QUAD II Mono Blocks

Yesterday I pulled these from the shelf and plugged them back in for a listen.

Has been 3 years since I last switched them on. Still sounding wonderful - big sound stage and bass.

Fully restored/upgraded caps/resistors. Running Shuguang Treasure  KT66-Z, Mullard EF86, and Mullard GZ32.

Would love to see your Quads and hear about their story if you have them.

IMG_2556_small.jpg

• Like 4

Nice pair ! Running them into your ESL would be pretty much how Mr Walker would have heard them. 

I have always been blown away by the presentation of music via valves and ESL, it is (to me) so easy to relax into, never grates on me, truly an immersive presentation.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of II 80’s, such a joy. 

B13B9949-6AC8-464A-AA5B-7D83359C76B0.jpeg

Edited by Mr 57
  • Like 7

@haygeebaby Well my two pairs of QuadII's are ugly ducklings compared to yours, but, they have been restored and upgraded internally and converted to IEC mains and RCA inputs.  I do have two further pairs of amps which I will refurbish and will probably repaint them.  Black would be good as I do have a pair of black grill 57's and new grills, as well as another two gold pairs that need refurbishing.  I know - hoarder, but at least I don't hoard Toilet Paper  :thumbsup:

Lot of other projects ahead of this though.

The output wiring may be confusing, but, I take a high level from one amp, in parallel to one speaker, back to a  speaker to line level converter that goes to my sub amp and TBI Megallan passive sub and a high level in parallel to the other speaker to Townshend Super Tweeters.  The plan is when I build new stands the super tweeter will be central between the two ESL57's.

20200422_083115.thumb.jpg.8f31517a479b9e56597ffc3aa6d9fab1.jpg

Of course this also happens on the other side too.

My Audio Research LS2 pre luckily has two pairs of Balanced outputs.  So have XLR to RCA converter plug in each and I take separate signals out to each of the four QuadII's (no longer balanced obviously).

@Mr 57 not the stylish minimalist appearance of your set up :no: But neither is the equipment rack with the Droplet 5 and two LP12's, (sometimes a Union Jack Rega P1 makes its appearance) speed controller for one of them, TT selector switch, SUT  for one of them, pre amp, phono stage, speaker to line converter.

20200422_083126_HDR.thumb.jpg.0d7c3909e66e44a89ddbb554d55bba46.jpg

• Like 1

@tesla13BMW you lucky bugger.....It’s very difficult to stay with just one of anything....I totally understand your desire for Quad II’s, very addictive.

If I had any understanding of the electrical side of our hobby, I too would be playing in the same patch of renovating and keeping these wonderful items in circulation.

Re the minimalist look, after buying and selling, trying this, trying that, I found I always came back to the full Quad system. Save for the choice of CDP, either Meridian, or by far my preference, the Halcro EC800.

13 hours ago, Mr 57 said:

Nice pair ! Running them into your ESL would be pretty much how Mr Walker would have heard them. 

I have always been blown away by the presentation of music via valves and ESL, it is (to me) so easy to relax into, never grates on me, truly an immersive presentation.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of II 80’s, such a joy. 

B13B9949-6AC8-464A-AA5B-7D83359C76B0.jpeg

Wow - very nice looking setup. The wood theme feels very relaxing. How do you find the quad 80 with the ESL57?

Two pair Quad II's and stacked ESL57.

You are a man of taste.

Did you do the IEC conversion on the amps yourself Telsa?

Did you find any improvement with this upgrade?

Did you upgrade the internal power cable or just use the stock cable?

Where did you run the ground to from the IEC?

I'm thinking of doing this DIY on my amps.

I am also interested in getting some Townshend super tweeters but at 2k it makes it hard to pull the tigger.

Have you heard 57's with the super tweeters before? Worth?

Any cheaper alternatives that we know sound as good?

Thanks @haygeebaby, I truly enjoy what the combination does. It’s hard to put into words....but I know it has an emotional life like presentation to vocals and acoustic pieces. It has called a screaming halt to “chasing the sound”. Very happy little vegemite .

