Spendor Owners & Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Yardbird said:

@Stereolove ? on those D9.2. Must be amazing. I heard a set of Classic 1/2?? at the hifi show last year in Melbourne and they were simply amazing. 

The ones I mention are old models. I think the SP1's are mid 80's and the S8 are early 90's. Not sure. Was just hoping someone in this tread might have experiences with them. Guess it's all about synergies anyway.

What are you running the D9.2 with?

Marantz PM14S1. Technics 1200 G. Van Den Hul Frog Gold. 

On 18/09/2020 at 4:03 PM, Jhsg said:

Hi everyone 

I’m the proud new owner of a set of d9.2’s. Just upgraded from my old pmc Twenty5.23’s. Been listening for an hour or so and really loving them. They have the pmc muscle but a lot more refinement. 

Powering them with a bhk250. 

It will be interesting to see how they change over the first 50-100 hours. 

Cheers

John 

58D525E8-85D1-4E06-A16D-E429F515D0E1.jpeg

They get better at 100 and then come into their own about 150. I think about 200 the bass really begins to take off! ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, astormsau said:

They get better at 100 and then come into their own about 150. I think about 200 the bass really begins to take off! ?

Thanks mate. They’re a little all over the place at the moment (about 20hrs in). 

How did you go with placement? Any lessons learnt with distance from the back wall and toeing in angle? 

Edited by Jhsg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jhsg said:

Thanks mate. They’re a little all over the place at the moment (about 20hrs in). 

How did you go with placement? Any lessons learnt with distance from the back wall and toeing in angle? 

I just measure the distance of each speaker from the back wall. So mine are 18 and 22cm from the top rear of the cabinet to the back wall. We are in quite a small room with only about 3m between the rear wall and the back of the couch (which is still an open area behind the couch but can't move it further backward). I had them at 16 and 22 which was a little too 'toed in', 18 and 22 gives a better sound stage for me :) I would love to bring mine out a bit further into the room but then we get into a null point with the bass.

I am yet to put them up on their spikes but expect it will make a bit of a difference getting them off the carpet, i just wanted to wait to find the best position which i think now at 280 hours they should be close to 'run in enough'. I found going from Van Den Hull d352 speaker cables to Kimber 12TC also made a noticeable difference to low end response. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, astormsau said:

I just measure the distance of each speaker from the back wall. So mine are 18 and 22cm from the top rear of the cabinet to the back wall. We are in quite a small room with only about 3m between the rear wall and the back of the couch (which is still an open area behind the couch but can't move it further backward). I had them at 16 and 22 which was a little too 'toed in', 18 and 22 gives a better sound stage for me :) I would love to bring mine out a bit further into the room but then we get into a null point with the bass.

I am yet to put them up on their spikes but expect it will make a bit of a difference getting them off the carpet, i just wanted to wait to find the best position which i think now at 280 hours they should be close to 'run in enough'. I found going from Van Den Hull d352 speaker cables to Kimber 12TC also made a noticeable difference to low end response. 

thanks @astormsau

That is a good way of measuring distance.

I have my speakers much closer at the moment - i think they closest edge is about 10cm out. I will need to have another play and see if they improve if I bring them out a little more and play around with angles. 

Cheers, 

John  

Played around with placement tonight. Found they sound the best about 15cm out. The main thing that changes when I move the speakers is the quality of the sound stage. 15cm seems to be about right for me. 

Edited by Jhsg

2 hours ago, astormsau said:

Did you find any difference in the bass response? 

Mainly the staging improved. Didn’t hear much difference in bass reponse but I’ve only tested at low volume so will need to do some proper testing when I can crank the volume a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, astormsau said:

How are they coming along now? I’m just on 400 hours. 

hi @astormsau

They are going great.  i have put about 200hrs through them now.. I think most of the improvement occurred within the first 100hrs. 

My challenge now is setting the crossover on my sub. Has anyone got any experience to share with this? 

Cheers, 

John 

• 1 year later...
On 25/6/2020 at 11:29 AM, Bill125812 said:

I’ve listened to the D7’s and thought they were great.  I ended up buying the D9’s.  Had to spend a lot more on them to beat the D7’s.  But be prepared to have a long burn in time.  The  D9’s took Close to 4 months to really shine.  

Spendor are a great speaker.  I think you won’t regret buying the D7’s  

I bought that the D9.2 & agree that they need plenty of Run in time to show you what they can do, especially in the Bass, my Power Amp is 250;watts into 8ohm, they love power, I find them to be awesome Speakers.

13 hours ago, 123bodge said:

I bought that the D9.2 & agree that they need plenty of Run in time to show you what they can do, especially in the Bass, my Power Amp is 250;watts into 8ohm, they love power, I find them to be awesome Speakers.

I ended up getting a good deal on a set of D9.2 about a year ago and sold my D7.2 to a very happy friend. 

I am really happy with the D9.2 and I think they need 300-400 hours to really get the low end right. Fantastic upgrade from the 7.2 in terms of midrange performance, low end reinforcement and staging (and the 7.2 are pretty good to begin with. 

I found another step up changing from 90w of tube amplification to 450w of solid state in terms of low end grip. 

drew 

• Like 1

I recently picked up a set of D7s on the forum, and I'm really enjoying them. I've been running them with a Line Magnetic 518ia, which is a 22wpc class A SET. I've been loving the combination, but I was curious to know how they would sound with more power, so @andyr generously brought over his 100w AKSA class AB monoblocs earlier in the week so we could compare them.

Andy can share his own impressions if he likes, but I thought it was a really interesting comparison. The monoblocks definitely brought out more low-level detail. This was particularly clear in highly complex tracks like Hireklon by Ricardo Villalobos (an electronic track) or Bop by Brandt Brauer Frick (which uses analog instruments in a way reminiscent of EDM). The AKSA brought out layers to these tracks in a way that was really satisfying, and it rendered the texture of the instruments more crisply than the tube amp.

I thought the Line Magnetic held up pretty well, however. Andy and I had wondered whether it was powerful enough to drive the D7s satisfactorily, but it seemed to bring out comparable levels of bass (for instance), simply with a different emphasis. The tube amp struck me as a bit more rounded - not in an exaggerated way, and still with plenty of detail. It just rendered everything with a slight glow, I guess.

I'm not sure I'm finding the right words, but I'd be curious to know whether anyone has had a similar experience with the Spendor speakers! Thanks again, in any case, to @andyr for a really interesting comparison.

Yes, David ( @gollux ) - I found it a really interesting comparison.  :thumb:

Contrary to my previous thoughts ... at the dB level that David listens at - the LM518ia has no problems driving the Spendors well.  IOW ... there were no obvious "issues".  (So the Spendor D7s are not a particularly hard load to drive.)

But the AKSA Soraya Class AB monoblocs (ss: 100/180w into 8/4 ohms) simply allowed the D7s to deliver more - better control of the bass ... plus better resolution of transients.  This was particularly evident with  the tracks that David mentioned.  (Note: @Ittaku ... David is another BBF fan!  :) )

The only problem during the session was that the potential "best" sound - using David's ampsandsound Kenzie Encore as a tube preamp feeding the ss AKSAs was compromised by: a. a slight physical humming from the Kenzie's power transformer and b. some humming through the spkrs.  However, his (ss) Auralic headphone amp used as a preamp ... sounded excellent!  :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 2