Macintosh OSX - 30 year consultant. Ask me anything.

1 hour ago, Honreekea said:

hostgator using imap

Try this on your M1...

If you need some additional tools on how your email is 'seen' by the internet: (This is what Apple's automagic set-up would use).

https://mxtoolbox.com/

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#ANY/

https://intodns.com/

https://viewdns.info/ismysitedown/

Let me know how you go.

Edited by 11Parsecs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRG9h549NfU

thanks..

I have all the passwords, account names  for this email account on the old iMac..  I've gone ahead and created the email account on the M1.  It's downloaded some odd 200 emails from the hostgator server, but there are many more older emails on the iMac  that aren't on the server which I was hoping to get onto the new M1.

cheers

5 hours ago, Honreekea said:

thanks..

there are many more older emails on the iMac  that aren't on the server which I was hoping to get onto the new M1.

cheers

Okey dokey. You'll have to manually export the mailboxes.

It's REALLY slow on the export.  Seriously slow. But it works. Eventually. (Turn on activity monitor).

Strongly suggest you plug in a usb powered drive (to the c2d mac) and make that the TARGET for you "mbox" folder export.

Otherwise you'll be exporting to the internal hard drive, (assuming there's enough space to double up the mail?) and then moving the export to the external hard drive with usb 2 speeds. Slow and slower.

Reference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+mail+export&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU861AU861&sxsrf=ALeKk00-Uq8kDVu8awYRjEasVOE6shqIkg:1607411656537&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVs66G673tAhUWxDgGHSvRD2oQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1271&bih=581

Edited by 11Parsecs

On 02/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, Digital Man said:

Would using a iPod classic 5.5 do what I wish to achieve? Load it up with my ripped AIFF files, connect to a iPod dock ?! then to a amp/headphone amp?

Yes, that's the simplest path using what you have on hand.

https://www.macintoshhowto.com/itunes/how-to-connect-your-iphone-or-ipod-to-your-stereo.html

Recap: MacPro 4.1/5.1 - Mac OS 10.13.6/High Sierra is easiest to maintain, and is "backward/forward" compatible with audio devices you already own: iPod classic/Ares Mini.

10.14x aka "Mojave" onwards would require a "metal" capable GPU. Opencore is the way to go, and will require a weekend or two of fiddling to get to grips with it. There's plenty of "how to's" on the net, just requires patience and pen and paper. 

The only compelling reason (that I can immediately think of, please tell me if I"m wrong?)  to do this - buy another GPU AND learn OpenCore - is for 4k netflix streaming from Safari. Do you have a 4k monitor connected to the MacPro?

Even then... 4k streaming will chew through your iPhone data plan lickety split: minimum 7GB an hour. The Queens Gambit would exhaust your data plan ?

We have unlimited fibre (to the basement), and still watch most YouTube/streaming content at 720p.

Streaming Data Usage: per hour.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-much-data-does-netflix-use-976146/

Hope that helps.

On 02/12/2020 at 10:21 PM, 11Parsecs said:

Yes, use your iPod/dock to the Ares via the rca jack.

OpenCore "bootloader" - bootscreen with metal GPU.
If you have a weekend to spare learning, are somewhat technically inclined, and can 'sacrifice' an internal hard drive (for experimentation/learning) - there is a software method to get boot screens on newer OS's on older Mac Pro's, with new GPU's.

...using something called a "bootloader", specifically: OpenCore - It's sort of software BEFORE the main software - it intercepts some geeky, under the hood, stuff and does some clever "plumbing", pre flight - before the operating system - OSX 10.14.5/Mojave etc - gets going.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/page-53?post=28255048#post-28255048

I can't provide you with support - its been years since I used "Clover" (progenitor of OpenCore bootloader) but there are plenty of others who can help in the links above.

Most of the community welcome newcomers, even is it seems technically daunting. And it is, at first. ?

Edited by 11Parsecs
Reverse entropy. Wouldn't the photons go backwards?

10 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Hi, My main reason to go from high Sierra to Mojave, is to keep it as up to date and it being totally usable for as long as possible, I have no interest in 4K, what is Opencore ? Thanks 

G'day DM.

Please see the post above this one for an overview of the "bootloader" - OpenCore.

Good luck 007, the world is depending on you. Again ?

I have a house full of old Macs.  A few are still on 10.6.8 because I still have old applications that need it. 

Another (7 years old) is on 10.8.5 and needs to be upgraded to 10.somethingnewer, since now a lot of web sites don't render properly with Firefox and Chrome and whatever of that age.  Gmail complains about the Mail client too.

I looked at app store but there is no upgrade listed there.  I seem to remember one a while ago.  Have I missed the boat on OSX upgrades.

