Raphael

can you use tape out as HT bypass

Hi there,

i'm hoping to purchase a preamp that has a tape monitor (RCA tape in and out) for my pair of monoblocks. can i use the tape monitor (tape in and out) as HT Bypass? i have an AVR and wish to use the my monoblocks to fire the 2 front speaker. therefore, from the AVR, front preout rca to the preamplifier tape in, and tape out to the monoblocks. does that work? will tht bypass the preamp volume  and everything still controleed by the AVR? 

thank you. 

HI Everyone,

i'm considering to purchase a preamp which require to have a HT bypass. I have come across a couple of preamp (within my price range) and both doesn't have HT bypass. Can anyone confirm if Tape out can act as HT bypass? I have read a few forum but some said yes and some said no.  Thank in advance.

image.thumb.png.a0c62c4cd4d46216004fe9a0e34fbaff.png

Nope :) can’t use tape loop...have to keep swapping between pre outs and record outs to feed power amp. 

just use any input and use pre amp volume at 12 o’clock for ht use and return to that each time for ht

There are plenty of pres on market more than ever with ht bypass. Just get one with feature if important :)

Thanks Betty Boop. Yes i could do that too. Also, do you know "direct output" can be connected to a power amp? i assumed they are basically unbalance output?

on the manual it says

Outputs
• 2 analog stereo outputs
• Neutrik XLR, balanced, Pin 2 = (+)
• RCA, unbalanced (Direct Out)

then it says

You control the volume of the PREAMP OUTPUT (13) with the VOLUME potentiometer (5).
The DIRECT OUT (14) level is fixed to 0 dBfs and can be used to connect a headphone amplifier.
The VOLUME potentiometer is motorized and can be remotely controlled (see page 13).

so basically that's a normal unbalance output which is usually has 0db from my understanding? 

13 minutes ago, Raphael said:

Thanks Betty Boop. Yes i could do that too. Also, do you know "direct output" can be connected to a power amp? i assumed they are basically unbalance output?

on the manual it says

Outputs
• 2 analog stereo outputs
• Neutrik XLR, balanced, Pin 2 = (+)
• RCA, unbalanced (Direct Out)

then it says

You control the volume of the PREAMP OUTPUT (13) with the VOLUME potentiometer (5).
The DIRECT OUT (14) level is fixed to 0 dBfs and can be used to connect a headphone amplifier.
The VOLUME potentiometer is motorized and can be remotely controlled (see page 13).

so basically that's a normal unbalance output which is usually has 0db from my understanding? 

Fixed out is to connect something with its own vol level eg head phone amp as they suggest ... this is same as tape out most folk usually use for head phone amps ...

right.. thank you. 

so basically, this preamp has only 1 output (power amp) which is the XLR connection .

If you did that you wouldnt be able to connect any other source through the preamp, so there is no point in adding a preamp.

What are you trying to achieve?

i basically have 2 system.  and see if i can combine them using one preamp and out to 2 pair of amps. one amp is AVR and another amp dedicated 2 channel. anyway, i think i'm just complicating things again instead of simplifying. thanks anyway

Posted (edited)

You might be able to connect both AVR and Pre to the same power amps,
some have dual inputs or can use an RCA splitter - this of course depends on the amp and you want to make sure that only the pre or AVR is switched on at any given time.

I have been struggling to do the same for years, in then end I have just upgrading my processor until it is good enough that it can also work as a pre amp,

I came really close with a pre-amp that has HT bypass (Bel Canto), its still a hassle as you have to switch it on and also select the HT bypass input to watch a movie.
The other issue is matching with a power amp, the pre and processor sound quite different and suit different power amps.
Hence I now just use the processor as my preamp its much simpler, one source selector and volume control - done.

Edited by Hifiplus

A proper HT bypass essentially "bypasses" the internal preamplifier . Which means the power amplifier section input is not attenuated by the preamplifier and would be similar (more or less depending on design) to turning the volume control to "11" or as far as it would go.  This "turning up the volume" occurs automatically with a proper HT bypass. 

In your situation you could mimic it by switching to tape monitor and turning up the volume as far as it can go or some repeatable position that allows proper volume matching of all your channels. Just remember to turn it down again before switching back to another input or something might not survive. With this setup you coujld control volume from the avr.

Thanks. Yes i was doing that way all along . i'm worried one day i forget to dial the volume control down and rock and roll.  hence  was hoping i can find a preamp with a dedicated HT bypass. not many preamp has HT bypass (under 2.5k).  

Maybe put out a wtb to see what might turn up

i missed the sale for electra yesterday which is a preamp with HT bypass and tube stage! argg..  and in victoria

bugger

What is the rest of your sytem, AVR, amps, speakers?

Myteks DAc+ and Amp, driving the Kef R3, Marantz SR6007 preout front to Nuforce Ref 9 mono's to drive the Kef Q900 (huge difference in sound when driven by separate power). 

Posted (edited)

Not sure what a Parasound P5 sells for on the used market but is very versatile for integrating within a surround sound setup as it also has Sub bypass as well

Edited by mpearce38

thanks. good friend of mine has the P5. i don't need a sub for my 2 channel.  I'm leaning towards a tube preamp (primaluna evo200) but so over my budget at the moment. 

Primaluna might be a brand that has HT bypass available on there pres and can be found close to your budget used

sorry to hijack the thread, i also have a question about ht bypass.

when plugging into a pre amp with ht bypass does that essentially turn it into a passive preamp? for that input?

yes.. all volume control is from the AVR

8 minutes ago, anewmission said:

sorry to hijack the thread, i also have a question about ht bypass.

when plugging into a pre amp with ht bypass does that essentially turn it into a passive preamp? for that input?

not a passive pre. it bypasses the pre stage on the pre amp with ht bypass. in essence bypassing the pre so signal goes straight to power amp.... the ht bypass is just removed for 2ch use. preamps with ht bypass have been around for some 20 or so years so quite mature aspect of pre amps and 2ch integrated. how specifically integrated can vary but its nothing new to be worried about. 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

not a passive pre. it bypasses the pre stage on the pre amp with ht bypass. in essence bypassing the pre so signal goes straight to power amp.... the ht bypass is just removed for 2ch use. preamps with ht bypass have been around for some 20 or so years so quite mature aspect of pre amps and 2ch integrated. how specifically integrated can vary but its nothing new to be worried about. 

ok, seems logical.

been looking for a preamp with ht bypass for a while.

looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 851E

and the Emotiva XSP-1

really cant decide

1 minute ago, anewmission said:

ok, seems logical.

been looking for a preamp with ht bypass for a while.

looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 851E

and the Emotiva XSP-1

really cant decide

so many out there to choose from. features aside .... important aspect I personally think is pre and power matching more than anything. just as power amp to speaker matching so important. pre power matching can be solved going same brand... or integrated with ht bypass :D