Right in the NADs - should I sell mine?

Hey Guys,

New to the hifi game and doing some research.

I currently have a NAD T777 Surround amp original 2012 model (https://nadelectronics.com/product/t-777-av-surround-sound-receiver/).

I mainly listen to my music through Spotify/Tidal/MP3 or FLAC on my computers.

I was thinking of going for an AudioLab stack of 6000A (https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000a/) with the network streamer (https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000n/) and maybe later the CD transport to play the old CD's I have.

I only have two old Celestion Ditton 44's and listen to in stereo and I don't see myself moving to surround sound anytime soon.

Bit out of my depth knowing what I do have compered to what I think I want.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

Moving from your NAD receiver to a stereo amplifier will definitely bring about sonic benefits - so if you've got some money to spend - definitely go for it. Since you are also interested in streaming music, you will need a DAC. Maybe an all in one (amp, streamer & DAC) from the likes of Naim, Musical Fidelity, Sim Audio, Hegel etc. would be up your ally. Which one depends upon your budget - you will find options from $1000 to many thousands. You could also buy used from the classifieds section of the forum for better value.

Any plans to upgrade the speakers?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

Moving from your NAD receiver to a stereo amplifier will definitely bring about sonic benefits - so if you've got some money to spend - definitely go for it. Since you are also interested in streaming music, you will need a DAC. Maybe an all in one (amp, streamer & DAC) from the likes of Naim, Musical Fidelity, Sim Audio, Hegel etc. would be up your ally. Which one depends upon your budget - you will find options from $1000 to many thousands. You could also buy used from the classifieds section of the forum for better value.

Any plans to upgrade the speakers?

Heya,

Thanks for the reply!

Great - hoping I was going down the right path with the change. At the moment I only have an Audinst HUD Mx2 (for headphones guessing that won't do me any favours at the moment - http://www.audinst.com/en/mx2).

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look at a few. I would say my budget is from $1000 just above or below. 

Eventually yes I do want to upgrade - they can still produce lovely clear sound but are 40 years old and the cones are suffering some damage.

I have been looking at the Wharfedale Linton Heritage, I like that vintage look and they fit my budget as well (https://www.deniswhitehomecinema.com.au/wharfedale-linton-heritage-speakers-with-stands.html). I was looking at JBL L100 or Harbeth but they are outrageously priced.

Cheers.

The Lintons are an excellent speaker and great value for money.  I too was after the L100's and settled for the Wharfedales instead.

They do like a bit of power so a dedicated integrated stereo amp would be the way to go IMHO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

The Lintons are an excellent speaker and great value for money.  I too was after the L100's and settled for the Wharfedales instead.

They do like a bit of power so a dedicated integrated stereo amp would be the way to go IMHO.

Ahh good to know! They seems like they would be a good 'like for like' replacement for what I need.

Sorry for not knowing, I'm guessing the 6000A would be able to handle them ok?

Cheers.

The 6000A would do a reasonable job, I guess it depends on how loud you like to play and what level of bass depth and slam you're after. 

By comparison I'm using a Denon PMA 1600NE in a 30m2 room and although the volume dial never gets past 9 o'clock the speakers really can dig quite deep and roll along with gusto, depending on the source material.

• Thanks 1

The Lintons are a good choice. I've not heard these - but have heard other speakers in the wharfedale lineup. Most of their speakers are on the warmer side - so you may need to pair them up with a more neutral sounding amplifier. Below is a thread that might be useful

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

The 6000A would do a reasonable job, I guess it depends on how loud you like to play and what level of bass depth and slam you're after. 

By comparison I'm using a Denon PMA 1600NE in a 30m2 room and although the volume dial never gets past 9 o'clock the speakers really can dig quite deep and roll along with gusto, depending on the source material.

Cheers!

Probably don't need to be cranking too hard these days. Would have loved bass and level when I was younger.