[Haven't done it before since we have been on ADSL1 at speeds in the 1 - 2Mbps range ie would take days to download anything the size of an OSX upgrade.  Now trialing a 4G mobile modem so have sufficient throughput available.]

25 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I have a house full of old Macs. 

I looked at app store but there is no upgrade listed there.  I seem to remember one a while ago.  Have I missed the boat on OSX upgrades.

G'day.

Not impossible to get newer OS for your Mac,  you will have to jump through a few small hoops though.

If you go back to "page 2" of this thread, you'll see detailed instructions/methods on how to download older Mac OS's no longer available 'officially' from Apple's store (they are legit methods though).

Edited by 11Parsecs

Is it better to buy a MacBook Pro or iMac now with the intel core processors or to wait for the new line of computers with Apple M1 processors?

Of course boot camp will not be available with Apple M1 processor computers.

1 hour ago, MrRogers said:

Is it better to buy a MacBook Pro or iMac now with the intel core processors or to wait for the new line of computers with Apple M1 processors?

Of course boot camp will not be available with Apple M1 processor computers.

What do you use your Mac for, and do you NEED an upgrade right now?

For 99%: M1, hands down.

Unless:

• You need bootcamp now.
  • You have an older 'treasured' audio device, without a spare spdif input.

The M1 Mac Mini is a good all rounder, and decent 'value'. For an Apple product ?

There's plenty of videos across many disciplines illustrating the POWAH of the M1.

Here is a screen grab that acts as a good proxy for Apple optimised software, vs Intel:

802581093_M1performacewattage.thumb.png.880907a812835cf8f1dd5924c0893d8d.png

And, a technical deep dive on why the M1 is genuinely disruptive.

https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2

Edited by 11Parsecs
Geeky stuff

On 15/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, MrRogers said:

1: Mac will be used for photo and video.  
2: other for general use plus gaming (in PC mode).

1. Any M1 with Apple software, iphoto/finalcut.

2. The strongest GPU you can get for an Intel/bootcamp Mac - as a "CTO" (custom order, extra $750 AUD, just for the GPU) - is the Radeon Pro 5700xt, which has about 7.7 tflops of 'raw' performance, which is less "tflops" than an already 4 year old nVidia GTX 1080ti.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-5700-xt.c3662

If you play FPS, you'll be limited to 60fps on the built in monitor (possibly FPS more on a good "gaming" monitor plugged in via thunderbolt) and probably have to turn down some settings (including the resolution of your screen, to, say 1440 or even 1080p?)

If you play "open world" stuff, similar caveats apply.

To get a "feel" for what that would be like, put this in youtube search:

Radeon Pro 5700xt

Alongside your favourite games, there's a geek out there who's run the numbers for you.

This is what it'll cost you, minus 3rd party ram or ssd upgrades:
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

You could get a dedicated gaming PC with better performance for half.

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 3.33.34 pm.png

eGPU is a pain, and VERY expensive. It's fine for "compute", (if you really must?) not so for 'gaming'

Edited by 11Parsecs

On 08/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, 11Parsecs said:

Okey dokey. You'll have to manually export the mailboxes.

It's REALLY slow on the export.  Seriously slow. But it works. Eventually. (Turn on activity monitor).

Strongly suggest you plug in a usb powered drive (to the c2d mac) and make that the TARGET for you "mbox" folder export.

Otherwise you'll be exporting to the internal hard drive, (assuming there's enough space to double up the mail?) and then moving the export to the external hard drive with usb 2 speeds. Slow and slower.

Reference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+mail+export&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU861AU861&sxsrf=ALeKk00-Uq8kDVu8awYRjEasVOE6shqIkg:1607411656537&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVs66G673tAhUWxDgGHSvRD2oQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1271&bih=581

Thanks. did it today.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrRogers said:

I guess that means we'll be buying one Mac and one PC.

The Mac is easy,

If it was my money, buying a gaming focussed PC today, I'd base it around an RTX 3060ti - not for the Raytracing though - and a Ryzen 5 3600 (X, XT etc depending on budget and confidence with overclocking) or the equivalent Intel if on sale - with 16gb ram.

We have quite a few PC's here too (children/Fortnite:).

What do you play?

Edited by 11Parsecs

21 hours ago, MrRogers said:

It will be used for Microsoft Fight Simulator, Minecraft, Roblox and others. 

Looking over the prices of Intel, their CPU's have become more competitive-ish.

Although the "platform" - motherboard/cooler etc, tends to be a bit higher.

I bring up Intel, - if you're doing video editing in Premiere Pro, you can also use "quicksync" for additional rendering options. A 3060ti will rip through most GPU render enhanced options too.

And, if you ever get really fancy, you can do a hackintosh on the Intel (you can with AMD too, but that's a bit clunky by comparison). Obviously your Hackintosh would NOT be able to use the nVidia GPU - nVidia support topped out with the Pascal series of cards aka 1080ti/Titan Xp, and OSX 10.13.6.

