My Entertainment room

10 hours ago, jt301 said:

Happy - Glad - similar meaning

Rock - Stone - similar meaning

See where I'm going with this?

Death - As humans don't live forever, ie. we die, we're considered what? What's the name of the place dead bodies may be taken to be examined?

Valley - Up hill and down what?

OK ... yes, I can see how he got happy rock.  :thumb:

So:

• Death = Mortuary
  • Valley = Dale

?????  :sorry:

Andy

1 hour ago, jt301 said:

Cut and paste and you get Mortdale.

Aah, OK - very good!  :thumb:  (Not living in "Sin City", I've never heard of that suburb.  :sorry: )

Andy

PS:  Maybe I should change my location to "Poor Hole" or "Poor Valley"?  :D

Edited by andyr

• 3 months later...

As per my last couple of updates, I'm happy with the basic components in my system so it's now down to tweaking. A couple of items have peaked my interest recently that I've now purchased and trying out in my system.

First off the Les Davis Audio 3D-2 vibration dampeners. They look like mini drink coasters but are composed of a composite layering of industrial grade soft aluminium foil and a pressure sensitive viscoelastic polymer.  This constrained layer dampening is designed to suppress vibrations.

They come in a pack of 16 and it is recommended that 2 discs are put under each of the feet of the components your system.  Enough then for 2 components. I put them under my Clearaudio Performance SE turntable and my Naim Unityserv music server / streamer.

I haven't played around with removing and reinserting these discs yet but my initial impression with digital replay is that the music is somewhat more vivid.

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

The second tweak to catch my interest was the IsoAcoutic Gaia designed to replace the spikes on your speakers. The construction of these feet are designed to minimise the vibrations and ringing from the cabinet to floor and vice versa, effectively isolating them. The usual argument against these type of feet is that they move / vibrate more in reaction to cone / dome movement. These are designed to resist such movement so long as they're installed with the logo facing forward or backwards.

I previously used Herbies footer gliders for a similar reasoning. The footer gliders came with benefit of making the speakers very easy to move around. A bit of a shock moving to the Gaia then which have almost a suction cup at the bottom making them 'stick' to a hard floor. This makes the more difficult to move around but also more difficult to knock the speaker over once it is in position. A definite bonus for the tall, narrow P33s.

I've moved the footer gliders to my subwoofer.

To my ears these feet produced more open mid range with improved clarity. Most noticeable in being more easily able to understand what was being sung. I didn't initially notice too much difference to the bass but then I played DSOTM. The opening 'heart beats' have always been described as low, powerful bass notes.  I never really agreed with that until now.  

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After being given the Benz phono cartridge for Christmas, I got around to installing it today.

I didn’t realise until after I’d bought it how much heavier it is than the original Clearaudio cartridge on the turntable. I had to put the tonearm weight quite a long way back.

The second issue was the strong exposed magnets made the electronic stylus force gauge useless. As I started to lower the stylus down on to it, it went into negative.  I mustn’t be first or only one to come across this issue. How have others dealt with this?

90225816-0FE6-449C-8EF0-5780DB26A56C.jpeg

D5B8F688-72BF-496C-8EA2-74573D443520.jpeg

4B5B4FC7-2ABC-4643-9894-AA82639B9C62.jpeg

Edited by jt301

24 minutes ago, scuzzii said:
On 08/12/2017 at 9:14 PM, jt301 said:
A picture of my Christmas gift before it gets wrapped and put under the tree.:wub:

74F99013-762F-4F1C-85F2-FAFB8F391CAE.thumb.jpeg.063dd61a97b7a8180c50b64d5ad46d42.jpeg

Awesome Xmas present.

Thanks mate. I’ve been spinning a few albums tonight to get a handle on how it sounds.

The cartridge is certainly a bit warmer than the previous Clearaudio cartridge which is a good thing.  It de-emphasises the clicks and crackles that can annoy me with vinyl. It also provides a clearly different sound from digital which is what I was looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I’ve been spinning a few albums tonight to get a handle on how it sounds.

The cartridge is certainly a bit warmer than the previous Clearaudio cartridge which is a good thing.  It de-emphasises the clicks and crackles that can annoy me with vinyl. It also provides a clearly different sound from digital which is what I was looking for.
Is that an Ebony? Niiiiice!! I'm a Benz fan- I use a Wood SL with electronic scales with no ill effect. The platform that you lower the stylus onto appears to be stainless steel (ie non ferrous). I'd think that ferrous elements in stylus force scales is a serious design flaw? Worth asking the manufacturer what the devil is going on.