But definitely want to know it's not something you would normally get to experience, if you know what I mean. 

Appreciate it!

8 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

The Lintons are a good choice. I've not heard these - but have heard other speakers in the wharfedale lineup. Most of their speakers are on the warmer side - so you may need to pair them up with a more neutral sounding amplifier. Below is a thread that might be useful

Warm is good.

Thanks will have a read. 

Cheers.

The T777 is a nice sounding AVR.  You should hear improvement, but you may not.  Just because you move from an AVR to a integrated/separates doesn't guarantee an improved result, or a result that you like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

The T777 is a nice sounding AVR.  You should hear improvement, but you may not.  Just because you move from an AVR to a integrated/separates doesn't guarantee an improved result, or a result that you like. 

Yeah right. I get what you're saying. Definitely something to think about.

A bit difficult at the moment but demoing is always best.  I would suggest to go to some stores and listen to stuff even if a bit above your budget, lets you know what can be done, brands you might like, performance you might want to achieve but like above the NAD AVRs are pretty well regarded.

There is Brisbane Hifi (and Trimera but it's more upmarket), The Audio Tailor and Living Sound. They all have fantastic staff and you might get a good deal and/or want to stretch the budget. Good idea to take some music you know but they all have streaming so maybe just share your playlist from Tidal and you can play your tracks there from their Tidal account or at least search tracks you know. Think they would be able to load a thumb drive if you take one.

Used stuff from here, gumtree, fb is good too.

Yep stay with stereo unless you have a theatre room or budget for 2 systems with HT bypass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

A bit difficult at the moment but demoing is always best.  I would suggest to go to some stores and listen to stuff even if a bit above your budget, lets you know what can be done, brands you might like, performance you might want to achieve but like above the NAD AVRs are pretty well regarded.

There is Brisbane Hifi (and Trimera but it's more upmarket), The Audio Tailor and Living Sound. They all have fantastic staff and you might get a good deal and/or want to stretch the budget. Good idea to take some music you know but they all have streaming so maybe just share your playlist from Tidal and you can play your tracks there from their Tidal account or at least search tracks you know. Think they would be able to load a thumb drive if you take one.

Used stuff from here, gumtree, fb is good too.

Yep stay with stereo unless you have a theatre room or budget for 2 systems with HT bypass

Very true. 

I don't really know what a great/decent system sounds like outside of what I have. So definitely keen to hear what is achievable. I just have my phone plugged in via 3.5 to RCA at the moment. 

I would definitely like to take some tracks I would like to hear on a good system.

I have been on Audio Tailors website the most and even emailing them asking if my Amp is any value to them. Seemed nice and friendly. 

And yes feels a little overkill of an amp to have just running stereo for some tunes. 

Might try and hop down to someone soon and have a listen. 

Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2020 at 7:54 PM, arcadiarhod said:

I just have my phone plugged in via 3.5 to RCA at the moment. 

Keeping what you have and introducing a DAC and some lossless files will have more impact on SQ than a new amp or set of speakers.

The DAC will brighten the 44's up, as you mentioned they are old but you also mentioned you don't mind a warmer sound. I have a pair and they can be a bit muddy with poor recordings. However they have a highly regarded HF tweeter and the 12" bass drivers move a lot of air for that 70's body bass. I think you would be surprised if you feed them a bigger wave, they will seperate and loose some of the muddle.

I have lived with some big old Wharfedales in a share house but don't know anything about the Lintons, they look nice and fast but doubt they would have the bass extension that the Dittons could have if harnessed properly. IMO get a reasonable DAC first, guaranteed jaw dropping moment if stepping up from MP3's on any system. 

5 hours ago, Powerglide said:

Keeping what you have and introducing a DAC and some lossless files will have more impact on SQ than a new amp or set of speakers.

