Rocketfrogs

Moving Coil Cartridge recommendations

Posted (edited)

I am currently researching low output moving coil cartridges, ideally with nude/shibata style styli.  I am currently using a Denon 301 Mk II lomc which has about 700 hrs on it, so plenty of life left, thus there is no urgency to replace it

My current set-up is Denon 301 - Michell Tecnoarm - Michell Gyrodec - PS Audio GCPH phono. I am happy with my system but for my next cartridge  I really want to upgrade to the nude/shibata style stylus.  

My budget is about $1500 and I would appreciate any comments/experiences with the following contenders;

Benz Micro Glider Sl ($1390)

1546179543_benzmicroglidersl.jpg.afedea74ef370a39a88ca0aa483f1489.jpg

Benz Micro Ace SL ($990)

Benz_Micro_Ace_SL_Cartridge__72943.1555566143.thumb.jpg.4626fc921b28fadff2b5b7762a340b8f.jpg

Ortofon Quintet Bronze ($999)

ortofon_quintet_bronze_a1.jpg.ea82b66cc164e35b715a505191e3f5f6.jpg

Hana Sl ($995)

Hana-Sl.jpg.d7eea31036601cbf26b970b8dfe295de.jpg

Dynavector 10x5 Mk II MC ($997)

download.jpg.6834e5ac051410c595ee346003cd63df.jpg

If you have any other suggestions within budget I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

ortofon 2m black.jpg

Edited by Rocketfrogs
removing pesky MM cartridge.

Good post. I am also looking for MC recommendations. Btw Ortofon 2M Black is moving magnet type.

Ummm, the Ortofon 2m is MM isn't it?

Anyhow, the Dynavector 20x2 is within your budget and a great step up from the 10x5

Was going to suggest a Lyra Delos but I see the price has skyrocketed. Maybe a secondhand one?

https://sonicpurity.com.au/store/cartridges/zyx-r50-bloom

I replaced a Dynavector 20X2L with a Zyx and it was much better in comparison. 

Should be around your budget of $1500, interesting fact is that the more expensive Zyx models offer only modest improvement/ or value for the money. 

I’ve listed a low hours Phasemation PP500 in the classifieds.

Would give all mentioned so far a lickin

Hi @Rocketfrogs,

I am a big fan of the Benz Micro Glider, one of the best value for money MC carts about.

JJ

1 hour ago, davidSun said:

Btw Ortofon 2M Black is moving magnet type.

Thanks guys. Have removed 2M Black from list

If you want something on the rich and warm side, the Hana SL is my vote. If detail and resolution is your bag, with plenty of air, the Glider is hard to beat. Those two are easily the most popular two I sell as well. 

Posted (edited)

I have the Benz glider and love it - it replaced an ortofon kontrapunkt a and it was much more musical with brilliant bass.  It also tracks well and does not seem to emphasize surface noise.  Wholeheartedly recommended at this price point.  

Edited by wadiman
Added Benz model

I am using a Dynavector 20X2, which replaced a Garrott P77i and I can tell you for certain that the improvement is not subtle. It has just the right balance of detail, air and a smooth texture.

It is similar to the Benz in  many ways but has just an extra dash of substance which tightens bass response.

3 hours ago, Citroen said:

Ummm, the Ortofon 2m is MM isn't it?

Anyhow, the Dynavector 20x2 is within your budget and a great step up from the 10x5

Was going to suggest a Lyra Delos but I see the price has skyrocketed. Maybe a secondhand one?

I see some places in Sydney still have the Delos for $2495.  Looks like the new price has jumped to $3200!

I have one and quite enjoy it.

My first venture into MCs was the AT 33EV - I can't fault it in any way. A lot of ATs had a reputation for being a bit bright, not so with this cartridge. Very musical  an excellent tracker  and most importantly seems to kill any surface noise.  I like it so much that I want to buy the ART 9 but the problem is that there have been some faulty units. The 33EV is well within the OPs budget.

The 33EV can be bought on Amazon @ USD 469 / from AT in the EU @ £419, from Scot Nagle the ART 9 @ £799 -  both these ATs perform way above their price. With the price drop from the Scottish Co. I am seriously thinking about the ART 9.  I would advise the OP to pop for the 33EV at these prices.

4 hours ago, Southerly said:

The 33EV can be bought on Amazon @ USD 469 / from AT in the EU @ £419, from Scot Nagle the ART 9 @ £799 -  both these ATs perform way above their price. With the price drop from the Scottish Co. I am seriously thinking about the ART 9.  I would advise the OP to pop for the 33EV at these prices.

