STAX Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

On 16/05/2019 at 7:18 AM, John Buchanan said:

Still got it, but sold the Stax Sigma Pro. I just wanted to share stuff about it, as it's such an unusual piece (as is the Sigma).

Just curious why did you sell your Sigma, found something better like speakers?

On 06/08/2019 at 2:02 PM, Mach3 said:

Just curious why did you sell your Sigma, found something better like speakers?

Too many headphones and I have a stax SRM Monitor which matches the Lambda series earspeaker I have. The Sigma Pro and Sigma/404 were wonderful phones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

have the SR009S with a KGSS(Headamp) and a KGST(Soren Brix) and can't make up my mind which to keep.

The KGSS is very musical and engaging and the KGST has a better grip on things but overall sounds 'dry' but is technically superior.

Would the KGSShv be a noticeable improvement? Not interested getting into tubes e.g. BHSE.

I have a Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon and it is absolutely awesome with SR-007A and SR-009 (especially with a little DSP tweaking in Roon to improve the SR-009 bass).  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to compare with a KGSS or KGST.

• 3 weeks later...

My gears are STAX SR-L300 Limited Edition, little Kingsound M03 portable amp, SRM 353x, Mini KGSSHV made by JR Audio from China, many of you may not know but his amps are great, the build, sound, price are all great, I am in Sydney if anyone would like to try or compare with KGSSHV from other builders we can meet up, maybe??

814B955B-F6D6-4C51-9DDC-E9BB8B308A4E.jpeg

2B301A29-461F-45C3-B783-7C4949F75697.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought the entry Stax SRS-3100 which is a combination of SR-L300 headphone and the SRM-252S energiser lately.

My source is an Intel NUC running ROCK (Roon on Linux). It feeds the Stax via a tiny iFi nano iDSD DAC. 

Do you think the iFi is doing justice to the Stax? My impression of the Stax so far is mediocre. Nothing outstanding and wonder it is the DAC.

Your opinions welcome.

Cheers

Michael 

22 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Maybe try some other headphones,  there are some dynamic stuff that really shine.   Go and audition some while taking you stax combo with you compare....  Headphones are a very personal thing, you either love it or hate,  it’ll either agree with you or it won’t.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Given that I have bought the Stax, my hunt is on a matching DAD.

BTW: Audiophilestyle has a review of the Stax SRM-700T energizer, details here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-stax-audio-srm-700t-amplifier-energizer-for-electrostatic-headphones-r901/ 

• 1 month later...

@mtan002

would be on the hunt for an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac. Fond memories of the dac and wonderful pairing with stax, in my case it was srm717 energizer and sr-404 ear speakers. 
I would also audition a Chord electronics dac perhaps a HD or Qute version which can be had now for very reasonable coin secondhand 

Neo

Edited by Neo

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of time for headphone listening while in lockdown over the last few months and the better half working from home.

I have a collection of headphones nothing too expensive including:

Audio-Technica: MX40's, Air700's & Air900x's

Sennheiser: HD280 Pro's and PXC550's

BrainWavz : HM5's

AKG: K242 HD's

AudioFly: A140's

Sony: MD7506's

I like them all, each on their own are very good, especially the AKG's and the Audiofly's and for noise attenuation the Sennheiser HD280's are incredible and it's good to have some one handy nearby in case you have trouble freeing your head from their grip. 

But in comparison to my 40 year old Stax Lambda with SRD-7b all of the other's special positive characteristics are highlighted but their overall performance lack.

I've spent hours with the Stax and you can start to take them for granted, but I keep going back and that first moment of astonishment as to what they do never gets old.

I consider the AKG K242HD's pretty special for not a lot of dollars as do I the Audiofly IEM's that I picked up recently for a very low price when I read a recommendation from a fellow SNA'er (I can't remember who but he has my eternal thanks).

The Stax have never blown me away, and I think that is their magic, 40 years on from analogue to digital they are consistently excellent. The Roger Federer of headphones.

• 3 months later...

I have a minty 001mk2 coming in a few days, might post a review if i get the time.
I've owned 404LE, 207, SR5 Gold in the past running off a SRD/poweramp combo so I'm interested to see how well this stacks up.

It came with the original, optional power adapter so battery quality won't be an issue.

Initial impressions, incredible detail as expected of a vintage stax but stage is a tad narrow compared to SR-207. Far wider than any IEM I've heard though. This thing has punchy bass that extends fairly deep. Punchier than HiFiMan Arya but not as extended. The sound dramatically improves when using the wall wart instead of regular AA batteries. Comfort is said to be poor and the inexpensive CES A1 kit is designed to address this as well as make these closed back. Fortunately, I have been using this for a near continual 8hrs without the CES a1 and have had no issues.

Overall this gives you everything you would expect from an electrostatic but with killer bass.

20201130_103434.jpg

20201130_103929.jpg

20201130_103225.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I would like some advice about whether I'm on the right track with a plan.  I've had a Stax SR3 and SRD5SB combination for a long time.  In good condition and a pleasure to listen with.  I recently found a Stax SR207.  Looks to be in good condition.  Should I be looking for a driver unit that will enable me to connect both sets of earspeakers, or should I just find one to suit the SR207?

The 207 is a "pro" headphones instead of a "normal" SR3. All newer Stax headphones use a higher bias voltage. You can still use the old energizer, but might t need to turn it up to get sufficient volume. My understanding is not current is needed and in the longer run might actually damage the headphones. You are probably better off buying a low end or second hand energizer with pro output.

