Macintosh OSX - 30 year consultant. Ask me anything.

46 minutes ago, MrRogers said:

Macbook Air or MacBook Pro 13"?

Air. Ergonomics.
Has physical function keys at top, not the "touch-bar". And the tapered wedge shape is a better fit for typing, imho.

Same "M1" processor, same performance in 99% of tasks.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

The extra fan in the MBP makes almost no difference to performance, on the "M1 - burst or sustained.

Fan did make a difference on Intel chips, which are effectively obsolete now.

TBH, not a great difference in weight/volume between the current 13" Air and 13" MBP. Used to be a deciding factor, not so much now.

If you can swing it, get a "CTO" with 16gb ram, for future headroom. Sweet spot 512 SSD/16gb ram.

CTO will slow delivery by about 3 weeks - straight from Shanghai factory to your door.

Edited by 11Parsecs
  • Like 3

Okay, now I need another Apple display to replace the one that I currently have, it decided to stop working, for my 2009 Mac Pro tower computer, I have also upgraded my graphics card to a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, which Apple display model and the biggest size, did Apple release in 2009 ? Thanks 

On 20/02/2021 at 8:53 PM, Digital Man said:

Okay, now I need another Apple display to replace the one that I currently have, it decided to stop working, for my 2009 Mac Pro tower computer, I have also upgraded my graphics card to a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, which Apple display model and the biggest size, did Apple release in 2009 ? Thanks 

Many variables.

Have you contacted the seller of your gtx 680 for a compatible monitor? They should be able to point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Formatting text on this forum?

G'day thrill seekers.

Another member asked me - via pm - about the topic of formatting text on this site.

Link below is what a VERY quick search by me, probably incomplete, brought up.

If anyone has a better guide/post/how to/more up to date info then this, please share ?

Edited by 11Parsecs

On 05/03/2021 at 10:39 AM, Digital Man said:

Hi, Apple Cinema Display that I am wanting is a 23” or a 30”, either one, model numbers are A1082 and A1083, respectively. Thanks.

ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_geositeid=0&replaceid=51239698018&_nkw=(apple) (A1082%2C A1083)&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw&_sacat=0&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=4&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_sadis=15&_stpos&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_fsradio2=%26LH_LocatedIn%3D1&_salic=15&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_fosrp=1&_clu=2&_fcid=15&_localstpos&gbr=1&_zpclkd=1

Since Apple stopped selling monitors, I went to Dell. They have a no quibbles guarantee on dead pixels. (And.. the panels are better... until Apple get back into the business of consumer monitors, if ever?).

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/monitors-monitor-accessories/ar/4009?appliedRefinements=2566&sortBy=price-ascending

But.

You'll have to ask the seller of your GTX 680 what monitor ports (plugs around the back) are ACTIVE.

Different ROM's ('hacks') will enable/disable the various plugs. Many variables. "Framebuffers", port enumerators, and other geeky terms.

Only the seller knows what he used, and what your options are. 

... been getting a few PM's on various things Apple related.

You'll get me faster in this generic thread - Plus I can share the love with y'all, and get group feedback here on whether my opinion and field experience are relevant. If it helps, I'm happy. ? 

(also, my one on one time is for consultancy, which I am NOT seeking through this forum).

"Are Apple refurbs ok?".

If its current-ish stock, with a little discount - Yes.

It's - mostly, as far as I can ascertain - ex demo or ex Apple executive stock.

Some of it is old, so double check the value against brand new - might be similar model designation, ie "MacBookPro" but two years older - weaker cores and gpu usually.

Same 12 month warranty as new no matter what you get.

Returns etc? that's between you and Apple. Call them, I can't speak on behalf of Apple - I just use their products in the field. (In fact, I take NO kickbacks, tails etc. Ever).

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/refurbished/mac

Edited by 11Parsecs
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 5:11 PM, 11Parsecs said:

... been getting a few PM's on various things Apple related.

You'll get me faster in this generic thread - Plus I can share the love with y'all, and get group feedback here on whether my opinion and field experience are relevant. If it helps, I'm happy. ? 

