analogue or all digital, streaming options, family and dogs and cats...all these things come into the equation eventually so just lay it out there and the wiser heads and the stupider heads amongst us will heap advice on you and from that  you'll get some really good ideas.

Thank you.

14 hours ago, Luc said:

Thanks for the advice Luc, will do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2020 at 8:29 PM, Ashtray83 said:

So James what is your current system.  And what format do u listen to the most. Cd, record tape etc

Hi! Ash, I mostly stream from Spotify and more recently Tidal. I have about 800 CD download in lossless (I think its mostly wav), which i also play time from time. 

I currently have/had (I've already sold a couple of components):

Dynaudio (Contour 1.8 Mk II)

Rotel pre-amp

Rotel Power amp (200w)

Arcam rDAC

Apple AirPort Express (2nd Gen)

I have agree with my wife to "downsize", since the system is way to big for our lounge room - particularly the Dynaudios. I'm looking for bookshelf speaker to put on a console table we have, and a system generally more detail. 

I have auditioned the KEF LS50W (along with B&Ws, and a couple of others) which we liked, but then we compared them to LS50 (wired) with an Aram S20 (I can't remember what the source was, but it was streamed from TIDAL). My wife and both found the wired LS50 with that amp much smoother and less harsh through the mids. Allround a more satisfying listen. 

I'm hoping to audition the wired LS50s with a couple of other amplifiers... so any suggestions welcome. Alternative bookshelves options also welcome.

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, James Darwin said:

I'm hoping to audition the wired LS50s with a couple of other amplifiers... so any suggestions welcome.

Hi James,

I partner my LS50s with a NAD D3020 (there is now a NAD D302 V2 available, cost around $700) and it is a fantastic combination.  I was influenced to try this combination by great reviews in Stereophile and Australian HiFi.  Always best to audition if you can and consider whether the inputs work for you. 

Good luck and enjoy.

12 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Hi James,

I partner my LS50s with a NAD D3020 (there is now a NAD D302 V2 available, cost around $700) and it is a fantastic combination.  I was influenced to try this combination by great reviews in Stereophile and Australian HiFi.  Always best to audition if you can and consider whether the inputs work for you. 

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the tip Kevin, I'll have a listen.

BTW - what source do you use?

Hi James,

For the NAD and KEFs I use the following sources into the NAD:

1. HP computer via USB to the NAD (so uses the DAC in the NAD) and the computer is running Roon (fed by a Roon Nucleus, which gives me access to Tidal and my FLAC ripped CDs and purchased download files) and Spotify (this is what I usually use);

2. Sonos Connect (this is under the desk) via coaxial cable to the NAD (so uses the DAC in the NAD) and the Sonos can receive and supply music from the Roon Nucleus and Spotify;

3. Schiit Jotunheim Balanced Headphone Amplifier (with pre-outs and optional USB input) via RCA cables (so uses the DAC in the Jot) and the Jot is supplied with music from the Roon Nucleus and Spotify by USB cable from the computer (I rarely use this, the Jot is there as a headphone amp for my Audeze LCD-3s).

No TT though that is possible if the TT was paired with a phono stage (though I believe the NAD D3020 V2 has an inbuilt phono-stage which my earlier model does not have) and no CD player though this is also possible.

Cheers

941B32BA-5372-420A-B479-FBB931154DA6.jpeg

911EDE81-9342-483A-A353-1941DDBCA76A.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin

16 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Hi James,

For the NAD and KEFs I use the following sources into the NAD:

1. HP computer via USB to the NAD (so uses the DAC in the NAD) and the computer is running Roon (fed by a Roon Nucleus, which gives me access to Tidal and my FLAC ripped CDs and purchased download files) and Spotify (this is what I usually use);

2. Sonos Connect (this is under the desk) via coaxial cable to the NAD (so uses the DAC in the NAD) and the Sonos can receive and supply music from the Roon Nucleus and Spotify;

3. Schiit Jotunheim Balanced Headphone Amplifier (with pre-outs and optional USB input) via RCA cables (so uses the DAC in the Jot) and the Jot is supplied with music from the Roon Nucleus and Spotify by USB cable from the computer (I rarely use this, the Jot is there as a headphone amp for my Audeze LCD-3s).

No TT though that is possible if the TT was paired with a phono stage (though I believe the NAD D3020 V2 has an inbuilt phono-stage which my earlier model does not have) and no CD player though this is also possible.

Cheers

941B32BA-5372-420A-B479-FBB931154DA6.jpeg

911EDE81-9342-483A-A353-1941DDBCA76A.jpeg

Wow. Nice setup!

Hi James, seeing that you have Dynaudios, have you tried/thought about their Special40's ?  Wonderful open detailed accurate sound and good bass , esp for a bookshelf.  You have some solid Amps there in Rotel btw.