Sign in to follow this  
mtan002

STAX Headphones Owners Thread

I bought the entry Stax SRS-3100 which is a combination of SR-L300 headphone and the SRM-252S energiser lately.

My source is an Intel NUC running ROCK (Roon on Linux). It feeds the Stax via a tiny iFi nano iDSD DAC. 

Do you think the iFi is doing justice to the Stax? My impression of the Stax so far is mediocre. Nothing outstanding and wonder it is the DAC.

Your opinions welcome.

Cheers

Michael 

Maybe try some other headphones,  there are some dynamic stuff that really shine.   Go and audition some while taking you stax combo with you compare....  Headphones are a very personal thing, you either love it or hate,  it’ll either agree with you or it won’t.

22 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Maybe try some other headphones,  there are some dynamic stuff that really shine.   Go and audition some while taking you stax combo with you compare....  Headphones are a very personal thing, you either love it or hate,  it’ll either agree with you or it won’t.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Given that I have bought the Stax, my hunt is on a matching DAD.

BTW: Audiophilestyle has a review of the Stax SRM-700T energizer, details here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-stax-audio-srm-700t-amplifier-energizer-for-electrostatic-headphones-r901/ 

Posted (edited)

@mtan002

would be on the hunt for an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 dac. Fond memories of the dac and wonderful pairing with stax, in my case it was srm717 energizer and sr-404 ear speakers. 
I would also audition a Chord electronics dac perhaps a HD or Qute version which can be had now for very reasonable coin secondhand 

Neo

Edited by Neo

Good luck with your hunt.

I'm pretty happy with the Topping D90, until the next itch....

I've had a lot of time for headphone listening while in lockdown over the last few months and the better half working from home.

I have a collection of headphones nothing too expensive including:

Audio-Technica: MX40's, Air700's & Air900x's

Sennheiser: HD280 Pro's and PXC550's

BrainWavz : HM5's

AKG: K242 HD's

AudioFly: A140's

Sony: MD7506's

I like them all, each on their own are very good, especially the AKG's and the Audiofly's and for noise attenuation the Sennheiser HD280's are incredible and it's good to have some one handy nearby in case you have trouble freeing your head from their grip. 

But in comparison to my 40 year old Stax Lambda with SRD-7b all of the other's special positive characteristics are highlighted but their overall performance lack.

I've spent hours with the Stax and you can start to take them for granted, but I keep going back and that first moment of astonishment as to what they do never gets old.

I consider the AKG K242HD's pretty special for not a lot of dollars as do I the Audiofly IEM's that I picked up recently for a very low price when I read a recommendation from a fellow SNA'er (I can't remember who but he has my eternal thanks).

The Stax have never blown me away, and I think that is their magic, 40 years on from analogue to digital they are consistently excellent. The Roger Federer of headphones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)