(also, my one on one time is for consultancy, which I am NOT seeking through this forum).

"Are Apple refurbs ok?".

If its current-ish stock, with a little discount - Yes.

It's - mostly, as far as I can ascertain - ex demo or ex Apple executive stock.

Same 12 month warranty as new no matter what you get.

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/refurbished/mac

Replying to my own post ?

Just to add another important consideration on Apple refurbs. (Which are fine for warranty etc).

VALUE:

As of March 2021, the majority of the refurbs are INTEL based. From a price/performance perspective. Intel are DEAD.

You'd want at least a 20% price reduction (more like 50%) on Intel to even consider them. Apple silicon at full retail is better value than a discounted Intel device.

I'd still go ebay for a 2 core Intel portable from 2014 onwards ie:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_ftrt=901&_sop=3&_sadis=15&_udhi=900&_mPrRngCbx=1&_blrs=spell_check&_stpos=2017&_fosrp=1&_dmd=1&LH_BIN=1&_ipg=200&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=13 macbook pro -15.4%2C -2011%2C -2012%2C -128gb&LH_PrefLoc=1&_dcat=111422&rt=nc&_udlo

Apple Silicon. The caveats. - Or why you might still want/need Intel:

Portables:

• You NEED more than 2 thunderbolt ports.
• You NEED bootcamp
• You NEED external GPU support.
• A piece of your critical software DOESN'T run on Big Sur. (Can't think of any mainstream software off the top of my head, but there's quite a few of you on here with 'older' audio hardware.

• You really like being able to boot from an external OS drive - Either USB stick or hard drive.  

- This is more for us in the field service folk. welp. Hope Apple fix this in a software or Apple silicon revision. M1X?

I've seen a few M1 Macs on the Apple refurb list. Not a HUGE discount, but $50 or $100 bucks is still something. They get snapped up fast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi All, Question, Will the Apple iSight external camera work with either, Mojave and Catalina ? On a Apple Tower Mac Pro, 2009 ? Thanks 

If no one here knows...?

"We believe in the long term value of Apple hardware. You should be able to use your Apple gear as long as it helps you remain productive and meets your needs, upgrading only as necessary. We want to help maximize the life of your Apple gear"

For anyone wanting to squeeze more life out of 'classic' Macs, there's a really good site called:

https://lowendmac.com/

To use their search function, you need an account:

https://lowendmac.com/wp-login.php?action=register

Let us know how you go.

Edited by 11Parsecs

8 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi All, Question, Will the Apple iSight external camera work with either, Mojave and Catalina ? On a Apple Tower Mac Pro, 2009 ? Thanks 

The iSight FireWire camera still works with Big Sur, I believe the answer is yes.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 5:41 PM, Steffen said:

The iSight FireWire camera still works with Big Sur, I believe the answer is yes.

Well, I've learnt something new ?

That answer had me stumped. Really stumped. - "What - legitimate 100% Apple supported - Mac with Big Sur has a FW connector built in?

Duh. None.

Dongle time: iMac to iSight.
Demo of the 2003 Apple iSight webcam's 640 x 480 camera quality starts at about the two minute mark.

Here's the "jump off" video that got me to that one:

Dongle motherlode: Not a webcam example. How to get FW 400 device to Thunderbolt 3.

So. Yeah. If you have an Apple iSight webcam lying around, there's a method for making it work, up to Big Sur.

2021 equivalent:
If you want a newer camera that'll work without all the adapter spaghetti (and cost, and points of failure), this looks promising:

https://www.poly.com/au/en/products/video-conferencing/studio-p/studio-p5

Speaking of cable spaghetti...

FWIW:

For my children's Twitch streaming ambitions, I got a Sony Alpha 5100.

Worth putting up with the cable/adapter mess, as its the cheapest camera with "clean" HDMI output, and a whopping APS-C sensor. (Also interchangeable glass, but the kit lens is fine).

APS- whaaat? The sensor behind the lens, the thing collecting the light. Bigger sensor, more light.

