Budding audiophile

Kso

Hi SNA folks!

Hope everyone is keeping safe during these crazy times. New to SNA but been building my system for over two decades.

In the middle of downsizing due to a move to apartment living and little ones running around. Had always run the HT Atmos rig together with the stereo setup via HT bypass mode - but HT has got to go now... 

Though having serious thoughts on simplifying the stereo setup too - maybe move away from separates?!

Anyone made the same move?

With my first baby I removed surround speakers only. With second baby I didn't remove anything but made the whole system babyproof. Of course there are compromises, like forgetting big subwoofers and using more often closed headphones.

12 hours ago, Kso said:

Hi SNA folks!

Hope everyone is keeping safe during these crazy times. New to SNA but been building my system for over two decades.

In the middle of downsizing due to a move to apartment living and little ones running around. Had always run the HT Atmos rig together with the stereo setup via HT bypass mode - but HT has got to go now... 

Though having serious thoughts on simplifying the stereo setup too - maybe move away from separates?!

Anyone made the same move?

Without a dedicated theatre room ditching HT is the best decision, I am happier watching tv and movies in 2 channel. 

I also reduced box count for 2 channel but just depends on your cabinet etc. Can still have sizable gear in an apartment.

Many use fencing to keep little ones away.

? thank you @sir sanders zingmore for spreading my fame (or is that infamy?)

:welcome: to the forum, kso

I took an extreme simplification jump and am still very happy.  Do not know what your budget is, and how far you want to simplify.  Suggest investigating a NAD C658 or a Naim Unity Atom...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

welcome Kevin, 

Speaking of simplifying, you should check out thread:

Not a like for like comparison but I once did have a pair of KEF LS50 - and powered them with a devialet d200 pro (Before Core Infinity) - in the end I still preferred full range speakers.

The d200 pro was nice (and the missus liked the form factor) but seemed to polite for my taste. Had also paired it to B&W 804 D2 and liked the top end sparkle but overall didn’t seem natural for that speaker. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irek said:

With my first baby I removed surround speakers only. With second baby I didn't remove anything but made the whole system babyproof. Of course there are compromises, like forgetting big subwoofers and using more often closed headphones.

Yep looking to sell the AVR and the surround/Atmos speakers ?

though how did you go abouts the baby proofing? Sealed cabinets? I had put up kids fences around my gear (easy than making a playpen) but had to place it right up against the tower speakers which still invited prying little fingers!

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

? thank you @sir sanders zingmore for spreading my fame (or is that infamy?)

:welcome: to the forum, kso

I took an extreme simplification jump and am still very happy.  Do not know what your budget is, and how far you want to simplify.  Suggest investigating a NAD C658 or a Naim Unity Atom...

Haven’t had the pleasure - Will definitely check these outs. Would  like to audition some integrateds actually - been using luxman Class A monoblocks and been curious about their other gear. 

13 hours ago, Kso said:

Yep looking to sell the AVR and the surround/Atmos speakers ?

though how did you go abouts the baby proofing? Sealed cabinets? I had put up kids fences around my gear (easy than making a playpen) but had to place it right up against the tower speakers which still invited prying little fingers!

I used plywood as well, there are many sizes already precut. The other thing is kids are growing very fast. It's almost like one day they are trying to touch everything and the next day they want to watch with you tv with surround sound.