But, you could still do the Hackintosh on Intel Graphics only.

There's a recent dedicated thread for gaming PC's in the technology section of this site with friendly, knowledgeable users.

On 15/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, 11Parsecs said:

G'day.

Not impossible to get newer OS for your Mac,  you will have to jump through a few small hoops though.

If you go back to "page 2" of this thread, you'll see detailed instructions/methods on how to download older Mac OS's no longer available 'officially' from Apple's store (they are legit methods though).

OK, thanks,

I have read a fair proportion of that and I think that I understand.

1.  obtain the OS installer

2.  create a bootable disk with the installer on it

3.  boot from newly created instal disk

4.  format original disk
 (can you install over the top or is it best to format)

5.  cross fingers that I'm not creating an expensive door-stop

6.  run installer

ie. same concepts as booting from a floppy disk back in the (g)olden days.

--------------------

some more Qs

0.  There is talk of USB sticks to do the install.  A spare USB hard disk (USB2 or 3 - not sure) would be just as good or better wouldn't it?

1.  Is there any reason why I should stop short of the latest 10.15 (Catalina?).  Would 10.12 or something be more sensible?  Is there a nice stable, well regarded version in the series.

2.  It may well install but will, say, 10.15 be usable on a iMac13,2 Late 2012 - ie snail speed/ lack of RAM etc

3.  Am I likely to make my other-party-applications (eg Office for Mac 2011) non functioning.  Don't want to spend money on upgrades and definitely don't want to buy/use versions that use clouds etc.

4.  Do you still get Apple versions of things like Numbers and Letters and ...... with these new OS'.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, aechmea said:

OK, thanks,

Would 10.12 or something be more sensible?  Is there a nice stable, well regarded version in the series.

2.  It may well install but will, say, 10.15 be usable on a iMac13,2 Late 2012 - ie snail speed/ lack of RAM etc

3.  Am I likely to make my other-party-applications (eg Office for Mac 2011

Your "13.2" iMac is solid, still in 2020 (and beyond). My MacPro 6.1 - that I'm writing on now - is basically the same, from an "under the hood/performance/chipset/architecture" POV* ?

Operating System "OS": 10.13.6 - High Sierra - is the best "way point" for forward/backward compatibility with least amount of issues.

All the other points you bring up are comprehensively covered, step-by-step on pages 1 and 2.

There's other friendly, knowledgeable, users here too, who you could reach out to as well. (They went down the same path).

If you want ultimate peace of mind, prior to any updates - particularly a COMPLETE REBUILD -  purchase a "pocket drive" and use this to make a CLONE:

https://bombich.com/download

Fast Drive

Slow Drive

I know a rebuild is scary, jumping off a cliff blind scary - but you can remove any risk by CLONING the Mac first - that's an easy to make, 100% duplicate of what you have now, which you can boot into at a moments notice. Especially if you get the FAST drive.

You can make as many 'mistakes' as necessary to learn at your own pace with a CLONE.

Strongly recommend you shell out extra for the FAST drive. Your iMac has USB-3 ports (plug at the back, its really fast), and you can recycle the pocket SSD drive for future projects.

Let me know how you go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Fellow geeks, we know Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge EP are basically the same ?

Edited by 11Parsecs
Now pay attention 007, I've had a long and arduous journey, and am in no mood for your adolescent quips.

On 04/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, John Doe said:

Unfortunately my current 13" MacBook Pro (2011) has a failed logic board.  Totally my fault, liquids and electronics don't mix. 

I agree with your point. I do not enjoy being a beta tester for manufacturers.

However, what makes me pause, purchasing a current Intel 13" 2020 MacBook Pro is the apparent shortcomings of the Intel chips which leads to imo, very poor thermal efficiency. 95 degree C running temperatures can surely only lead to reduced hardware life, and when a manufacturer chooses to throttle the chip as a cooling strategy, well, it makes me wonder.  

I was completely wrong on insisting to wait for V2 of "M1" Apple Silicon. If you don't need bootcamp, get the M1 Mac. Now. Any of them, they all perform the same (pretty much).

MS Office is now "M1" native. Dec 17th, 2020.

My preference is for the Air, the wedge shape is easier to type on, and it doesn't have the annoying touch bar.

Edited by 11Parsecs

On 20/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, MrRogers said:

Suggestion on a gaming Tablet? 

$280 AUD (As this was written on December 20th, their flash sales do expire)
Poco X3 NFC (Banggood link)

Poco Site

At a glance comparison

$230 AUD.
Edit - Without NFC and only 64gb onboard storage.

Comparison with Pixel 5 CPU, that's $1000 for 8% better performance (and 5G).

Edited by 11Parsecs