Jump to content

New HT/Lounge room


Recommended Posts

I've just moved into a new house (somewhat unwanted, divorce etc) and now I have a large space to fill.

 

8m by 5.5m by 2.7m, screen is on the 5.5m wall. Would like to eventually get a projector but a 65" tv will have to do for now. Also there is no carpet but hope to change that sooner rather than later.

 

I'm guessing I am going to need quite a bit of power for this room. Currently have an oldish Yamaha, which is quite outdated and needs replacing. Looking to upgrade to Marantz or NAD. Currently 5.1 looking to go 5.1.4 with 5 channel amp.  HT 70% music 30%

 

For immediate upgrade is the receiver. I really liked the NAD but now thinking Marantz. SR5013 is available for a good price  new atm, but will it work with 5 channel amp powering front lcr and rear surround leaving the receiver to power 4 height channels?

 

5 channel amp I'm hoping to pick up s/h being Elektra, Emotiva or similar, don't really have any preference here.

 

I'm fine for speakers but don't have heights as yet.

 

Suggestions welcome please.

20200426_145039.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick update, got carpet today in lounge so everything had to come out, slowly getting it back in. Got air con now aand wood heater, rendered fireplace. It's all coming together, doubt I'll get surrou

Update.   I have located and purchased a matching centre speaker, just waiting for delivery for quite a good price.  LCR now matches. Rears will probably stay the floor standing ALR tow

Another update. Might be it for a while.

nope.. you need a avr that can process 9 channels for your 5.1.4. the 5013 only has 7 preouts/process 7 channels. that is an entry level so need to go higher up the chain.

 

excel hifi have yammy refurbs that pop up now and then at good pricing. the top 2 yammy avr's can process 9 channels. 20** and 30** models.

 

denon have the 3500/3600 with enough pre outs.. the 2500/2600 or below wont do it.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou for that, I knew it was 7 amp channels but the processing I didn't know. 

 

My preference is to not go Yamaha this time. I'll keep looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes not a yammy user here either. just for the money refurbs of yammy 2080/85 3085/80 will befound for $1500 - $1800. sometimes too good to pass up.

 

for me the best mid avr with top line features is the denon avr x3600 recently around the $1800 mark. but you might find marantz run outs or 2nd hand, just need to constantly look.

Link to post
Share on other sites


In you room with 1 sofa 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 is more than enough, especially if you get some good quality speakers with 6.5" drivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Irek said:

In you room with 1 sofa 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 is more than enough, especially if you get some good quality speakers with 6.5" drivers. 

Would save a buch of money as well.

My fronts are very capable.

 

Going 5.1.2 would mean I could get the 5013, later add power amp, let 5013 power heights.

 

Tempting, tbh I thought with room size 4 Heights would be preferable. 

 

 

Edited by SGS
Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved into a similar sized room about a year ago with similar flooring. Instead of replacing with carpet I just bought a few black rugs from Harvey Norman. So much less destruction, cost and time spent than replacing with carpet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SGS said:

Would save a buch of money as well.

My fronts are very capable.

 

Going 5.1.2 would mean I could get the 5013, later add power amp, let 5013 power heights.

 

Tempting, tbh I thought with room size 4 Heights would be preferable. 

 

 

quality over quantity. Not really saving money, more like redirecting. 2 subs  are better than 1. Also getting 2 speakers for the price of 4 will give you more capable ones.  

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Moderators
20 hours ago, SGS said:

Would save a buch of money as well.

My fronts are very capable.

 

Going 5.1.2 would mean I could get the 5013, later add power amp, let 5013 power heights.

 

Tempting, tbh I thought with room size 4 Heights would be preferable. 

 

 

its a huge room really 8 x 5.5 just depends how plan to use it ...just a section of it with depth of 5.5m or full length ?  or depth of 8m. how you plan to use the room will greatly determine what can achieve and end results.

 

suggest sitting at 2/3rd room depth for best audio (not sitting middle of the room or down the back). and using the 5.5 depth is fine for 7.1.4 no probs with 4 in ceilings. the larger the depth the greater the sized screen would need.  can sit 3.6m if using the 5.5m depth... even at this viewing distance would need something in order of a 120" screen which is probably largest id suggest otherwise starts getting harder to get a projector that can light up the screen especially for HDR with 4k. sitting at 3.6m also allows sufficient room for side and rear surrounds and in ceilings with enough room for them to all breath and work together and not being too far away or on top of each other....

