The Price of Vinyl - What??

G'day All

Hope everyone is going well and surviving this weirdness.

Can someone please explain to be the craziness that is the climbing prices of second hand vinyl?  It is getting to a point where it isn't worth it anymore.  I have a lovely setup now, and I would like to expand my collection, but at $30-50 on average per unit, it just doesnt make sense.  I guess the collector mentality etc, but really, how many copies of Neil Young's Harvest are out there....its not like it is rare, and yet, you've gotta dip in $50 for a decent copy of it.  I used to give new vinyl a miss because it was clearly exorbitantly overpriced....but the second hand market is just as bad or worse.  

What are we trying to do here folks....because people will just sell their gear and go all digital if we dont get a handle on it.

cheers

A

I see it as , as  new vinyl prices skyrocket the secondhand market will just follow.

Why are new prices so high? Price gouging? Are there any increased costs to justify the rise? Or just supply and demand? Or short sighted greed?

And as the OP alludes,  I already know a few people selling off their vinyl systems in favour of digital (due to very good digital systems and just too good prices for secondhand vinyl not to cash in on it!).

• Like 1

Exactly why I've bought a lot of records from Importcds- au.

Few years ago I saw the light after Dixon's started jacking up prices for 2nd hand vinyl.

But yes getting harder to find at reasonable prices. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, agentorange2 said:

Hang in there boys and enjoy the stuff you have on hand.

As Sam Cooke once said " A Change Is Gonna Come "

are you expecting more supply to hit the market?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, agentorange2 said:

Hang in there boys and enjoy the stuff you have on hand.

As Sam Cooke once said " A Change Is Gonna Come "

I was but all mine got burnt and now I'm priced out of the market. Stupid prices.

CDs are going cheap.

7 minutes ago, eman said:

I was but all mine got burnt and now I'm priced out of the market. Stupid prices.

CDs are going cheap.

Sorry thats happened to you Eman.  I hope the insurance company is helping you....maybe you should take a cash pay out in Now prices for what you lost.

11 minutes ago, davidSun said:

are you expecting more supply to hit the market?

Eventually yes , I believe a lot of the players in the 2nd hand market will be left a little exposed in the coming months and will need to quit some stock.

The market correction which I also believe will come is due to the medium being a luxury , the hipster market is already on the wane. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, agentorange2 said:

Eventually yes , I believe a lot of the players in the 2nd hand market will be left a little exposed in the coming months and will need to quit some stock.

The market correction which I also believe will come is due to the medium being a luxury , the hipster market is already on the wane. 

I hope so.

*Used* to do ok collecting even on the pension.

2 hours ago, Fubar990 said:

Sorry thats happened to you Eman.  I hope the insurance company is helping you....maybe you should take a cash pay out in Now prices for what you lost.

Part of the 'Contents'. Now price would prob even shock insurance.

Doesn't make current costs any less stupid. 

Did buy a few before prime crisis point but then exchange rate too. Don't have anywhere to put them anyway.

A possible price reduction will be a benefit if the hipster fad ends, obviously overall demand will decrease, in the last few years two new used vinyl shops have opened in my small rural town, they might not survive into the future. Shops like JB HiFi will close or reduce the size of their vinyl sections, online stores will be fewer possibly, not all good with less demand.

Unless it's a rare pressing, I've paid between $15 - 25 for the 2nd hand vinyl I've purchased in the last few months. My local record store post their latest 2nd hand offerings a few times a week and most of the titles are around $20 for VG+ media. Of course there are plenty of vendors who are more than happy to charge oil rigs for a clapped out copy of Sgt Peppers that looks like it's gone a few rounds with the family terrier, and the Australian peso's current buying power doesn't help on Discogs where most sellers (and some locals) price in USD.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fubar990 said:

I am happy to buy online....do any of your local shops do that?  I am keen to deal with anyone who is selling at reasonable prices.   Every time I go to discogs, its a rip off.

Beatdisc Records is my local store and are doing most of their current business online. They have an online spreadsheet detailing all their stock - new and 2nd hand. They also cap postage at $15. Their Instagram feed  lists new arrivals - the link has their most recent 2nd hand stock. I've found their grading accurate and the guys are easy to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am relatively new to vinyl (only been collecting since mid 2019 so not as experienced as many here of course) but I have noticed that the older vinyl overall sounds better and yes, you have to pay more if you want a near mint / mint copy, but it is worth it to have original pressings. I find some of the new pressings (such as you pick up from JB) are often poor quality - surface noise & pops - so they can be a little  hit and miss, although JB have a good return policy if you end up with a lemon.

Also some releases of course are rare. I am a Prince and Madonna collector and some of Madonna's vinyl albums from recent years,  are pricey as they were limited release in numbers - I have paid up to $200 for an album in Mint condition in Shrink Wrap, but I am a completist and happy to pay that even though I ate beans that week -  (and yes, I do rip off that wrap and play them - they are meant to be heard) ?

But then I have also picked up real bargains - recently Prince Piano & Microphone that normally retails for $80 - I got it for $25 new in shrink wrap, it is just a case of shopping around & that is part of the fun, the HUNT !!!!!

I have a rule of Near Mint & Mint only in my collection so yes, it means you can pay extra for that of course, but worth it if you really enjoy vinyl.

I have all these albums on CD but vinyl just elevates the music so much more - and my preferred medium to sit and enjoy an album.

If I want to listen to music when cleaning the house, then I put a CD on as it is then more background and less bother and I don't want to waste hours on my stylus if I am not paying attention?

I have found like anything, sometimes you will pick up a real gem at a bargain price - and other times you have to dig a little deeper into the wallet if you are wanting something specific. I just accept that as part of my vinyl journey.

I buy from Discogs and Ebay - I find Discogs slightly better as sellers on there are better at grading & I have had mostly only glowing experiences. Ebay can be a little more hit and miss but overall I have been very lucky and picked up some great bargains too.

Like anything, the value of something is what someone is prepared to pay for it and if it is not in your price limit at the time, then another will come along that will be if you are patient - it is all just part of the fun of collecting ?

I am noticing though some new vinyl seems to be decreasing in prices and I think that is because there is now more of a demand for it and driving the pricing down - which is a good thing - and means many are enjoying a wonderful hobby.

• Like 1