Macintosh OSX - 30 year consultant. Ask me anything.

10 minutes ago, peppy said:

@11Parsecs

Hey mate.

Since a few weeks now.

Every time I switch on my iMAC - I am able to browse the internet and run outlook, whatsapp, Tidal etc normally

But after few minutes all the apps stop responding as those apps are not connected to internet . BUT I can still browse internet via browsers etc normally. And my MAC is still connected to internet.

I saw somewhere, update and add new location in wifi and it will work, and it does. But unfortunately i have to do that everytime I switch on my MAC .

Can you help me resolve this , Any idea , solution ?

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 11.37.13 pm.png

Hi @peppy i had a similar problem a few weeks ago with all internet apps getting the spinning wheel and also difficulty with bluetooth accessing keyboard. I cannot remember if a software update preceded these problems. I have a similar specced but older 27" iMac with a little bit more RAM. I Initially tried logging out, then shutting down without resolving the issue. I then did a PRAM reset https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204063 (i do a couple of these) followed by an SMC reset https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201295. This seems to have sorted things out.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

That's where I ended up after the point of downloading the High Sierra installer failed. It never finished downloading so never proceeded past that point. As it failed at the same point twice, I assumed it was a thumb drive issue but @hiya has used the same 16gb thumb drive as me without issue.

First, did you actually move the app OUT of the installer, and INTO the Apps folder.

Forgive me if that seems like a silly question, but some people try to run an app FROM the dmg.

MOVE INTO APPS:

1394870417_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_30_28pm.png.63ee033981ae1c455fb985d78ed1b7e5.png

28579256_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_32_42pm.png.3db20fdc255b4326bb69d71fb815fb16.png

2006601427_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_33_09pm.png.687be25214c9a8875e5cd960a450d498.png

1033295079_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_33_48pm.png.fee9579b1ec9b8251f145b3d750b1c9b.png

NOT NOW!

That's the "patching" bit.

833751421_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_42_34pm.png.f38e9809d3d705df37ab0907087f19da.png

This is the full installer download, it MUST be in your Applications folder for Apple's "create install media" method to work.

1161735270_ScreenShot2020-08-19at10_44_13pm.png.65ccceae345bf9c238758d80aad54a88.png

1. The Apple way. create install media

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372

2. "Hiya" posted these:

https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/

3. Hiya#2:
https://diskmakerx.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiya said:

Hi @peppy i had a similar problem a few weeks ago with all internet apps getting the spinning wheel and also difficulty with bluetooth accessing keyboard. I cannot remember if a software update preceded these problems. I have a similar specced but older 27" iMac with a little bit more RAM. I Initially tried logging out, then shutting down without resolving the issue. I then did a PRAM reset https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204063 (i do a couple of these) followed by an SMC reset https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201295. This seems to have sorted things out.

thx will try

• 2 weeks later...

13 hours ago, peppy said:

No I couldn't resolve it

Did you reset the PRAM/SMC?

If not, then I would definitely try that .... contact Apple support if you can't do it, or don't know how.

Otherwise, I'd timemachine back to some era before the issue started, to see if that resolves it (although I suspect from your symptoms is not a software issue, or at least not 100% caused by software).

15 hours ago, hiya said:

@blybo and @peppy did you guys resolve your problems and if so can you tell us what worked

Yes I did resolve it. Decided to download the Catalina patcher instead and got the same thumb drive @11Parsecs suggested. That all worked fine and I was able to add a volume to my SSD. It's now in the classifieds for sale

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blybo said:

Yes I did resolve it. Decided to download the Catalina patcher instead and got the same thumb drive @11Parsecs suggested. That all worked fine and I was able to add a volume to my SSD. It's now in the classifieds for sale

Hey, its great you got the process (to install bootable USB) working.

However, I would STRONGLY advise you to (start again and) DOWNGRADE the system to High Sierra, 10.13.6.

The graphic card on that iMac is NOT 'natively' supported by Apple's graphic engine: Metal/Metal 2.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Scrool down to "know issues".

If it was for your own use, and you're curious or a thrill-seeker, run DosDude's 'hacked' Catalina.

But, if you're going to SELL it, expect an angry knock on the door in a few weeks.
-------------------

WE ARE ONLY USING DOSDUDE TO GET AN OLDER APPLE SYSTEM INSTALLER. (Which is now Unavailable from Apple's App Store.).

http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

NOT TO RUN HIS PATCHING TOOL.

Cheers.

p.s High Sierra has ALL of the iCloud services available to it that are in Catalina (with minimal differences), ALL the security patches, and it can run BOTH "32 bit: AND "64 bit" apps, so if your buyer wants to run an old copy of office 2011, they can - you'd be surprised how many people see no need to upgrade to Office 2016/2019.

They can also use the last version of creative suite (CS6, I think?) that was installed from "offline" media, and they can run Creative Cloud (subscription) too, with only a few 'esoteric' apps unable to run.

