Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX shipping / alternatives

Hi all!

Long story short I am looking to upgrade my speakers for next 5 - 10 yrs and have pretty much decided to order some Ascend Sierra 2EX bookshelf speakers. These speakers seem to tick every box for me regarding size, sound signature (warm but clear and fast), quality of design / components, objective measurements, looks, value for money, positive reviews. I was only intending to spend up to 2K but I feel they will be an investment I am very happy with.

Mainly I am wondering if anyone has ordered from Ascend and what the ballpark shipping costs were to AUS? Also how do you like your speakers, what gear have you paired?

Also out of interest — and maybe this a bit vague so please ignore if so — is there anything similar that pops to mind by a local maker?

The Serhan+Swift Brigadier BA-2 seem similarly specced but maybe 3 to 5 times the price so way out my range. Would love to get some Legend Kurres (I've heard Joey's before and loved the sound) but unfortunately I just honestly don't love the look, my tastes tend a bit more minimal or modern. In terms of price range and components that leaves Ascension's Monitor range which end up quite a bit cheaper, but unfortunately outside of cost if I am going to buy unheard the Ascends edge them for my tastes.

Edited by mmi
formatting

33 minutes ago, mmi said:

Hi all!

Long story short I am looking to upgrade my speakers for next 5 - 10 yrs and have pretty much decided to order some Ascend Sierra 2EX bookshelf speakers. These speakers seem to tick every box for me regarding size, sound signature (warm but clear and fast), quality of design / components, objective measurements, looks, value for money, positive reviews. I was only intending to spend up to 2K but I feel they will be an investment I am very happy with.

Welcome Michael!

Unfortunately there's no chance that you can land the Sierra 2EX for less than $AUD2,000.

They appear to range from $USD1648 to $1748 which is at least $AUD2,550 plus shipping ( I was quoted $USD200 back in 2012 to ship a pair of Ascends to metropolitan Sydney... I assume it would cost more now). Add import duties/GST to this and you will be well above $AUD3,000.

I would suggest Lenehan Audio as another local speaker manufacturer worth pursuing, but they are also above your price range.

Edited by pete_mac

Hi Pete.

Yeah, I had upped the budget quite a bit to accomodate what I thought would be a good long-term investment and if absolutely necessary resalability due to their seeming scarcity here. 

Around AUD 350 shipping was my guess, so seems about right.  Completely forgot GST and duties tho  ?‍♂️ . Thanks for reminding me!

Funnily enough, since I am wanting it all – killer sound, good looks, value for money – I have been searching for your Elite Aesthet speakers based upon ghosting your posts previously. They don't even seem to be on Ali Express, only pair I can find are on eBay for USD 1K.

Would you happen to know of any more are floating around locally or of a legit source for purchase? They seem like the kind of product where the brand name might even be different a few years down the track. Having said that there are a few of the bigger Elite models on AliExpress at the moment.

17 minutes ago, mmi said:

Hi Pete.

Yeah, I had upped the budget quite a bit to accomodate what I thought would be a good long-term investment and if absolutely necessary resalability due to their seeming scarcity here. 

Around AUD 350 shipping was my guess, so seems about right.  Completely forgot GST and duties tho  ?‍♂️ . Thanks for reminding me!

Funnily enough, since I am wanting it all – killer sound, good looks, value for money – I have been searching for your Elite Aesthet speakers based upon ghosting your posts previously. They don't even seem to be on Ali Express, only pair I can find are on eBay for USD 1K.

Would you happen to know of any more are floating around locally or of a legit source for purchase? They seem like the kind of product where the brand name might even be different a few years down the track. Having said that there are a few of the bigger Elite models on AliExpress at the moment.

No worries! 

I'm still extremely happy with my Aesthet 1 mk II - they are a fantastic speaker.

There are no local suppliers and I haven't seen another pair for sale locally. The parent company still exists as far as I know:

http://www.hifi-elite.com/

http://www.hifi-elite.com/onlyforbea.htm

Unfortunately I can't vouch for any of the overseas suppliers - I don't have first-hand experience with them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

The parent company still exists as far as I know:

http://www.hifi-elite.com/

http://www.hifi-elite.com/onlyforbea.htm

Perfect hadn't found those links yet.

Was hoping an expensive snap decision would save me time digging this giant research hole.

Now not so sure... gonna give the Aussies a chance and contact ascension also.

If anyone else has bought in some Ascend's would love to hear more, there are a few threads that seem to have tapered off without feedback.

Hey @5L15 cheers for that. I mentioned the Kurre's in my initial post actually. I have auditioned very few speakers in my life but the Legend Joey's are one of them and the sound was amazing for the size and right up my alley. Besides my next point the Kurre's are pretty much what I had settled on. The only issue unfortunately is the look... nothing at all against them they are beautifully made and super solid but overall the style just isn't my thing. Perhaps in black but the Kurre's only seem to come in Jarrah.