45 minutes ago, Grizzly said:
23 hours ago, jt301 said:

Read more  

Is that an Ebony? Niiiiice!! I'm a Benz fan- I use a Wood SL with electronic scales with no ill effect. The platform that you lower the stylus onto appears to be stainless steel (ie non ferrous). I'd think that ferrous elements in stylus force scales is a serious design flaw? Worth asking the manufacturer what the devil is going on.

You’ve got me thinking now and that’s always dangerous. ?

Time to get out a magnet and experiment.

On 19/08/2017 at 11:02 AM, jt301 said:

As per my last couple of updates, I'm happy with the basic components in my system so it's now down to tweaking. A couple of items have peaked my interest recently that I've now purchased and trying out in my system.

First off the Les Davis Audio 3D-2 vibration dampeners. They look like mini drink coasters but are composed of a composite layering of industrial grade soft aluminium foil and a pressure sensitive viscoelastic polymer.  This constrained layer dampening is designed to suppress vibrations.

They come in a pack of 16 and it is recommended that 2 discs are put under each of the feet of the components your system.  Enough then for 2 components. I put them under my Clearaudio Performance SE turntable and my Naim Unityserv music server / streamer.

I haven't played around with removing and reinserting these discs yet but my initial impression with digital replay is that the music is somewhat more vivid.

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

HI Given you seem to be doing a few tweaks I had to comment. I was at the Hi Fi show and was pretty skeptical about the Les Davis thingy's. I wrote a bit about it in my brief show topic. The thing I wanted to mention is they brought a turntable platter one in made of the same materials. The difference in a brief listen was incredible, not a hang your ear out to tell the difference, but a night and day difference. like spending much more on the turntable. definitely worth a try i think.

• 2 months later...

I've now been using the new cartridge for 3 months and loving it.  I'm playing more vinyl LPs than ever and even started buying a couple of new LPs.  I haven't bought any new LPs for years. 

I've also looking at for some time how I improve the television sound.  I've finally purchased a Canton DM100 sound base.  This is definitely a vast improvement on the standard TV speakers.  The sound coming from the TV is now much clearer and actually has some bass to it - too much in fact.  Male speakers all sounded like they had a chesty cold.  I've adjusted the bass down a notch or three and it now sounds quite balanced.

I had a listen to ABC Jazz television station through these and it's not bad for music either.  It's definitely acceptable for background music and at a push, I think I could live with it for a short period if one of the components in my main system failed.

85E74371-74F0-4EE0-A1DA-39A1AAFCCCB1.jpeg

Edited by jt301
Adding a photo

Guest Hensa

Blimey, a Benz Ruby for a Christmas present!!? Let me know if there are any vacancies in your family. I can send through references from current family members who gave me a pair of golf socks for Christmas’?

The Ruby’s an awesome cart - spent many an enjoyable hour at Scuzzi’s place listening to the Ruby-Z!

3 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Blimey, a Benz Ruby for a Christmas present!!? Let me know if there are any vacancies in your family. I can send through references from current family members who gave me a pair of golf socks for Christmas’?

The Ruby’s an awesome cart - spent many an enjoyable hour at Scuzzi’s place listening to the Ruby-Z!

Sometimes you have to spoil yourself.

The sound would be very familiar to you then, especially as this was the cartridge on scuzzi’s turntable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So I meant to give an update on the Nucleus a few weeks after the purchase.  I've now been living with it for over a year and absolutely love it.

The initial plan was to point the Nucleus to the Naim unity serv where all of my CDs had been ripped and a NAS drive where I had an assortment of hi res and MP3 music.  Unfortunately the Nucleus wouldn't talk to the Unity serv and therefore I plugged in a backup of the music on an external HDD via one of the USB ports and all went fine from there.  I've recently migrated all my music to the NAS drive.  It detected my Devialet LE 400 and that set up via an ethernet switch went without a hitch.

I also became a subscriber to Tidal. The combination of Roon and Tidal gives easy access to so much music.  More than you could ever listen to in a life time.   Any album or artist I have an interest in, a quick search and I can be listening to it in no time at all.  If I like it, I can save it like any other album in my collection.  Just brilliant!  Roon suggests other music you may like that is similar to the music you're playing.  A great way of discovering new artists and music.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the Internet radio service Roon offered but this has been greatly improved with a recent upgrade. 

• Like 2