 

if using the 8m depth for instance would sit at 5.3m ... needing then a screen that's 180" and that would be very difficult to light up with most consumer projectors to do any sort of justice...

 

so yes really comes back to what planning to achieve. decide what that is ... then slowly work towards it... ie setup now so makes the projector step down the track easier... and can keep you 65" and just use a motorised screen that's much larger to drop down for larger screen viewing...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that room really 5.5m wide - doesn't look like it in the photo. Can you post a floorplan  - even just a rough scribble showing walls, windows, doors and measurements.

 

My initial thoughts are to put the TV/projector on the long wall - that way you can get your surrounds further away from you - that is the biggest downside to my 6.25 x 4.3 x 2.7 dedicated theatre :(

And from my testing 5.x.4 is the sweet spot for cost vs result. 7.x.4 adds maybe 5-10% benefit as it is more of an ambience filler rather than distinct sounds.

I found 5 identical speakers is a fairly significant improvement also. It makes the entire sound field around you seamless and adds about 40-50% improvement IMO.

I just finished trying 7.x.4 with centre, surrounds and rear surrounds identical and L&R running bigger and different brand (but similar style - all PA speakers) and when I dropped back to 5.x.4 with all 5 identical it was a definite 40-50% improvement over the 7.x.4

You can really only do 5 identical with a projector and the centre behind an Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen. though :(

At the very least get a matching set of 5 speakers.

And surprisingly I found 5.x.2 to be pretty bloody good if that is all you can afford - but .4 adds a good 80-100% improvement in height sounds over .2

If you go .2 you can get away woth down firing in-ceiling speakers but if you go to .4 you need more expensive angled in-ceilings or you can juts run 4 small bookshel speakers mounted on-ceiling or on the wall at the ceiling/wall junction. Mounting on the wall would also work best with the screen on the long wall.

And don't get too caught up with getting all the angles and heights etc completely correct. A wiser man than me once said " Any Atmos / Surround sound is better than No Atmos / Surround sound" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick post for now with image, 5.2 wide not 5.5, oops.

I am considering deleting door to kitchen. TV currently  on north wall. 

Screenshot_20200409-111406_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

With that layout I would leave the TV where it is.

As suggested put the seats at 1/3 room length (2.66m from tv wall)

See drawing for 5.x.2 layout (with .4 shown also) - you will have to experiment and calculate to get the exact speaker positions.

I would leave the opening to the kitchen - otherwise the missus (or partner in these politically correct times) will have to walk too far to bring you your beer (or drink of choice). 😉

Random theatre 1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites


my concern would be "projector"

 

you may need to take into consideration future use of a pj when doing your atmos set up. possibly lay cables etc in preparation but more than likely you wont be sitting 2.6m from a 120" pj screen.

 

so maybe just use 5.1 for now with the rest ready when final decision made.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

my concern would be "projector"

 

you may need to take into consideration future use of a pj when doing your atmos set up. possibly lay cables etc in preparation but more than likely you wont be sitting 2.6m from a 120" pj screen.

 

so maybe just use 5.1 for now with the rest ready when final decision made.

years ago now, but when going from TV to adding projector ... nothing in my setup (speaker arrangement or seating) needed to change.... just added projector and screen drops down to take advantage of larger screen experience....

 

for the bed speakers 5.1-7.1 I'd go floor standing or standmounts.... this removes reliance on walls or wall mounting of surrounds...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou all for input so far.

 

A little history of setup if I may indulge, cringe if you wish and I'm skipping first setup.

 

Amp is Yamaha RXV 650, probably 15 years old at a guess. Has to go.

First speaker setup was ALR Jordan entry L. Tower fronts, centre and bookshelf

rears.

 

The Jordan towers I hated for music and subsequently never listened to music.

 

I always wanted an Energy RC setup but couldn't afford it then.

Later purchased pair of Energy RC50 tower fronts, centre the same front Jordan speakers now surround duties. PS, I absolutely love the fronts.