1 hour ago, Mr 57 said:

Thanks @haygeebaby, I truly enjoy what the combination does. It’s hard to put into words....but I know it has an emotional life like presentation to vocals and acoustic pieces. It has called a screaming halt to “chasing the sound”. Very happy little vegemite .

Any plans to raise the legs on the 57 and add a subwoofer?

I found both to be upgrades worth doing.

The QII80 is so beautiful - the plugs are all on the correct side.

QuadII plug orientation on the short side makes it hard to show off the amps.

Have you rolled the KT88's yet? Which make did you opt for and any improvements?

IMG_1278.JPG

Edited by haygeebaby
  • Like 1

I did have them raised at one stage, when they were in a far bigger room, now being used in a more near field listening position, I felt no real need to lift them again. Plus they look cute as the dickens on their original little feet. Suits the laid back mid century modern feel we like too .

The subwoofer side of things is a road I have not ventured down, again a smaller room here, a sub might over load it. Read lots about matching a good quality sub with them, but really happy with the standard sound. 

Tubes are factory issue...originals.......I just keep playing it....I was tempted to buy a set of Gold Lions when I was in Singapore, but never pulled the trigger. They are supposed to give a crazy amount of hours before they need replacing. Maybe I’m getting too long in the tooth to change things from factory. Years ago I used to chop and change lots of pieces of gear.

Now I’m more for just the simple things, putting music on and totally loving what it does, not questioning,....just enjoying. 

But our our hobby is a journey of discovery, all in the fun of it.

I just feel super happy with where I am system wise....contentment has descended on me ?

@haygeebaby no I didn't.  When I first stacked the ESL57's I was running them in parallel of my Plinius MA102 monoblocks.  I have protection boards in place as these are 100W.

I had the amps sent to Elson Silva who did the work on them.  But,  Ican take the bottom off one over the weekend if you like and answer some of your questions.  I don't think the IEC would make much difference unless an increased wire gauge was used compared with manufactured.

The RCA would be a good upgrade to get rid of the RCA to Jones plug converter on the low level signal.

On 22/04/2020 at 2:49 PM, haygeebaby said:

Any plans to raise the legs on the 57 and add a subwoofer?

I found the raised legs made a good solid improvement and I much prefer the look and stability too.

thumbnail_IMG_0415.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0418.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0417.jpg

On 22/04/2020 at 9:08 AM, tesla13BMW said:

@haygeebaby Well my two pairs of QuadII's are ugly ducklings compared to yours, but, they have been restored and upgraded internally and converted to IEC mains and RCA inputs.  I do have two further pairs of amps which I will refurbish and will probably repaint them.  Black would be good as I do have a pair of black grill 57's and new grills, as well as another two gold pairs that need refurbishing.  I know - hoarder, but at least I don't hoard Toilet Paper  :thumbsup:

Lot of other projects ahead of this though.

The output wiring may be confusing, but, I take a high level from one amp, in parallel to one speaker, back to a  speaker to line level converter that goes to my sub amp and TBI Megallan passive sub and a high level in parallel to the other speaker to Townshend Super Tweeters.  The plan is when I build new stands the super tweeter will be central between the two ESL57's.

20200422_083115.thumb.jpg.8f31517a479b9e56597ffc3aa6d9fab1.jpg

Of course this also happens on the other side too.

My Audio Research LS2 pre luckily has two pairs of Balanced outputs.  So have XLR to RCA converter plug in each and I take separate signals out to each of the four QuadII's (no longer balanced obviously).

@Mr 57 not the stylish minimalist appearance of your set up :no: But neither is the equipment rack with the Droplet 5 and two LP12's, (sometimes a Union Jack Rega P1 makes its appearance) speed controller for one of them, TT selector switch, SUT  for one of them, pre amp, phono stage, speaker to line converter.

20200422_083126_HDR.thumb.jpg.0d7c3909e66e44a89ddbb554d55bba46.jpg

That brings back memories - my grandfather had 2 stacked like that (mono) running on a home made valve amp... he played big band almost exclusively.

Welcome aboard @snavedivad....very nice ....bronze ESL’s too....

Not having your 303 running either, brother I understand your pain!

