NAD M5 SACD servo board pics needed (or even info)

I am working on this NAD M5 SACD player which looks very competent inside.

Sadly it does not read CDs and spins TT motor at high speed.

After replacing the laser mechanism that I happened to have had in stock, and the player still doing the same thing, I began my investigations by carefully looking at the servo board.

And have found 3 transistors and two associated resistors missing. By missing, I mean them having been removed with traces of flux still present on otherwise a clean board.

Does anyone has NAD M5 and could lift the lid and take some pics or even tell me if Q1 , Q2, Q3 and R26 and R24 are there?

R26 is next to Q1 and R24 is next to Q3 but these last two are on underside of the board. 

You do not need to remove the board because we can safely assume that it will be all of them there or none.

Cheers

Roman

2059571358_Missing(removed)transistorsQ1Q2.thumb.jpg.377c93319dc8ec1c6c007f86e306321a.jpg

1670375980_Missing(removed)transistorQ3.thumb.jpg.75c6a4c7b394aa661dc974a572b52e76.jpg

Thanks Decky,

I already have the manual.

The diagram does not list Q3, while of the Q1 & Q2 pulls bunch of lines up on some IC and the other provides the power to CCTs but can be by-passed as an alternative (which looks like it has been implemented).

What I find puzzling is that I have seen partly populated boards plenty of times but never a board from factory that has some components soldered and then removed.

• 5 weeks later...

rock eater how did you go with this ? i had this and for some years... and then one channel XLR only dropped level... turned out need an expensive board replaced.... then the lacker band that ran the transport gave out ... that was an expensive fix as well. these dont really have a great track record in ownership i have to say..based on my experience...

hope you get sorted... but i suspect they have had a troubled past... I was told by the same tech when i popped by with something else asking if i still had the nad... no i said and thank goodness was the response as apparently they are no longer supported either ! 

ive been trying to see if i had a popped lid under hood photos of the innards but sadly no... not that can find anyways ....

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

rock eater how did you go with this ?

No, it is sitting on my "to do" shelf ?

i had this and for some years... and then one channel XLR only dropped level... turned out need an expensive board replaced....

This should not be that bad.

The level drop would suggest if is after the DAC, in audio amp section. Whereas it is a modern unit with surface mount components, it should be fixable on component level.

these dont really have a great track record in ownership i have to say..based on my experience...

Sadly, yes, it appears so.

But it looks a great player on paper and I am keen to get it going... one day.

as apparently they are no longer supported either ! 

I had a couple emails from them and they said these missing components should be in place. But... the company was sold and probably no one who worked there at the time of manufacture is no longer there so it is probable impossible to check, unless another owner comes forward.

Thanks for trying and having a look in your archives.

R

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2020 at 3:47 AM, rockeater said:

I am working on this NAD M5 SACD player which looks very competent inside.

Sadly it does not read CDs and spins TT motor at high speed.

After replacing the laser mechanism that I happened to have had in stock, and the player still doing the same thing, I began my investigations by carefully looking at the servo board.

And have found 3 transistors and two associated resistors missing. By missing, I mean them having been removed with traces of flux still present on otherwise a clean board.

Does anyone has NAD M5 and could lift the lid and take some pics or even tell me if Q1 , Q2, Q3 and R26 and R24 are there?

R26 is next to Q1 and R24 is next to Q3 but these last two are on underside of the board. 

You do not need to remove the board because we can safely assume that it will be all of them there or none.

Cheers

Roman

2059571358_Missing(removed)transistorsQ1Q2.thumb.jpg.377c93319dc8ec1c6c007f86e306321a.jpg

1670375980_Missing(removed)transistorQ3.thumb.jpg.75c6a4c7b394aa661dc974a572b52e76.jpg

Hi Are you still after some photos of the M5 internal board?

I have one and I can take some photos for you

Thank you very much AR.

The 3 components that are missing on mine are also missing on yours, so it must be OK and NAD must have removed them from boards already manufactured.

NAD did reply to my emails, but there was no longer anyone at the company who worked there at the time of model M5 being made.

Neither were there any traces of the removal of these components in their documentation (that they could find).

When I get a bit of time, I will get stuck into it.