The AT33 PTG ii is also available as an option  for less than AUD$1k . Another cartridge with many  positive  reviews.  

8 hours ago, Gryffles said:

I’ve listed a low hours Phasemation PP500 in the classifieds.

Would give all mentioned so far a lickin

Great cartridge, would smash them all 😍

8 hours ago, myskylab said:

Great cartridge, would smash them all 😍

Also ASD 3,700 - the OP asked for ideas around ASD 1,500. Also I take it you have heard most if not all cartridges recommended? Plus if it is that good why are you selling it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Southerly said:

Also ASD 3,700 - the OP asked for ideas around ASD 1,500. Also I take it you have heard most if not all cartridges recommended? Plus if it is that good why are you selling it?

@SoutherlyI`m not selling this 1,  but it is for sale in the classifieds for $1800 a few hundred more but to me that is exceptional value read what was said not what you imagined. I have listen to most of the above mentioned cartridges and agree with @evil c the bloom 3 is really good also the art 9 is good. But the phasemation if the arm can take the weight would be fantastic value 😁😁

Edited by myskylab

I started my TT journey with a Glider, fantastic cart.  If you could stretch to get @Gryffles PP500, then I would grab that.  Otherwise, the Glider is hard to beat as an all rounder.

10 hours ago, myskylab said:

@SoutherlyI`m not selling this 1,  but it is for sale in the classifieds for $1800 a few hundred more but to me that is exceptional value read what was said not what you imagined. I have listen to most of the above mentioned cartridges and agree with @evil c the bloom 3 is really good also the art 9 is good. But the phasemation if the arm can take the weight would be fantastic value 😁😁

You made a very bombastic comment with no mention that you had heard most of the cartridges offered as possibles to the OP, hence my comment.  Also maybe the OP may think that whilst good the Mitchell deck and arm don't rate such an expensive cartridge. He could buy 4 x the 33EV for the same price. I would  buy the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star in preference to the ART 9 if I could buy in the USA but as always Europe is a rip-off compared to the USA and I demand value for money eg. I bought my 33EV for USD299 when the rate was £1=$1.75 at that time the best price available in Europe was in the UK @ £457. It was bought for me by an American friend who posted it on to me., sadly my friend is no more - so it goes.

I forgot to add that there is another huge advantage - the Zephyr can like all the Soundsmith cartridges can be rebuilt, the Zephyr for $350 which makes all the Soundsmith cartridges a really good buy  - value for money and an excellent sound.

I have had the Benz Ace.  Pretty decent.  Solid choice I guess but not earth shattering.  I upgraded to the Benz Wood and I could live with that.  I am slightly conflicted about cartridges.  They are vastly more impact-full than tonearms or phono stages but they wear out and / or break.   

5 minutes ago, SL1200 said:

I have had the Benz Ace.  Pretty decent.  Solid choice I guess but not earth shattering.  I upgraded to the Benz Wood and I could live with that.  I am slightly conflicted about cartridges.  They are vastly more impact-full than tonearms or phono stages but they wear out and / or break.   

Says the bloke with an Ikeda 9TT 🤣

Sorry couldn’t help it, no offence intended.

1 minute ago, Gryffles said:

Says the bloke with an Ikeda 9TT 🤣

Sorry couldn’t help it, no offence intended.

Hi Ben, nice to hear from you.  Ikeda was bought second hand, and since then I have munted the tip of my Benz Wood AND the tip of my Charisma cartridge.  I don't know what is wrong with me - just born clumsy I suppose.  I am following the thread with interest as I need a 2nd cart.  Thinking Hana at the moment, also bottom end of zyx have my interest.  But either way my days of spending large on cartridges are OVER.

4 minutes ago, SL1200 said:

Hi Ben, nice to hear from you.  Ikeda was bought second hand, and since then I have munted the tip of my Benz Wood AND the tip of my Charisma cartridge.  I don't know what is wrong with me - just born clumsy I suppose.  I am following the thread with interest as I need a 2nd cart.  Thinking Hana at the moment, also bottom end of zyx have my interest.  But either way my days of spending large on cartridges are OVER.

Damn, that is a bad run! 

The best sounding MC I've heard remains the Supex SD900 Super retipped with a shibata. I don't know why though I've generally found the best vintage carts seem to outperform modern in the sub $2,000 price range. They may often lose that last little bit of detail though make up for that in sounding far more natural and real in comparison.

Of those you've listed I'd go with the Hana. :)