Put another way, High Sierra gives them greater flexibility, and will be less of a liability for you as a seller.

Edited by 11Parsecs
Clarity.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Honreekea said:

I have a Imac 5.1 running 10.6.8 and Intel Core 2 Duo with 3G Ram.  Is there a more uptpdate OSX I could run?

If the machine is a 17 or 20inch Late 2006 iMac with processors running at 2.0, 2.16 or 2.33GHz then Mac OSX 10.7 Lion is the limit. I am not sure if i would update your machine. I found 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to be a very stable OS

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hiya said:

If the machine is a 17 or 20inch Late 2006 iMac with processors running at 2.0, 2.16 or 2.33GHz then Mac OSX 10.7 Lion is the limit. I am not sure if i would update your machine. I found 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to be a very stable OS

That's what I read.  Just was hoping for a better experience with Firefox Browser as it hasn't been updated forever on this Imac.  thanks

Edited by Honreekea

I have another question for ya;  The wife has a 11" MacbookAir 3.1 from 2009. A 1.4Ghz Intel core 2 Duo with 4G Ram running 10.9.5 with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M card. 

This little thing screams along for her. But I've been wondering is there are more up to date OSX which would be better for long run (she doesn't want upgrade)?

(An aside:  The battery has had 920 cycles and is at 84% capacity)....wow.

thanks

3 minutes ago, hiya said:

Yes from memory browser support has long stopped for this OS. I think Opera and Chrome were also options with Safari and I remember this development (Arctic Fox) but never tried it. It may be an option https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

ok...I'll check it out.  thanks

5 minutes ago, Honreekea said:

I have another question for ya;  The wife has a 11" MacbookAir 3.1 from 2009. A 1.4Ghz Intel core 2 Duo with 4G Ram running 10.9.5 with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M card. 

This little thing screams along for her. But I've been wondering is there are more up to date OSX which would be better for long run (she doesn't want upgrade)?

(An aside:  The battery has had 920 cycles and is at 84% capacity)....wow.

thanks

"(she doesn't want upgrade)?" - I don't think she is giving you a subliminal message, remember HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE!

These are good machines i think i may have had one running High Sierra 10.13 but performance wasn't great.

With older machines and OS software upgrades i think the best strategy is to look at the cost benefit vs time spent with what gains you may get from the new software eg 32 vs 64 bit app performance, new features, security updates etc vs potential problems after update with machine slowing down, peripherals requiring reconfiguration or changing drivers etc.

The adage "if it works don't fix it" can be your best friend particularly if you have a machine that is doing everything (mostly) you want efficiently and comfortably. At some point upgrading to a new machine with the latest OS is the best way to ensure smooth performance with all the latest software, security and hardware features.

48 minutes ago, hiya said:

"(she doesn't want upgrade)?" - I don't think she is giving you a subliminal message, remember HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE!

These are good machines i think i may have had one running High Sierra 10.13 but performance wasn't great.

With older machines and OS software upgrades i think the best strategy is to look at the cost benefit vs time spent with what gains you may get from the new software eg 32 vs 64 bit app performance, new features, security updates etc vs potential problems after update with machine slowing down, peripherals requiring reconfiguration or changing drivers etc.

The adage "if it works don't fix it" can be your best friend particularly if you have a machine that is doing everything (mostly) you want efficiently and comfortably. At some point upgrading to a new machine with the latest OS is the best way to ensure smooth performance with all the latest software, security and hardware features.

I hear you.  I'll resist the temptation to meddle with her machine.

thanks for your considered response!

@11Parsecs

I've downloaded the High Sierra OS to my downloads folder of my current machine and tried using the patcher to create the bootable thumbdrive and get this

image.png.074ca14fab0003434cd339089ed74328.png

The Catalina one worked without a hiccup but this High Sierra one keeps throwing curve balls.

sorry to be a pain @11Parsecs  and thanks for all your help.

I've reformatted my thumbdrive. My High Sierra download is in my laptops downloads location and my thumbdrive is called Samsung USB. Terminal scares the hell out of me. Am I adjusting the code correctly from

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

to

sudo /Downloads/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Samsung USB

To create my bootable installer?

1 minute ago, blybo said:

sorry to be a pain @11Parsecs  and thanks for all your help.

I've reformatted my thumbdrive. My High Sierra download is in my laptops downloads location and my thumbdrive is called Samsung USB. Terminal scares the hell out of me. Am I adjusting the code correctly from

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

to

sudo /Downloads/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Samsung USB

To create my bootable installer?

Yes, you just copy and paste the command: (into terminal)

Your USB stick HAS to be named "MyVolume"

And the High Sierra download HAS to be in your Applications folder.

8 minutes ago, 11Parsecs said:

Yes, you just copy and paste the command: (into terminal)

Your USB stick HAS to be named "MyVolume"

And the High Sierra download HAS to be in your Applications folder.

Awesome. Thanks, I now have a bootable High Sierra installer.

• Like 1