The DAC will brighten the 44's up, as you mentioned they are old but you also mentioned you don't mind a warmer sound. I have a pair and they can be a bit muddy with poor recordings. However they have a highly regarded HF tweeter and the 12" bass drivers move a lot of air for that 70's body bass. I think you would be surprised if you feed them a bigger wave, they will seperate and loose some of the muddle.

I have lived with some big old Wharfedales in a share house but don't know anything about the Lintons, they look nice and fast but doubt they would have the bass extension that the Dittons could have if harnessed properly. IMO get a reasonable DAC first, guaranteed jaw dropping moment if stepping up from MP3's on any system. 

Hey powerglide,

Thanks for the response.

I ended up getting a Cambridge Audio CXA61 amp so I had the option for USB and Bluetooth. It works great the Dittons and definitely has a different sound and vibe than the NAD.

Great to hear someone else has some D 44's as well. For their age, mine are running great from what I can tell. They still have great bass depth as you mentioned, still a really enjoyable listening experience. I doubt I would get rid of them but just want to know what different speakers would sound like. I might just get some bookshelves for something a bit different and have the 44's for when it needs to be loud.

And yep, FLAC's sound way better!

Good work on the amp.

I've only had the Celestions for a few months and only had a decent listen a couple of times before I took them to my workshop. The amp or space are not the best for Hi Fi but they still produce a nice timbre.

I brought them as a project, the cabinets need rebuilding and I will give the crossovers to another member for his analysis. 

For a great speaker they don't command a lot of money, just a bit of fun then share the love. 

hope you find what you are looking for in the bookshelves, you will get more bang for your buck second hand in my opinion.

IMG_0737.thumb.PNG.e967a4d7652c3fb2e060fcdb5c7a2960.PNG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/06/2020 at 5:22 PM, Powerglide said:

Good work on the amp.

I've only had the Celestions for a few months and only had a decent listen a couple of times before I took them to my workshop. The amp or space are not the best for Hi Fi but they still produce a nice timbre.

I brought them as a project, the cabinets need rebuilding and I will give the crossovers to another member for his analysis. 

For a great speaker they don't command a lot of money, just a bit of fun then share the love. 

hope you find what you are looking for in the bookshelves, you will get more bang for your buck second hand in my opinion.

Here is my month long reply, sorry mate.

Still loving the amp so that's good, cheers.

Yeh how does the table hold up when they are cranking?

Considering I got them as a hand me down I'm not complaining for the quality they have.

Cheers - second hand might not be a bad way to go to try out some speakers on the cheap and find what I like.

• 3 weeks later...

I have enjoyed my wharfedale lintons for about 3 months now and I can confidently say I have not heard a better mid range sounding speaker for that price (and more). Vocals sound incredibly natural and present through these speakers. Music becomes so easy listen to. I really love them. For $2.5k with stands it was a no brainer. I'm using a Rega Elicit amp, bluesound node 2i and chord Qutest Dac. The synergy is on point imo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, psoli888 said:

I have enjoyed my wharfedale lintons for about 3 months now and I can confidently say I have not heard a better mid range sounding speaker for that price (and more). Vocals sound incredibly natural and present through these speakers. Music becomes so easy listen to. I really love them. For $2.5k with stands it was a no brainer. I'm using a Rega Elicit amp, bluesound node 2i and chord Qutest Dac. The synergy is on point imo. 

Good to know!

Yeh for the price and quality you get seems like a real win.

The bluesound looks good too, might be cheaper than forking out for the Cambridge network streamer.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, arcadiarhod said:

Good to know!

Yeh for the price and quality you get seems like a real win.

The bluesound looks good too, might be cheaper than forking out for the Cambridge network streamer.

Cheers.

Definitely. I'm very pleased with the nodes musical sound and very good, glitch free app. ? 

23 minutes ago, psoli888 said:

Definitely. I'm very pleased with the nodes musical sound and very good, glitch free app. ? 

Sounds good. I might put that in the wishlist and see what happens when I'm ready to purchase.

• Like 1