 

I like my music again, hooray. I later purchased a Music Hall turntable but as amp had no phono input I stumbled around how to setup. At first I used a preamp from Cord. Later switching to a seperate amp I've had a long time, 30 years or more. Technics integrated SU70 iirc. New class A which is actually class AB. Ran seperate leads to speakers with banana plugs which I swapped over as req.

For a while I had the technis amp powering the fronts, but not now.

 

I know its mismatched, but honestly I like the sound, I am toying with idea of Energy centre. Purchsed an RC LCR from these forums only to find one of the mid range speakers  was dead. On ebay there is an RC Mini available which I might get still.

 

Sub is Richter Thor mk2 with mk3 internals. Getting another the same not possible. 

 

My priority for now is a new receiver and Atmos, son and I love our movie nights.

 

Can get an sr5013 for 1400 new, don't want Yamaha for YPAO. Looking second hand here and havnt found anything yet.

Preference is 5.1.4 but could easily settle for 5.1.2. Perhaps replace centre, perhaps replace sub with 2 the same. 5 channel seperate amp also. Lastly projector.

 

I don't have a massive budget but getting Atmos is a priority. 

I also like the NAD amps, was very tempted by the 778 but its expensive and seems to miss critical options. Though cheaper receiver and separate amp is better option.

 

Thanks for image Niterida, about what I was thinking, but no wife to worry about and kitchen needs that corner for when I upgrade it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I'm planning to move tv and front speakers away from wall, perhaps entertainment unit 2 foot out with speakers set to match the front space.

 

Just seen youtube vids stating moving the out further improved things,   Steve Gutteburg iirc

Link to post
Share on other sites


Sounds like you are on the right track.

For now I would invest in a 9 channel receiver and keep a look out on Gumtree / eBay for a matching Energy centre and 4 small Energy bookshelf speakers and ceiling mount them for Atmos.

That will give a you a decent 5.1.4 for not too much initial outlay and then you can upgrade the surrounds and add a second sub later as funds and/or secondhand items become available.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on the hunt, to limit cost a bit I have found an SR6013 for a little over 2K.

 

Think I should avoid 7 channel like the 5013 5014 nad 258 777

 

From my understanding reading here going 6013 over 6014 won't miss out on anything much at all and saving near 1K

 

I then have the option of 5.1.2 and 5.1.4, can also add second sub should I desire. Or projector later. I will probably add a 5 channel amp at some stage but the 6013 should be somewhat adequate for starters. Wait and see.

 

With speaker placements I'll add 2 positioned for a .4 setup being the forward pair, allowing addition later if I want.

 

Sound like a solid plan?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, look to upgrade centre to match fronts.

 

Due to lack of funds at a point i missed a package on Facebook marketplace

RC30 pair

RC LCR

RC Mini bookshelf

 

Was only 5 or 600 hundred. Was sorely tempted but funds were low then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SGS said:

Been on the hunt, to limit cost a bit I have found an SR6013 for a little over 2K.

 

Think I should avoid 7 channel like the 5013 5014 nad 258 777

 

From my understanding reading here going 6013 over 6014 won't miss out on anything much at all and saving near 1K

 

I then have the option of 5.1.2 and 5.1.4, can also add second sub should I desire. Or projector later. I will probably add a 5 channel amp at some stage but the 6013 should be somewhat adequate for starters. Wait and see.

 

With speaker placements I'll add 2 positioned for a .4 setup being the forward pair, allowing addition later if I want.

 

Sound like a solid plan?

Yes get a 9 channel AVR - stick with 5.x.4 in your room - there isn't really anywhere to put the 2 rear surrounds except way back near the fireplace and then I doubt you would even notice they were there. I can only just tell my rear surrounds are active even switching between 5 and 7 while listening for it it is hard tot ell the difference and my room is pretty much spot-on for angles, distances etc.

Don't worry about any amps - the AVR will be more than enough. You will only tell the difference if you listen at really, really high volumes. I added a Rtoel 5 channel amp at 100wpc RMS to my Yamaha RX-A3040 (maybe 70wpc RMS) and I didn't notice any improvement until I was nearly at 0MV.