Their own amps, be it original II’s or 303 are a lovely match to the ESL.

When not seriously listening....I enjoy my 303 very much.

Hope you sort it soon, thanks for sharing ?

Are the Quad ESL's  easy to repair should they have issues? Or are they reliable as  box/cone speakers?

I ask as I am interested in them but am also  scared as I owned some Martin Logans and the panel replacements required were $2,000... Cost of Martin Logan  ownership can be very expensive due to failure of parts which is commonplace.

I wouldn’t say they are easy to repair, although if your handy and confident there are some DIY repair guidance sites on line.

If not so handy, buy a “sorted” pair, treat them well and they will last for some time. I read at one stage they are like an MG , in that they do require maintenance every now and then.

I have had a few panels repaired, but have sent them to John Hall in Victoria. I hate it when they go down, ....but cannot see myself finding satisfaction with anything else. For me, they are the Goldilocks speakers....”just right”. They just please me no end. If your choice of music is within their area of strength....nirvana for you my friend.

I read they are considered a “cerebral” listen.....headphones for the room....

but I love them for the huge sound wall too....yup that’s just me, smitten with ‘em ?

Choose wisely, or be prepared to spend a little money on them....but once you have, and can set them up to get the best out of them, you’re in for a long term relationship. If you can live with their known limitations, do it !

• Thanks 1

You can get the high voltage power supply boards if epoxy potted or rebuild the boards if bees wax potted.

Kits available for the cross overs.

ER Audio in Perth are renowned for their panel rebuild kits.  Supply everything that is needed as well as instructions.  Rob is very helpful by email also.

I haven't rebuilt panels yet, but, it is on the list with two of the spare sets I have.  Just down the list of projects - about #5 :-)

As said if you can search the internet and are "handy" I wouldn't worry about the rebuilding too much.

BUT, you should try and have a listen to a good pair - they do go loud and do do base, but, if you want ear ringing and chest thumping, ESL57's are not what you want.

P.S.  They are sensitive to amplification.  They are well known for blowing up amps!  And powerful amps will arc the panels when driven hard, but, there are protection boards available which are easy to fit.

• Like 1

Well voiced @tesla13BMW....you too are deep into the Quad Kool-aid ?

Re playing levels....I had @cheekyboy run a dB test, I listen occasionally in the late 60’s, at the time it was 68db, ....at about 3 metres.

And if you decide to do some panel repairs, count me in as “electronically “ looking over your shoulder.....

Edited by Mr 57

My stacked pair play plenty loud.  About 9:30 on my Audio Research LS2 for both vinyl and CD is significantly raised voice to talk to other people at 4m.

One pair were a bit down on the other but when I replaced their HV boards they are pretty even now.

20 hours ago, Mr 57 said:

Well voiced @tesla13BMW....you too are deep into the Quad Kool-aid ?

Re playing levels....I had @cheekyboy run a dB test, I listen occasionally in the late 60’s, at the time it was 68db, ....at about 3 metres.

And if you decide to do some panel repairs, count me in as “electronically “ looking over your shoulder.....

What have you got me into here?? Yes, I remember taking some readings with a SPL gauge and we were listening at fairly low levels, but the Quad ESLs were still delightful, detailed and had impact at those low SPLs. Imaging and soundstage was good, but one caveat is necessary in that regard, that you do need to be seated precisely in the sweet spot and unfortunately, if you move your head even slightly to either side, that image and soundstage does  fall apart somewhat.

These are particularly personal loudspeakers that aren’t going to excite the bass freaks out there too much, but once you’re occupying that sweet spot, they are a very sweet sounding loudspeaker indeed.?

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

On 25/04/2020 at 5:51 PM, snavedivad said:

Here's my pair, though this is an old photo with many changes since. One is awaiting a new mains transformer from Quad. Unfortunately my backup 303 has just given up as well so I'm in a world of pain!  

IMG_2723.jpg

I like your setup too snavedivad. Simple and classic.

You've also got the Stax headphones going as well. Well done.

I know your pain as well - as my phono has just shat itself and will need repairs.

• Like 1