andyr

The 'thumb down' response to a post seems to have disappeared?

At the bottom RHS, under each post, there is a 'thumbs up' icon.  Hovering over it brings up 3 more icons: a 'LOL', a 'Thank you' ... and a 'heart'.

I'm sure there used to be a 'thumbs down' option - because Catman gave me one for a post I had made, a few years ago!  :lol:

I was thinking of giving him a thumbs down, just now - but couldn't find any way of doing this.

Can a mod confirm that 'thumbs down' is no longer an available response to a post?

Thanks,

Andy

I have noticed it also. Sadly missed IMO.

Yes it went a while ago, along with the 'sad', which is a useful one.

👎

It was completely abused. Long gone.

Yer. When the "thumbs down" option went, I wanted to give a "sad" emoticon. But like the man with the empty thesaurus, words failed me.

@allthumbs has it:

image.png.390b43318f7db4173c10174cd7dd3bcd.png

You poor sad buggers. Too much inside time boys. Time to get out there and exercise and keep a safe distance and don't sweat too much or spit at all.

If the worst thing that happens in your life is the lack of a trigger like a 'thumbs down'  then consider yourselves blessed.

*I make a point of always clicking on the 'Love' icon, especially when I can't stand the poster or his/her ideas or anything to do with DSOTM or Toppers and cable lifters or indeed cables and fine milled humongous single slabs of aluminium, milled with a centimetre of it's eventual return as a beer can which encases some basic wiring and a toroidal thingy with copper wound about like a Dusty Springfield beehive and costing a motza.

I always indicate the love...

👇🙏

1 hour ago, Marc said:

That gets a thumbs up from me 🤙

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Aah, OK - thanks, Marc.

Andy

The amount of complaints that came in from members who had received a thumbs down on a post by someone was ridiculous.

Then other members would have a disagreement and get revenge by going and giving a thumbs down on ALL their posts.

I now understand why FB has never introduced the Dislike button.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

*I make a point of always clicking on the 'Love' icon

Yeah, but that's to be expected, eh Lee - seeing as you're from around Nimbin way, right?  :P

Andy

Also, keep in mind that there are plenty of options to express a range of emoticons  in the default and expanded lists.🤪

I have thought about a birdie one, but it just isn't the same 🦉

22 hours ago, andyr said:

At the bottom RHS, under each post, there is a 'thumbs up' icon.  Hovering over it brings up 3 more icons: a 'LOL', a 'Thank you' ... and a 'heart'.

I'm sure there used to be a 'thumbs down' option - because Catman gave me one for a post I had made, a few years ago!  :lol:

I was thinking of giving him a thumbs down, just now - but couldn't find any way of doing this.

Can a mod confirm that 'thumbs down' is no longer an available response to a post?

Thanks,

Andy

Way too many precious people who get easily offended by others point of view. And way too many who think it is my way or the highway.

46 minutes ago, muon* said:

I have thought about a birdie one, but it just isn't the same 🦉

Instead of trying to flip the bird @muon* maybe you could reply with 🦨...... :D 

40 minutes ago, swervyn said:

Way too many precious people who get easily offended by others point of view. And way too many who think it is my way or the highway.

Haha - agreed S!  :thumb:

Andy

19 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Instead of trying to flip the bird @muon* maybe you could reply with 🦨...... :D 

SNA doesn't have that one, is that phone specific or something?

22 hours ago, andyr said:

Apart from being a useful tool for trolls your example is probably a good reason to not have the thumbs down.

Probably a good thing that the option is not available as this could only exacerbate ill feeling between yourself and Catman.

Better to just leave alone or give a constructive reply to an unliked post. :) 

4 minutes ago, muon* said:

SNA doesn't have that one, is that phone specific or something?

It's in the emoji dropdown under Animals & Nature.

I assume it's not phone dependent. :unsure:

On second thought I probably shouldn't be telling you where it is giving you another avenue to get yourself into trouble..... :D

2 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Apart from being a useful tool for trolls your example is probably a good reason to not have the thumbs down.

Probably a good thing that the option is not available as this could only exacerbate ill feeling between yourself and Catman.

Don't quite follow you there, Marty?

I have no ill feeling towards Felix, whatsoever.  He decided to give me a 'thumbs down' ... but I haven't lost my self-respect because of it.  :lol:

He made a snarky comment about me the other day and so I thought it deserved a serve back - that's all.  (If he had never given me a 'thumbs down' ... I would probably not have gone looking for that icon.

And the fact that I wasn't able to ... has not sent me into a funk.  :)

2 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Better to just leave alone or give a constructive reply to an unliked post. :) 

I suspect any comment I could've made would've exacerbated his issue.  Much simpler just to give a 'thumbs down'! :)

Andy

10 minutes ago, andyr said:

Don't quite follow you there, Marty?

I have no ill feeling towards Felix, whatsoever.  He decided to give me a 'thumbs down' ... but I haven't lost my self-respect because of it.  :lol:

He made a snarky comment about me the other day and so I thought it deserved a serve back - that's all. 

Even though you personally don't have any ill feelings towards Catman it could create an avenue for escalation which can be a slippery slope.

15 minutes ago, andyr said:

(If he had never given me a 'thumbs down' ... I would probably not have gone looking for that icon.

Perfect example of the effect the thumbs down can have.

18 minutes ago, andyr said:

I suspect any comment I could've made would've exacerbated his issue.  Much simpler just to give a 'thumbs down'! :)

Always a good idea to think before you reply to a contentious post. :thumb:
It can be a good thing to be open about your feelings towards a negative post as sometimes people aren't always even aware that they've caused offence though yes absolutely you have to be careful about not exacerbating the issue.
If you're unsure about replying sometimes it's best to just walk away. :) 

@andyr

Guilty as charged,  Im responsible for having that feature removed,  

if you look everywhere in any forum or social media this feature is not an option... and it shouldn’t be..  if it continued to be, I won’t be posting here on SNA

16 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@andyr

Guilty as charged,  Im responsible for having that feature removed,  

if you look everywhere in any forum or social media this feature is not an option... and it shouldn’t be..  if it continued to be, I won’t be posting here on SNA.

r.e.s.p.e.c.t. for owning up, Peter.  :thumb:  But I'm super surprised - I wouldn't have picked you as someone who is a 'snowflake'!  :lol:

Andy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Martykt said:

If you're unsure about replying sometimes it's best to just walk away. :) 

Ummm, Marty - I did (walk away from that thread, when I found there wasn't a 'thumbs down' option).

Andy

Edited by andyr