• 2 months later...

After years of hunting around, I finally found what I was looking for, the Stax SR-X Mk3 Professional. This model was released only in Japan in 1985 to mark Stax’s 25th anniversary of manufacturing ‘Earspeakers’. Built as a monitor and costing ¥27,000 at the time, it essentially mated an ultra-thin 1.5 micron membrane from the Gamma Pro inside the regular SR-X Mk3 housing. I’ve always liked the latter for its clean, natural midrange but wanted to know what the Pro edition was like. Well having now procured one, I’ve discovered that it is an altogether different proposition, exhibiting none of the SR-X Mk3’s notoriously shy bass or peaky treble. Rather, it sounds authoritatively composed and linear across the full spectrum. Detail comes across with lifelike realism. In Jon Anderson & Vangelis’ ‘Friends of Mr Cairo’ (remastered) I am hearing unprecedented layers, and in Boz Scaggs’ ‘Thanks To You’ the bass goes down scary low. I’ve not had an opportunity to do any comparisons with SR-007 or SR-009, and frankly few have because of this headphone’s scarcity, but that would be interesting. 

Its supra-aural design is hardly where interest lies these days, and Stax quickly went circumaural after this model, but in its time SR-X Mk3 Pro was top of the tree, and today it still carries a hefty reputation in sonic terms. Antonio Scozzaro described its performance glowingly in his 2012 soundbsessive review, and Sorrodje published a series of response charts in superbestaudiofriends in 2016 based on a fine rare specimen loaned to him by Ali-Pacha. Several other examples have appeared on Head-fi over the years, but these were mainly made up from parts by Spritzer and therefore not original. 

SR-X Mk 3 Pro is really hard to come by, and there’s limited literature. I purchased this original one after ten years of searching from a well-known collector in Poland. Thankfully there are no channel imbalance or buzzing issues etc. that can plague vintage stats, but it does take an hour to fully charge the stators. I have it paired with the SRM-717, which the seller recommended is one of the best drivers for them. 

P6080003.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Stax X9000 – early impressions:

Please refer to the chain in my signature.

Solidly built and functionally excellent. Very light on the head, low clamp and no seal required. 

Tonal Balance – X9K achieves a wonderful balance between bass, mids and treble elements, vocals are immersive, rich and intimate.
Detail/Resolution – As detailed and resolving as any HP I’ve heard.
Separation and sense of space – Top notch, so much” air and space”, an almost ethereal sound which sometimes feels a little “floaty”. A few test tracks I use and know very well, almost sounded a bit disjointed due to the level of separation and pinpoint imaging.
Contrast/Punch – Brilliant; layering, transients and decay are first class.
Timbre – Takes the crown from Susvara

These are early impressions without the quoted 200 hrs of significant burn in. When people talk about electrostats and particularly Stax, there’s mention of transparency, spaciousness and an almost “ethereal” like quality. I’ve only had a few hours with a 009s on a Mjolnir Carbon and I’d agree with a lot of that. The X9K is spacious in a way of describing an almost holographic soundstage. They’re highly transparent and resolving with just exceptional clarity. Timbre is wonderful, engaging, real and quite warm for a stat. Bass is super accurate, with a nice sense of depth and quantity. Not as deep as CRBN but still fast and punchy. The midrange is the winner, immersive and emotional. Treble is the best I’ve heard on a HP full stop. Lightning fast without any hint of shoutiness or sibilance. Clear as a midnight sky in Antarctica.

One other thing of note. The X9K are super power hungry. BHSE and Makua via XLR at 3pm. Maybe I’m listening too loud!

Comparisons:
Vs CRBN – Unfortunately, these aren’t with me right now. Audio memory (bad I know) tells me the CRBN are much warmer and tonally dense than X9K. More of that Audeze house darkness and more bass quantity but not necessarily quality. More info later when they’re returned to me. Will be interesting to compare mids and vocals which I thought were a strong point for CRBN.

Vs Susvara – More like the Susvara than not. Wonderful tone and timbre, beautiful mids. More resolving and seriously clearer and faster. Susvara win on bass response.

Vs Raal – Another tight contest. The Raals demonstrate a wider soundstage, similar tonality but the mids aren’t as liquid. Not as fast as the X9K and the Raal treble edges towards sibilance and less accuracy than the X9K. Some jazz tracks sound better on Raal dues to that soundstage and awesome imaging. However, bring in any trumpet, sax or vocals and the intimate, emotional mids win out. Piano on X9K sounds more “real” than any other HP I’ve tried. The Raal was best…..

So, early thoughts but I’m sure you can tell I like them….. a lot. Can they be the “only have one HP”?.....No, not really. They’re very impressive but the Susvaras beat them at rock and tracks with deep bass lines (although CRBN might win out) and the Raals bring such an awesome soundstage that for wider orchestral works, they sound better. 

X9K and CRBN vs Susvara and Raal. Hmmmmm……watch this space

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

How's the bass impact?

It’s good. Taut, accurate, punchy, fast attack and nice decay. There’s plenty of depth. It’s not as deep and impactful as CRBN and leaner than say Susvara. Fits the total sound very well for jazz, vocals etc.

5 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

It’s good. Taut, accurate, punchy, fast attack and nice decay. There’s plenty of depth. It’s not as deep and impactful as CRBN and leaner than say Susvara. Fits the total sound very well for jazz, vocals etc.

The most satisfying thing in Jazz is a big phat pluck of the double bass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1