Sign in to follow this  
metal beat

Roger Federer on the way out ?

I see Rachel McQuillan most days at school pickup and she's still pretty fit I can tell ya!

Edited by blybo

14 minutes ago, blybo said:

I'd actually like to see men & women slams where it's best of 3 up to the round of 16, and the Masters 1000 and equivalent in womens best of 5 in semi & final. We wouldn't get the boring 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 score lines of early round qualifiers coming up against World #1, and for the women it would force them to make fitness a higher priority, if they want to make it to the top where they know they'll need to be able to go 5 sets.

I'd also speed up the hardcourts and grass. Perhaps we might get a return of more serve volley/all court game style. 

I'm happy with the status quo as far as the number of sets the men and women play at the slams. I think it's a mistake to compare the two games, because the women have their following and they play as well as they can given their physical limitations, but they'll never be able to play with the same strength as the men, not even at Challenger level, let alone the main ATP tour players and I think the top women players like Williams, Muguraza etc would all agree.

I agree about the serve volley game and  often lament the era when they followed their serve in, first and second ball. I hasten to add that I mean that in relation to the singles game too, but even the doubles game is changing with many teams these days opting to stay back on their serve and risk giving away that advantage at net. 

Cheers,

Keith

8 hours ago, blybo said:

As hard as I tried I was falling asleep in the 2nd set so took myself to bed thinking it was in the bag as Cilic was an emotional wreck, never seen that so early in a match which was still up for grabs

In the 2nd set Federer hit a rising backhand winner that was well worth staying awake for. 

In the 2nd set Federer hit a rising backhand winner that was well worth staying awake for. 

Pretty sure I saw that. Was thinking how the new racquet has changed what probably his only weak link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, blybo said:

I'd actually like to see men & women slams where it's best of 3 up to the round of 16, and the Masters 1000 and equivalent in womens best of 5 in semi & final. We wouldn't get the boring 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 score lines of early round qualifiers coming up against World #1, and for the women it would force them to make fitness a higher priority, if they want to make it to the top where they know they'll need to be able to go 5 sets.

I'd also speed up the hardcourts and grass. Perhaps we might get a return of more serve volley/all court game style. 

I love the best of 5 sets in the grand slams.  It is a true test of skill, fitness and concentration.

Reducing it to 3 sets would be short sighted and plain stupid.

The woman's, does anyone really care - best of 3 is fine.

4 hours ago, Jake said:

I see Rachel McQuillan most days at school pickup and she's still pretty fit I can tell ya!

I remember Rachel.  Nice and fit

images.jpg

27 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I remember Rachel.  Nice and fit

images.jpg

I've met both! :D

I love the best of 5 sets in the grand slams.  It is a true test of skill, fitness and concentration.
  Reducing it to 3 sets would be short sighted and plain stupid.

The woman's, does anyone really care - best of 3 is fine.

Only best of 3 for the first 3 rounds. Would really help organizers as well when we have rain in week 1.

Just watched the replay on fox. I really now rate Federer as the overall sportsman "goat". He's won slams 16 years apart now in a truly world sport and done so with such class and grace

I've met both! [emoji3]

No more school pick ups for you... if your wife reads this

11 hours ago, Jake said:

I've met both! :D

I never had the pleasure of meeting Anna, but I knew Rachel and her family well and Rachel certainly was one of the fittest girls on tour when she was playing. It doesn't surprise me that she is still in great shape. My younger brother was born the same year as Rachel and came up through juniors with her and they did spent some time holding hands in the late '90s too.;)

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

On 7/17/2017 at 8:38 PM, blybo said:

Pretty sure I saw that. Was thinking how the new racquet has changed what probably his only weak link

I love how the commentators said the only part of Federer's game that he needs to improve on is his 'challenge' calls. :P  

On 7/17/2017 at 8:02 AM, cheekyboy said:

You reckon, LHC?.........:D He's won every Grand Slam he entered this year and just to match the great Rafa too, he's done it without losing a set. You're absolutely correct about Roger being dominant.

Yeap, take it from Federer himself in this interview. 

Every generation definitely is different,” Federer said. “Since my generation and Rafa’s generation, the next one hasn’t been strong enough to push all of us out really, so that has been helpful for us to stick around.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tennis/generation-never-federer-blasts-young-crop-of-tennis-players-who-were-supposed-to-take-over/news-story/d9949625fe2cabd60b8ca53f411e4277

The latest ATP ranking has Murray as 1st, Nadal as 2nd, and Federer 3rd. The US Open is shaping up to be big. 

1 minute ago, LHC said:

Yeap, take it from Federer himself in this interview. 

Every generation definitely is different,” Federer said. “Since my generation and Rafa’s generation, the next one hasn’t been strong enough to push all of us out really, so that has been helpful for us to stick around.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tennis/generation-never-federer-blasts-young-crop-of-tennis-players-who-were-supposed-to-take-over/news-story/d9949625fe2cabd60b8ca53f411e4277

The latest ATP ranking has Murray as 1st, Nadal as 2nd, and Federer 3rd. The US Open is shaping up to be big. 

Ah, my question was rhetorical, LHC..................I was being facetious, but still agreeing with you!;) You said you thought he was still dominant and I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

Cheers,

Keith

I didn't see the interview from which the quote above was taken, but when you think about it, Roger is probably correct and it goes a long way toward explaining why he and Rafa are still at the top of the game. They are freakishly good though, so it would have taken an exception batch of players coming up to have dislodged them..............it maybe sometime before we see the game dominated like this again.

Cheers,

Keith

I thought Rafa in Paris was possibly the best he has ever been.

Roger in London was almost perfect. I reckon he has been playing with some injury for the previous 3 or 4 seasons, but not now.

As for the discussion about women playing best of 5. 

1. They are on equal money (I believe - which doesn't make sense to me)

2. All the epic matches I remember were 5-setters, yet we deny women the chance to have "epic matches" - just not fair. 

Who is a good up-and-coming tennis star? All I ever hear about is Fed and Rafa

Edited by winnerwinner

Hi @winnerwinner, if you're talking about who is most likely to take over from the current top players, Nadal, Federer, Murray and you could also include Djokovic, Cilic and Warinka in that group too, I guess the two that stick out the most for me would be Alexander Zverev and Domonic Thiem, but you could also include Milos Raonic in with them as well. I think particularly Zverev and Thiem are going to be dominant for many years to come.

Cheers,

Keith

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

What about Nick?  :)

Nick who? Next thing you'll be asking "what about Bernard?".:lol:

44 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Nick who? Next thing you'll be asking "what about Bernard?".:lol:

Bernard who? :)

On the Way Out?

Not Yet!!

Excellent final. Civic was brave and early in the 5th it was anyone's match.

Well done Federer.  20th grand slam win from 30 finals.

6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

Edited by metal beat

Who started this thread back in 2011? :P:na: To be fair, Roger has exceed everyone's expectation. The word immortal comes to mind. 

He might be getting over it though, he seems a bit more cranky than usual but it isn't hurting him I guess. :D