WTB: Genelec 8010 or 8020 Monitors (Pair)

Bengineer

36 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Expensive mofo's.

My DAC has RCA out, can always converter it, but I guess neater if I go the G One over the 8010?

Both around $1000 for the pair ($300 over your $700 budget).

I'd go the 8010 and use RCA-to-XLR cables. These don't have the full benefits of proper balanced XLR but can be a little better than just RCA.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-104777-6-Feet-Premier-16AWG/dp/B01ELP3B0K/

If you later properly integrate a subwoofer (if needed), then you have a studio quality nearfield setup.

Especially if you later add something like Dirac at your computer.

Go have a listen though. There's a few places selling Genelec.

Edited by rand129678
Added more info

I have the Genelec 8010s and am super impressed by them. I don't listen to them at the distances you are planning, but I think they'd be as good as anything else, being so small. I have mine hooked up with 3.5mm input and there is no audible noise. 

They will even go surprisingly loud without sounding stressed. If you crank them up too much they just self limit to prevent driver overexcursion. 

Not a cheap option, but I got mine new from Factory Sound for $900 to give you an idea what you can get them for. If you wait a bit I'm sure a pair (or the 8020s) will come up on Gumtree or maybe even Stereonet.

• Like 2

I will give them a try tonight once I get my listening room back. I saw earlier that you say you listen at 1.5' from you. That's super close. How far apart would you have the speakers?  I'm happy to try them as you will listen to them and let you know. They're easy to move, on small stands and I currently have them with the fronts around 28cm from the back wall, giving a bit of a boost to the bass.

I tried then about 60cm apart and with me around 60cm from each speaker (didn't see your post until this morning re 80cm).  That's a lot closer than I normally listen so a bit difficult to evaluate, but I though they sounded very good - bit more like listening to headphones than speakers in a way.  I tried low volumes and they sounded pretty good, but I don't find any speaker sounds as good at low volumes - the effect of the Fletcher  Munson equal loudness, where bass and treble sounds less loud as volume goes down. If you are playing from a PC maybe you could compensate for this by some kind of equalisation program.

So it's hard to say how the 8010s compare to other speakers. I think you'd really need to really need to have a listen yourself to compare. Another cheaper option to consider is the iLoud Micromonitors, which have very good reviews, but I have not heard personally. 

The genelec website recommends the 8010s from distances of 0.5m up and nearfield monitoring is what they are designed for so I think it's likely that they'd be as good as anything else in that regard.

• Like 1

Thanks so much mate. That's awesome.

DACs like the RME have a feature where when the volume is low, it auto EQ a bit of a V shape to avoid that problem. Wonder if it works in line out mode too. Might be a worthy investment!

I'll go listen to a few when it's safer to go out haha.

15 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Might be the way to go then...

End game nearfield setup, especially when you can add a subwoofer later and properly integrate it.

If you don't like the built-in low volume EQ feature of the RME, you can do your own EQ's curves on the DAC itself and save them as pre-sets.

Not to mention it's killer headphone amp (and separate IEMs output) too.

Edited by rand129678

I can't believe if forgot about this but it is tremendous value - active setup with sub included... feed it with a Mojo as DAC.

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/harman-kardon-soundsticks-3-computer-speaker.html

If you want studio quality my recommendation is still the Genelec + RME solution (add sub and Dirac Live later). But the Soundsticks with sub are really nice, especially for their price.

Edited by rand129678
Added more info
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rand129678 said:

I can't believe if forgot about this but it is tremendous value - active setup with sub included... feed it with a Mojo as DAC.

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/harman-kardon-soundsticks-3-computer-speaker.html

If you want studio quality my recommendation is still the Genelec + RME solution (add sub and Dirac Live later). But the Soundsticks with sub are really nice, especially for their price.

I had the original Soundsticks many many years ago. Were good. Eventually the pieces fell apart, but good for the price.

Aiming higher at this stage!

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a quick listen to the Genelec 8010, the IK MTM, Fluid FX50. Hopefully hear the A3X next week.

MTM best of that bunch I heard.

Also heard the high end Adams, $5-6k....much better.

Same day also heard the Dynaudio Confidence 50. Also, quite good :P

3 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Nah, saw the big one there though.

The 8010 is tiny. Super super small.

Only so much can do with a 3" driver hey.

The 8010 are too small. I used Genelec 6020, for my desk system. Now my son uses them in his bedroom.

10 minutes ago, Analysis said:

The 8010 are too small. I used Genelec 6020, for my desk system. Now my son uses them in his bedroom.

Yeah. A travel speaker, or a very minimalist desk type use.

Want to hear the Adam A3X.

Then either choose one or just wait for something show in classifieds. None of them excited me much though.

I looked at buying the 8020, but found a used pair of Genelec 6020's. The only difference I found between the two, is the 6020 give you the option of RCA & XLR input options. Otherwise they're pretty much an identical speaker.