I would plan to go .4 from the start - save money elsewhere to get the 4 and do it now. Spend money on other things later.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

I'd suggest as you are now, steer towards using surrounds as floor standers as doing now... or run stand mounts on stands.... having some surrounds so far away or oddly placed on walls where shouldn't be can stay away from. 

 

do consider what posted earlier re heights and seating for projector. something to consider... as viewing distance to 65" is likely different to larger projector screen. unless planning to re run/re position heights which would be an absolutely PITA ! 

 

I would personally err away from a 9channel AVR.... these try cram channels in same chasis. instead go with less that can take additional changes via external amp.... something like an elektra 7ch would be a good step up from most avrs in dynamics, clarity regardless of volume level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Left field suggestion... ATMOS would be at the bottom of my priorities.

 

I have a dedicated bat cave with 130 scope screen, X7000 JVC projector, decent quality 7.2 set up with processor and 7ch power amp. I've had several members here over for gtg's over the years and maybe they are too polite, but I've never heard a criticism of the set up, even constructive criticism. I just don't think the added complexity and cost of ATMOS is worth it, especially if trying to get it with a limited budget when your 5.1 setup and visuals could be improved first.

 

I would concentrate on getting the 5.1 or 5.2 right, including room treatments, even if DIY. It looks like a potential echo chamber with hard surfaces everywhere but a good blank canvas to work with. Will sound isolation be a concern? At least bedrooms are down the other end of the house.

 

Preferably save for matching speakers all round (at least from the same series) and get 1 or 2 subs working well in the room. 2 subs don't give more bass per se, but can tame room nodes (only if required) for more even output. I'd also suggest to save money, only your L&R need to floorstanders for your 2ch music. When using for movies, standmounts are fine as they'll most likely be crossed over with the subs at 80hz anyway. As my room is for movies/TV only, I sold off my large floor standers and replaced them with stand mounts of the same range. This allowed more money for the 2nd sub which I needed as 1 side of the room got more bass regardless of where I tried to position a single sub.

 

Sorry to hear of the divorce

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reason for Atmos is there are a few movies that benefit from it that we both like. Plus its something I've wanted for some time. I need a new receiver regardless so that is my first purchase and it needs to be capable of all other updates. Projector would be last on my list, which I'm not even sure will happen.

I haven't even set my 650 up as yet.

 

Room upgrades will happen, firstly carpet and perhaps drapes then reasess how  room sounds. Add a power amp as well maybe.

 

2 subs is down the track a bit as well, not rich but have some funds for it.

 

Capable receiver first, Atmos and carpet. I expect room at present wiil be echoey and maybe  harsh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SGS said:

Reason for Atmos is there are a few movies that benefit from it that we both like

I have heard/seen many of these demo movies at things like the SNA show with $500k + ATMOS systems in large as well as small rooms. Also at other members homes with systems that leave mine for dead. I still believe the jump from a well implemented 7.X to ATMOS is only moderate at best, for a massive increase in budget required to do it properly. I'd probably need 6-7k to make the jump to ATMOS from 7.2 and do it properly, so for me it remains a pipe dream whilst my existing system gives us plenty of bang for buck.

 

I understand the desire for ATMOS, but just think when on a budget, that a compromised ATMOS system will be out performed by a well thought out 7.1 system of the same cost. By all means keep ATMOS in mind when choosing an AVR though.

 

I see it a bit like guys who hot up their cars with engine mods and big exhaust, without worrying about brakes and suspension because they didn't have the budget. Get the fundamentals right first, before taking the next step.

 

I wouldn't even budget for a 2nd sub. Get your 5/7.1 right first and then see if you are having any in room issues. Keeping seating either 1/3 or 2/3rd from the screen will help to avoid likely room nodes, and you might find you don't need a 2nd sub. I don't in my family room, but do in my HT, but just remember a 2nd sub will not necessarily give MORE bass, just better and smoother bass in multiple seating positions if your room needs it. Again choose an AVR with the possibility that a 2nd sub might be required, just don't assume you will need 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, blybo said:

I have heard/seen many of these demo movies at things like the SNA show with $500k + ATMOS systems in large as well as small rooms. Also at other members homes with systems that leave mine for dead. I still believe the jump from a well implemented 7.X to ATMOS is only moderate at best, for a massive increase in budget required to do it properly. I'd probably need 6-7k to make the jump to ATMOS from 7.2 and do it properly, so for me it remains a pipe dream whilst my existing system gives us plenty of bang for buck.

