can you use tape out as HT bypass

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

so many out there to choose from. features aside .... important aspect I personally think is pre and power matching more than anything. just as power amp to speaker matching so important. pre power matching can be solved going same brand... or integrated with ht bypass :D  

I want something to pair with a yamaha p2200 which has high quality black beauty stepped attenuators.

my theory was to try the ht bypass through a pre amp so i could use the volume control on the power amp

5 minutes ago, anewmission said:

I want something to pair with a yamaha p2200 which has high quality black beauty stepped attenuators.

my theory was to try the ht bypass through a pre amp so i could use the volume control on the power amp

if just planning to use the 2ch pre with ht bypass only, and vol on your power amp, makes no sense why would get a 2ch pre in first place as will be bypassing it in anycase. and if the case... a simpler bypass is to just replace the pre with an interconnect ! :D  

25 minutes ago, betty boop said:

if just planning to use the 2ch pre with ht bypass only, and vol on your power amp, makes no sense why would get a 2ch pre in first place as will be bypassing it in anycase. and if the case... a simpler bypass is to just replace the pre with an interconnect ! :D  

i have multiple source inputs: dac, phono pre, cd and tape

50 minutes ago, anewmission said:

i have multiple source inputs: dac, phono pre, cd and tape

ht bypass wont give you that switching sorry. it only ht bypasses one input ... so defeats the purpose of the pre with ht bypass as really bypassing it .... the rest of the input wills need to run via the pre to a power amp.... and will not bypass the pre amp stage and its volume control. end up with two vol stages in the line if that want :) 

27 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ht bypass wont give you that switching sorry. it only ht bypasses one input ... so defeats the purpose of the pre with ht bypass as really bypassing it .... the rest of the input wills need to run via the pre to a power amp.... and will not bypass the pre amp stage and its volume control. end up with two vol stages in the line if that want :) 

i know with the cambridge audio pre you can set all inputs to ht bypass mode. but not on the emotiva

https://goldpt.com/sw4.html

do you think this is worthy of the $400+? i think thats in usd... eep

i keep getting different advice. i know i can make one but others have said to use a gas push button relay input selector.. i wouldnt know where to start with that.

Just now, anewmission said:

i know with the cambridge audio pre you can set all inputs to ht bypass mode. but not on the emotiva

https://goldpt.com/sw4.html

do you think this is worthy of the $400+? i think thats in usd... eep

i keep getting different advice. i know i can make one but others have said to use a gas push button relay input selector.. i wouldnt know where to start with that.

indeed on the cambridge is like on arcam and cyrus, primare pres and integrated. you just adjust the gain. but then you are not really using as a pre just a switching box in this case ? ! really just doing for convenience I guess. 

perhaps my experience has always been that  upto you where want the volume control or pre ... whether in a dac/player, a stand alone pre amp or in the power amp. however I dont personally think can dismiss the benefits of a good pre amp. but this is not appreciable unless demoing between the components in mind. so will leave there. something suspect have to decide for self whether worth the expense or not :) 

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

indeed on the cambridge is like on arcam and cyrus, primare pres and integrated. you just adjust the gain. but then you are not really using as a pre just a switching box in this case ? ! really just doing for convenience I guess. 

perhaps my experience has always been that  upto you where want the volume control or pre ... whether in a dac/player, a stand alone pre amp or in the power amp. however I dont personally think can dismiss the benefits of a good pre amp. but this is not appreciable unless demoing between the components in mind. so will leave there. something suspect have to decide for self whether worth the expense or not :) 

would you say that a "good" pre, worthy of adding to this setup would be well above a few thousand dollars?

Just now, anewmission said:

would you say that a "good" pre, worthy of adding to this setup would be well above a few thousand dollars?

some very nice pre's out there, dollar figures as always are not a good indicator... I do feel this is not a cut dried thing. a great pre in one combination will do wonders and yet can be mediocre in another .... as mentioned earlier there is a bit more synergy and pre pwr matching that can make this a bit hit and miss. my best suggestion would be to find a helpfull retailer that happy to work with you to find what best does what want. eg if in nsw len wallis always tends to have a good range of old and new stuff quite a few bargains. has at times even sent me stuff for just cost of shipping back and forth. certainly something helped me in initial days exploring pres.

we are in lock down but the forum is an excellent resource too. I have attended pre comparisons.... that results are very much limited to system and combination used but went some ways to show what different pres can do in same system. when lock down raised perhaps have a gtg invite folk over with byo pre for those that can bring one along.... :D 

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

some very nice pre's out there, dollar figures as always are not a good indicator... I do feel this is not a cut dried thing. a great pre in one combination will do wonders and yet can be mediocre in another .... as mentioned earlier there is a bit more synergy and pre pwr matching that can make this a bit hit and miss. my best suggestion would be to find a helpfull retailer that happy to work with you to find what best does what want. eg if in nsw len wallis always tends to have a good range of old and new stuff quite a few bargains. has at times even sent me stuff for just cost of shipping back and forth. certainly something helped me in initial days exploring pres.

we are in lock down but the forum is an excellent resource too. I have attended pre comparisons.... that results are very much limited to system and combination used but went some ways to show what different pres can do in same system. when lock down raised perhaps have a gtg invite folk over with byo pre for those that can bring one along.... :D 

thats a good idea, 

i am a studio engineer by trade but that is a completely different world. going straight from a mixing desk into a power amp

so hifi pre amps have never been a huge part of my life

i do notice how microphone pre amps can improve the sq drastically so i guess its the same with hifi

its a strange power amp to try and match something with but its something i am prepared to spend abit of time working out.

until lockdown is done, do you think i should have a tinker and make an rca / input switchbox?