What to drive HD6xx with?

4 hours ago, 626tomp said:

That's gonna hurt the bank account....

Hope you're enjoying all your headphones. Your collection is already more impressive than mine...

I’ll probably over buy and then edit back down. 

Can only listen to one at a time right? Well, one at a time at each location. And, I suppose one at a depending on your mood.. this could go on.. 

4 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Just like USB Reclockers and Filters, I stack my headphones for best results.

Slip on the HD6XX, then the Verite over the top. Best of both worlds.

Just need to slip some iems on underneath then you're good to go.

• 1 month later...

To think that this was my first post/thread on here (see signature, now 3 months later).  @peppy @Bengineer ? 

Rounding this out, when I do use my HD6XX, mostly for YouTube general purpose, I use my RME and have an EQ profile loaded which brings them to life. 

7 hours ago, elisix_ said:

To think that this was my first post/thread on here (see signature, now 3 months later).  @peppy @Bengineer ? 

Rounding this out, when I do use my HD6XX, mostly for YouTube general purpose, I use my RME and have an EQ profile loaded which brings them to life. 

Would you say you have an impulsive personality :P ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

It's plugged directly into the iMac?

Yep... with an adaptor of course.. but it's good enough.
I have a Marantz NA 11S1 and the PM 11S3, with decent amps for the cans built in, but I don't think I find much lacking... 

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

The Headphone output on all three of those devices is unlikely to be driving the HD650 adequately. They actually need a fair bit of juice. You may get sufficient listening volumes, but still be under-driven. If you have any mates with dedicated headphone amps ask them to drive, HD650 is a bit veiled/muffled on a lot of reasonable gear, on low power stuff especially so.

What you'll notice when properly driven is a clearer sound, less congested. Bit of an EQ tweak helps again. Good DAC helps a little bit again.

I actually did use a dedicated amp before, courtesy of a friend who owned some fancy A&K gear. But I guess my ears weren't sharp enough to find the difference...

If you have a read of the old reviews of the Marantz kit, the headphone stage is not too shabby... cheers. 

1 hour ago, petetherock said:

Oh lastly, I'm playing at 15-20% of the volume range of my iMac and I find it pretty loud already, so I guess I'm easy to please :)

Well you asked what you're lacking. The answer is you wouldn't be properly, and cleanly, driving the headphone.

If you knew you were happy with the set up.....why ask? ?

31 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Yes indeed, sorry to impose on your thread. 

Not my thread ?

If you're happy with the sound, speaker or headphone, get off SNA and forever be happier and richer. This place will consume your contentedness and money 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2020 at 1:01 AM, elisix_ said:

Took the plunge on some new headphones and ordered the HD6xx today from A2A. By all reports, a no-brainer.

Now, what to drive them with..

I have the same phones. I drive mine from a Drop Cavalli Tube Hybrid headphone amp, using a Shiit Modi 3 DAC and fed from my desktop iMac. Using Burson Cable+ ICs also really helped, those have an op-amp driven buffer that impedance-matches between DAC and amp. I'm sure your RME ADI DAC will be great.

• Like 1