W.A.R. Audio Focal Reference 1 loudspeakers

Price: $12500
Item Condition: New - As new
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Perth
State: Western Australia
Payment Method: Paypal, cash, EFT
Reason for selling: Other speakers.

These were now a fully optioned up replica of a set of what I call a Focal Maestro Evos or close to at 10 percent of the cost approx. $130000 depending on where you look and buy. 

A sonic bargain if there ever was one and Pats other speakers sell or are valued from this upto his last pair at 100k with a 30000 dollar ribbon , this was his penultimate pair made and delivered in Dec 2019. Until he built his last dream speaker which cost or are worth $100k with a 30000 dollar foot high ribbon tweeter.

Built to order by Pat O' Brien managing director and head of audio design and speaker crossover designer and builder.

Enormously well regarded in the Perth Market for speaker building, system builds and high and Japanese components from Bakoon and Nanotech etc which these amps were demoed with in store.http://www.waraudio.com.au

WAR Audio Focal Reference 1 with Point source ribbon tweeters, designed and built by legendary Perth based speaker designer and WAR Audio owner. Each speaker contains a full set of Focal utopia drivers and we changed the tweeter over to a ribbon to gain the magical final touches. 

The cabling all nanotech best cables inside and out and on the crossover. The crossover tune tuned by Pat to within an inch of its life so to speak with an incredibly flat frequency charts below. I believe they are 90 db and 5 ohm speakers.

110 cm high, 60 cm deep and 33 wide and needs some space from the rear wall , though not ported.

The speakers can be split into 3 boxes for shipment, however they came as is as local and someone like pack and send would be required for shipment safely , they would weigh 70 -80 kilos as a guess.

The story ...

During 2019 I was undecided on the future of my stereo and sold my B and W 802 diamond speakers , whilst looking for new ones, I discovered War Audio and the speakers which were 80 percent complete, I became very fond of them as they were completed and listened to then several times for long periods at WAR Audio with a expensive Japanese Bakoon system. As Pat adjusted them to my liking and he to perfect them to his they grew on me more and more so I said I would buy . Even after I placed the order Pat continued to work on the crossovers to a point that he deemed them to be perfect.

However another esteemed colleague from SNA and Melbourne who lot so of you know was trying to locate my for ever speakers and in one day both collided so to speak. 

I had said I wanted the Focals and I could not help but be in awe of the recommendation by the new found pair discovered for sale in Melbourne. 

So I decided to stick to getting both which caused me untold grief and financial issues but a commitment is a commitment.

On arriving home my wife took an instant dis liking to having 4 massive speakers in the room ( surprise) and after listening to both we chose what suited the house, the music , our room and decided to keep the Wilson Benesch Chimeras which have now been partnered with a matching Torus so its time to sell these. 

The sound is different , quite similar but more bass than the Wilsons on a wooden floor but maybe isolation would tighten this up a tad. This was unnoticed at the store where the speakers were set up better than I ca at home on a concrete , carpeted floor. So it might be positioning, they are very detailed and musical and quite large, they are not ported and very deep which throws a wonderful bass signal out and opens up and amazing soundstage,  mid range and detail galore. They were very close to each other, I asked other members of my family to listen - really listen and an unanimous decision was made in our room , they worked better and fitted better. 

in reality the Wilsons were closer to half the price of a real Focal Maestros speakers and others I know locally find the Focals better than the Wilsons, however at the end of the day a decision had to be made and was

They were demoed in store and fine tuned at War audio which is more of a work room than a stereo shop. So its like them being run in on a work bench before boxed up or not as the case was to sell, they are 99 percent perfect with a couple of small marks or smudges /imperfections near the base from being moved around to the spray shop and internally at War Audio but as good as new could get for this type of custom made speaker.

Since being home we have tried them for a couple of hours and then put back safely in the place they were delivered to and photographed and not touched. I therefore call them 99 percent new.

This was a local purchase and a few of us swap gear from time to time and are all members of sna, these speakers were not paid for all in cash, about half and half in high quality trades, they owe me about the asking price and the price is very close to firm, I may be persuaded to move a fraction. Y=These are not everyday speakers and this is not an everyday sale. For the right person and system its a bargain, an amazing set of speakers unmatched in the high environment until you get to six figures.

Its an EOI at this stage but they will be for sale to the right buyer. The point source ribbons have special covers on to protect them when to in use - they are black In some photos. Please don't ask me anything too technical as i really am not that switched on. 

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

Resized_20200315_114836.jpeg

Resized_20200315_114815.jpeg

Resized_20200315_114731.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2