 

I understand the desire for ATMOS, but just think when on a budget, that a compromised ATMOS system will be out performed by a well thought out 7.1 system of the same cost. By all means keep ATMOS in mind when choosing an AVR though.

 

I see it a bit like guys who hot up their cars with engine mods and big exhaust, without worrying about brakes and suspension because they didn't have the budget. Get the fundamentals right first, before taking the next step.

 

I wouldn't even budget for a 2nd sub. Get your 5/7.1 right first and then see if you are having any in room issues. Keeping seating either 1/3 or 2/3rd from the screen will help to avoid likely room nodes, and you might find you don't need a 2nd sub. I don't in my family room, but do in my HT, but just remember a 2nd sub will not necessarily give MORE bass, just better and smoother bass in multiple seating positions if your room needs it. Again choose an AVR with the possibility that a 2nd sub might be required, just don't assume you will need 1.

A 5.1.4 Atmos system in his room will cost an extra few hundred for 4 bookshelf speakers and an extra few hundred for a 9 channel Atmos AVR and it will be far superior to a 7.1 system IMO. And my opinion is based on experimenting in my room with 5 and 7 base level speakers and 0,2, 4, 6 and 7 Atmos speakers and I have settled on 5.x.4 as the best compromise on cost vs performance.

Watch A Quiet Place and tell me it is not worth it when you have a monster IN YOUR ATTIC. Yes it really sounded like he was walking on my ceiling and was in the roof space. Very realistic and worth the price of admission :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, niterida said:

A 5.1.4 Atmos system in his room will cost an extra few hundred for 4 bookshelf speakers and an extra few hundred for a 9 channel Atmos AVR and it will be far superior to a 7.1 system IMO. And my opinion is based on experimenting in my room with 5 and 7 base level speakers and 0,2, 4, 6 and 7 Atmos speakers and I have settled on 5.x.4 as the best compromise on cost vs performance.

Watch A Quiet Place and tell me it is not worth it when you have a monster IN YOUR ATTIC. Yes it really sounded like he was walking on my ceiling and was in the roof space. Very realistic and worth the price of admission :)

I have not seen that particular movie but believe me, ATMOS is not required to have sounds above you.

 

Put that same ATMOS budget into improving what you have and you might be surprised. Timbre matching of all speakers is very important to the believability of a soundscape. Otherwise the speakers draw undue attention to themselves rather than the movie. Believe me, I've been there, as I've slowly built my 7.2 system as funds allowed over many years and could only afford the LCR of my current speakers originally.

 

I'd still prefer a quality 5.1 over a cheap ATMOS set up, but if you've got your heart set on it, I wish you well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He already has good LCR and budget for good AVR.

Atmos speakers don't need to be as good. obviously the better and more matched to the LCR they are, the better it will sound.

Even with a cheap 2nd hand set of Energy satellites for heights will give him an excellent Atmos setup. And it will be more immersive than a 5.1 for sure.

7.1 is not easily doable in his room so he only needs to replace the pair of surrounds to match his fronts and then he will have a killer setup.

And on top of all that he WANTS Atmos ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

New Nad receivers come with Dirac Live so well worth a look.

 

Regards Cazzesman 

Cheapest is $2500 for a T758v3 plus he will need a 2 channel amp to go .4

Probably worth it if the budget allowed.

Edited by niterida
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, niterida said:

He already has good LCR and budget for good AVR.

Atmos speakers don't need to be as good. obviously the better and more matched to the LCR they are, the better it will sound.

Even with a cheap 2nd hand set of Energy satellites for heights will give him an excellent Atmos setup. And it will be more immersive than a 5.1 for sure.

7.1 is not easily doable in his room so he only needs to replace the pair of surrounds to match his fronts and then he will have a killer setup.

And on top of all that he WANTS Atmos ;)

Yeah but ideally he needs to upgrade his rear surrounds as well. Aren't they Jensen? His centre doesn't match the L&R from memory either and it's the most critical speaker in HT.