Here's a sensor size comparison:
984021362_ScreenShot2020-12-24at10_26.52am-1.png.1cda58e555ed6217af53893f6c75b313.png

Its very easy to get a clean image on the Sony A5100 without fancy lighting. Sony's auto focus is nice too. Really nice.

Not pretty, for the user. Doesn't matter from the viewers POV though.

292848297_ScreenShot2021-03-28at6_25_30pm.png.76525ae0cbf05aa96363f017826ee23b.png

Few times I've been roped into a Zoom call, its performed flawlessly. Biggest talking point was the headphones.

Any audiophiles in the room ?

315594436_ScreenShot2021-03-28at6_40_56pm.png.03ad4a8a6ff2fce3f32e88d837336a93.png

LCD-X Microphone.

-----------------------------------------------------

If I were to get a proper stand alone camera as a webcam replacement today, the Sony ZV1 would be it.

Just need a usb cable to the computer, not all the other do-dads, like HDMI, battery substitute, capture card etc. Simple. Trade off is lack of a blurry background.

Comprehensive review of the Sony ZV1 from 7 months ago - prior to the webcam firmware update:

The ZV1 firmware was updated early 2021 to work as a webcam, over a single USB connection.

Doing away with a capture card, like the Elgato Cam link, simplifying power management, and NOT needing Sony's "Image Edge" software as a go-between.

You can also use quite a few other Sony compact cameras, but they require an extra software install "Image Edge":

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/webcam/en/instruction/ 

This guy below isn't my speed (eposvox - video above -  is way more "my people"), but its a quick overview of the process on a ZV1:

$15 option better video streaming than any webcam:

One of the simplest - and cheapest - ways to upgrade your video signal beyond the quality of Apple's iSight lineup - whether Apple's utterly gorgeous 2003-2006 external 'webcam' - 640 x 480 - arguably in 2021 still has better industrial design than any other webcam. Ever. Such a shame the video quality is the equivalent of using a pager in 2021.

... Or (better video than) ANY of the built in Apple iSight cameras on your pre 2020 Macs, is to use your iPhone's rear camera, connected via "camo":

You need iOS 12 or better, which means an iPhone 5s or newer.

https://reincubate.com/support/how-to/why-are-webcams-bad/

https://reincubate.com/camo/

The $15 bit:
iPhone slotted holder - Local Amazon prime options.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/List_of_iPhones#iPhone_5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_12#Supported_devices

The 2010 iPhone 4's front facing camera matched the 2003 Apple iSight webcam for resolution. Apple's iPhone silicon wizardry, aka computational photography, compensated for the lack of the iSight's better physical lens.

Have fun.

From top of this post to bottom are examples of getting progressively better images for video calls, really depends on your inclination and budget.

Enjoy.

Edited by 11Parsecs
camo - webcams suck updates

18 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi Guys, I am wanting to use it, if it will be compatible with a Apple 2009 Mac Pro Tower Desktop computer, not a laptop 

From the first video in the previous post, we can safely extrapolate that if it works on an iMac with Big Sur and an adaptor, it'll work on a Mac Pro without an adaptor.

If you don't already have an iSight webcam, consider using your iPhone's camera with "camo", or getting something newer that works over USB. You'll have more options for other Macs.

Camo: iPhone camera piggy back.
https://reincubate.com/camo/

USB:
https://www.poly.com/au/en/products/video-conferencing/studio-p/studio-p5

Edited by 11Parsecs

12 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi Guys, I am wanting to use it, if it will be compatible with a Apple 2009 Mac Pro Tower Desktop computer, not a laptop 

Yes, it will be straight-forward on a 2009 Mac Pro.

On my MacBook Pro I had to use the Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter, and also a different cable. The adapter has a FW800 port, so I needed to use a FW400-to-FW800 cable with the iSight.

• 4 weeks later...

So... I took a bullet for the team ?

ONYX.png

Primary purpose was to give a bit more oomph on headphone output vs the 2013 Mac Pro onboard options.

It delivers on this. Significantly fuller sound at lower volume.

Honestly, the LCD-X's mainly get used for watching movies and some shows (we haven't had a TV for 8 years now).

Music listening takes up, maybe, 10% of total time with the LCD-X's.