 

Anyway, I'm out. Clearly my approach of slowly slowly doing this correctly as budget allows isn't relevant in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, blybo said:

Yeah but ideally he needs to upgrade his rear surrounds as well. Aren't they Jensen? His centre doesn't match the L&R from memory either and it's the most critical speaker in HT.

 

Anyway, I'm out. Clearly my approach of slowly slowly doing this correctly as budget allows isn't relevant in this case.

Just because I am giving a different view doesn't mean you have to bail.

yes a good matched system is important

I think he has found or intends to find a matching centre.

Upgrade surrounds or add Atmos is going to cost about the same (2 matching Energy vs 4 lesser ones) since he is already planning on buying Atmos AVR.

So the choice is surrounds (which he already has some) or Atmos (of which he has none). So if he goes for new surrounds he has 5.1 and NO Atmos, or if he goes Atmos he has Atmos but crappy surrounds but at least he has Atmos and can upgrade surrounds easily as funds allow.

And a wiser man than me (on another forum) said "Any Atmos is better than No Atmos"

And the OP wants Atmos .......................

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, niterida said:

So the choice is surrounds (which he already has some) or Atmos (of which he has none). So if he goes for new surrounds he has 5.1 and NO Atmos, or if he goes Atmos he has Atmos but crappy surrounds but at least he has Atmos and can upgrade surrounds easily as funds allow.

he still doesn't have amplification for heights from an AVR, so again ATMOS will cost more at a lower quality than concentrating on the 5.1 sorted first.

 

1 hour ago, niterida said:

And a wiser man than me (on another forum) said "Any Atmos is better than No Atmos"

And another said patience is a virtue.

 

I've had a dedicated HT room for 8 years, the last upgrade was JVC X7000 and side Focal 800SR dipoles in late 2016. I've thought about ATMOS many times since, but every time I hear it demo'ed I think to myself, "is that really any better than I've already got?" The answer is "slightly", but not at the $6-7k investment it would cost to do at the same level as the rest of my set up. As I have 2 rows of seating I'd need 4 heights and another Elektra amp and buying a 7 ch makes more sense than getting a custom 4 ch made for resale down the track. Always have to consider future upgrades and resale in the world of HT.

Edited by blybo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Each to his own and I agree to an extent with both the above views.

That said I'd have to say I have a 5.1.2 system and the Atmos certainly adds to the overall immersion of the sound field (IMO I'd rate it better than a 7.1 but this is subjective as all setups and rooms differ)

I'd have to also agree just go for the one sub properly placed (at least initially) and add that speakers don't have to be the same brand but matching to a degree (fronts and centre more so)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

yes each to own. 

 

ive moved from 5.1 to 7.1 to 7.1.5 over the years...incorporated even a projector over years ...something in itself would never have imagined... let alone all the speakers ! hehe

 

Id certainly encourage to do whats possible. I've certainly no regrets ... and if pace self as mentioned in earlier post... with end goal in mind ... slowly as budget time and space allows... can have it all (within affordability) :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.

 

I have located and purchased a matching centre speaker, just waiting for delivery for quite a good price.  LCR now matches.

Rears will probably stay the floor standing ALR towers. They have a similar sound.

 

Put a deposit on a Marantz SR6013 which I'll collect this weekend. It is new but discounted as its a previous model now. Almost $1000 cheaper than the current 6014.

 

The 6013 has 9 channels and reasonable power output. I wanted Marantz for Audessy or NAD for Dirac but with the NAD I either had to spend 4k On 777 plus amp or 5k On 778. 758 has only 1 HDMI out. I do like the NAD's but budget.

 

I'm going to setup the 5.1 once I have the 2 purchases and see how it goes. Atmos will probably get added .4 I'll be cabling myself with most likely Ugly cable on a roll from Selby and banana plates behind amp.

Haven't decided on which heights yet but will be looking for enclosed units for the debri factor. Polk from Selby is the front runner atm.

 

That will be it for a while, bathroom and ensuite reno time.

 

Chatting with amp supplier he agrees 2 subs is a fine addition but good subs aren't cheap. I love LOTR so subs capable of going low is a must. Subs will have to wait. For now I'll have to stick with my Rickter Thor mk 2/3.

Edit, side note. My fronts are rated to 34Hz and have had them setup as large so subs going to only say 35 I feel are kinda pointless. I could be way wrong here.

 

First possible upgrade is power amp for this I'll be looking S/H hopefully Elektra or similar or a new Emotiva 5175. Amp supplier has the 5175 on special atm $1479

 

Also projector and screen is another possible upgrade. I have little knowledge of projectors so that may well be another thread.

 

But before these it will be carpet, repainting, window treatment and perhaps other means to improve acoustics.

However, room is also the lounge room so first and foremost it has to do that well.

 

Budget wise on the Atmos .4 i hope for about 1k

 

All speakers will be setup as close as possible to THX guidelines, though right surround is limited in position due to the 2 openings on that side. Due to large brick fireplace on rear wall rears won't be included.

 

I get people have different thoughts on what is best going forward but I think what I'm doing is a solid plan for me and my budget. So far I have spent on what is needed though the centre speaker is somewhat a concession to others opinion, I quite liked it but it does have a lower than wanted power handling. So I'm happy with doing that. I do appreciate the time people have taken giving their advice 👍 It has all been considered.

 

Next week I should have quite a good 5.1 then sometime 5.1.4.

Edited by SGS
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been checking out ceiling speakers and came across these

 

Yamaha 8" 140W Ceiling Speakers Packaged as Pair 1" Swivel Tweeter - (NSIC800)

 

Any thoughts on them? Certainly good value for money, enclosed, good range and power handling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You still want to set your speakers to Small and cross over to 80hz - let your sub do all the heavy lifting and free your speakers to perform better by not having to dig deep. (Yes they are the correct technical terms - not!!)

You really won't need an external amp unless you really start pushing the volume close to 0MV - I did an experiment yesterday and removed my Rotel amp and ran my 5.x.4 system completely from my Yamaha AVR and I couldn't tell one bit of difference until about -5MV and trust me -5 is pretty loud.

Those Yamaha in-ceilings are down firing - have a look at the difference between down-firing and angled (in-ceiling or on-ceiling bookshelf) in my drawing.

You can see the downfiring speakers put you off-axis from EVERY speaker while 30deg angled speakers with just  60 deg dispersion (good speakers will have 90deg or more) puts you on-axis to every speaker. Note the angled speakers are not toed-in on my drawing - toeing them in (rotating and angled in-ceiling does the same) will put EVERY seat on-axis to EVERY speaker.

And from what I have read, a swivel tweeter is more of a gimmick as moving it affects the tonal quality  and you are still off-axis to the mid-range driver. Maybe effective if you are only moving it a few deg but you will likely need to move it a lot.

 

in vs on.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, niterida said:

You still want to set your speakers to Small and cross over to 80hz - let your sub do all the heavy lifting and free your speakers to perform better by not having to dig deep. (Yes they are the correct technical terms - not!!)

You really won't need an external amp unless you really start pushing the volume close to 0MV - I did an experiment yesterday and removed my Rotel amp and ran my 5.x.4 system completely from my Yamaha AVR and I couldn't tell one bit of difference until about -5MV and trust me -5 is pretty loud.

Those Yamaha in-ceilings are down firing - have a look at the difference between down-firing and angled (in-ceiling or on-ceiling bookshelf) in my drawing.

You can see the downfiring speakers put you off-axis from EVERY speaker while 30deg angled speakers with just  60 deg dispersion (good speakers will have 90deg or more) puts you on-axis to every speaker. Note the angled speakers are not toed-in on my drawing - toeing them in (rotating and angled in-ceiling does the same) will put EVERY seat on-axis to EVERY speaker.

And from what I have read, a swivel tweeter is more of a gimmick as moving it affects the tonal quality  and you are still off-axis to the mid-range driver. Maybe effective if you are only moving it a few deg but you will likely need to move it a lot.

 

in vs on.jpg

I like to push but to a limit, with the old amp I have gone -5 on rare occasions but it is a totally different amp with less power. If the 6013 meets my needs then I'll leave it at that.

 

Very interesting point about the height speakers that I had not considered.

Say I got 4 angled speakers I assume they would all be pointed to the central seat?

 

I'm going to keep looking, as its a relatively large room with big distances between speakers, angles could be criticle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...