What about "Hi Res"? Meh...
Did a quick n dirty music comparison with Tidal Vs Qobuz. ie 1 identical track on both platforms. Hardly comprehensive critical listening.

Onyx LED lights didn't go to purple on a - supposedly - 'master' Tidal track. 

However... There was a subtle difference in flavour, to some of the acoustic properties. Echo and decay, timbre? Ethereal stuff, at the edges of the sound field. Is that what psychoacoustics is about?

Maybe I'm kidding myself? Biases and what not. Mmm, doesn't really matter,  didn't get the Onyx for MQA. I know its mainly upsampling from 44.1 anyway, and Tidal is kinda cheating with their "master" terminology i many cases.

But if the mqa/Tidal is doing its 'treatment' to the source material I actually like it, maybe my ears have grown accustomed to that flavour of sound? (Using Tidal for 9 months).

My ears, on my set-up, didn't go "Wow Qobuz really is the real deal, Tidal is junk, bye Felicia". Not by a long shot.

Admittedly, I'm the audiophile noob here, inversely proportional to Mac chops.

Maybe some of you could point me in the direction of some source material to push the A/B of the 'Hi Res' stuff?

Recap:
Onyx did what I want: More oomph for movies on Audeze LCD-X's.

Edited by 11Parsecs

1 hour ago, 11Parsecs said:

So... I took a bullet for the team ?

ONYX.png

Primary purpose was to give a bit more oomph on headphone output vs the 2013 Mac Pro onboard options.

It delivers on this. Significantly fuller sound at lower volume.

Honestly, the LCD-X's mainly get used for watching movies and some shows (we haven't had a TV for 8 years now).

Music listening takes up, maybe, 10% of total time with the LCD-X's.

What about "Hi Res"? Meh...
Did a quick n dirty music comparison with Tidal Vs Qobuz. ie 1 identical track on both platforms. Hardly comprehensive critical listening.

Onyx LED lights didn't go to purple on a - supposedly - 'master' Tidal track. 

However... There was a subtle difference in flavour, to some of the acoustic properties. Echo and decay, timbre? Ethereal stuff, at the edges of the sound field. Is that what psychoacoustics is about?

Maybe I'm kidding myself? Biases and what not. Mmm, doesn't really matter,  didn't get the Onyx for MQA. I know its mainly upsampling from 44.1 anyway, and Tidal is kinda cheating with their "master" terminology i many cases.

But if the mqa/Tidal is doing its 'treatment' to the source material I actually like it, maybe my ears have grown accustomed to that flavour of sound? (Using Tidal for 9 months).

My ears, on my set-up, didn't go "Wow Qobuz really is the real deal, Tidal is junk, bye Felicia". Not by a long shot.

Admittedly, I'm the audiophile noob here, inversely proportional to Mac chops.

Maybe some of you could point me in the direction of some source material to push the A/B of the 'Hi Res' stuff?

Recap:
Onyx did what I want: More oomph for movies on Audeze LCD-X's.

When I got my ifi MQA DAC/Headphone amp, I had to do a lot of fiddling with renderer settings in Roon to get the purple lights on. I never use Tidal directly from a browser or app so can't help with their UI. I don't really care either way, just wanted to make sure it was working, but do feel MQA is giving a slightly clearer and fuller sound over my Audioengine 5+ desktop speakers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blybo said:

When I got my ifi MQA DAC/Headphone amp, I had to do a lot of fiddling with renderer settings in Roon to get the purple lights on. I never use Tidal directly from a browser or app so can't help with their UI. I don't really care either way, just wanted to make sure it was working, but do feel MQA is giving a slightly clearer and fuller sound over my Audioengine 5+ desktop speakers.

Thank you.

I'm using both the Tidal and Qobuz Mac OS desktop apps with their audio settings to maximum:

Qobuz:

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.57.25 pm.png

Tidal.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.58.22 pm.png

If I'd started with Qobuz and had a ton of 'curated' playlists, there's be no compelling reason to jump ship.

... Until someone here points me to the Ultimate 24 bit track ?

Edited by 11Parsecs