Volkswagen Mk8 Golf R

Recently spotted testing at the Nurburgring the 2021 (?) Mk8 Golf R.

Rumoured specs are 245kW and 420Nm from the EA888 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four and 0-100km/hr in 4.6sec.

Photo credit motoring.com.au

mk8rfront.jpg

mk8rear.jpg

https://www.motoring.com.au/spy-pics-volkswagen-golf-r-at-the-ring-123836/

Edited by ArthurDent
  • Like 2
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

front tyre seems under some pressure....

Sigh. I must be a dinosaur. Please make a car with real buttons, switches and knobs—easy to find and use while driving. These touch controls everywhere are a real nuisance.

Recently spotted testing at the Nurburgring the 2021 (?) Mk8 Golf R.   Rumoured specs are 245kW and 420Nm from the EA888 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four and 0-100km/hr in 4.6sec.   Pho

my 2008 R32 is still going strong. but I will be moving to a replacement end of the year, next year.

So either this or the Audi S3

13 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Recently spotted testing at the Nurburgring the 2021 (?) Mk8 Golf R.

Rumoured specs are 245kW and 420Nm from the EA888 2.0-litre turbo-petrol four and 0-100km/hr in 4.6sec.

Photo credit motoring.com.au

mk8rear.jpg

https://www.motoring.com.au/spy-pics-volkswagen-golf-r-at-the-ring-123836/

front tyre seems under some pressure....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ArthurDent said:

Most would be at that part of the track 😉

yeah - it was tongue in cheek.  Was more meaning they are ripping in during testing.  :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, scuzzii said:

yeah - it was tongue in cheek.  Was more meaning they are ripping in during testing.  :)

Full roll cage so no doubt pushing it. I wonder what times it's doing.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

my 2008 R32 is still going strong. but I will be moving to a replacement end of the year, next year.

Tough choice 😉

I do like the Audi's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronin1812 said:

Gloss black side skirts are a nice change.

The Mk7 models had all gloss trimmings but the side skirts weren't as aggressive as those on the new Mk8.

Edited by ArthurDent
22 minutes ago, t_mike said:

The R+ sounds even more tempting.

It does but the 300kw Golf R Plus has been coming soon to a showroom near you since 2014.

I suspect the problem is the RS3 and whether V A G want another car in the family that's just as quick but probably $20k cheaper.

Seriously why is *** censored.

Edited by ArthurDent

50 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

It does but the 300kw Golf R Plus has been coming soon to a showroom near you since 2014.

That was apparently due to the timing with dieselgate, and the idea of putting the car out, at a risk to the selling ability at $80K plus. Being shelved until a more suitable time, I think corona will have to be past us first. As soon as economic conditions improve, expect it's arrival.

• Haha 1
  • Moderators

A while ago went for a blast in a mates  tricked Mk7 R !!!!

Whoa!!!

Pulling mid 3s!!

12 hours ago, t_mike said:

That was apparently due to the timing with dieselgate, and the idea of putting the car out, at a risk to the selling ability at $80K plus. Being shelved until a more suitable time, I think corona will have to be past us first. As soon as economic conditions improve, expect it's arrival.

I don't think they could justify $80k and I doubt they'd sell at that price. Spend just a tad more and get a way less stressed RS3.

12 hours ago, joz said:

A while ago went for a blast in a mates  tricked Mk7 R !!!!

Whoa!!!

Pulling mid 3s!!

The EA888's do respond well to a tune and even better when you add a few bolt on bits.

On 25/04/2020 at 2:04 PM, ArthurDent said:

The Mk7 models had all gloss trimmings but the side skirts weren't as aggressive as those on the new Mk8.

I like the gloss trims on MK7R. Not much of the fan of the silver accents on the front though, they don't match the gloss black mirrors (wolfsburg edition). Looking forward to how the MK8 performs against the MK7/7.5. 

I have a scirocco R 2013 model that I had tricked up. About on par (and on paper) with the above specs of the new beast. I don't really drive that much, especially now like everyone else, but it does bring a smile to my face when you give it a bit.  Doubt I will ever sell it. Under the bonnet, was same as standard s3 until my mechanic had a play.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why did they go to electric power steering? Was it economy, and if so why wasn’t it retained in the go fast versions?

The whole point of a hot hatch is to have a fun version of your favourite practical shopping trolley. For that reason I think the Golf R should be a lightweight, manual, hydraulic power steered hatch with good sporty rubber, suspension and brakes.  

I think the progress towards ever more power is pointless, and this is supported by many motoring journalists that have driven everything.  Most owners once wanted a small nimble car that was fun when doing boring everyday stuff or for a Sunday drive.  

Back in the day I bought my Peugeot 306 after the first roundabout. It just loved going around corners. My current car will do mid 3s all day without breaking a sweat but it’s not the same sort of fun at all and you can’t use it on the road.   VW did a stripped back GTI relatively recently.  What happened to that?

Edited by Briz Vegas

I don't mind the electrically-assisted racks in the Golf's, variable ratio and you can change the weighting.

The lighter more nimble R is the GTI.

The stripped down GTI was the Clubsport and more recently the Clubsport-S.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

The whole point of a hot hatch is to have a fun version of your favourite practical shopping trolley. For that reason I think the Golf R should be a lightweight, manual, hydraulic power steered hatch with good sporty rubber, suspension and brakes.

agree but it is also every day hatch back, and cars have generally just been getting larger and heavier... if look at the original golf its closer to the VW Up than the golf today :) 

I think the progress towards ever more power is pointless, and this is supported by many motoring journalists that have driven everything.  Most owners once wanted a small nimble car that was fun when doing boring everyday stuff or for a Sunday drive.  

yes indeed the more power pump into something the heavier everything needs to go from there...power train... suspension, brakes etc...

Back in the day I bought my Peugeot 306 after the first roundabout. It just loved going around corners. My current car will do mid 3s all day without breaking a sweat but it’s not the same sort of fun at all and you can’t use it on the road.   VW did a stripped back GTI relatively recently.  What happened to that?

yep i remember the first corner on my 306 :D that was a very different car ...more handling and brakes than outright power.... yes we had the VW golf original in the last year or so... and the golf R grid. the original was a 3 door and took them ages to clear... lesson learnt i suspect probably never do that again :D the golf R grid was priced same as gti(optioned up) and can imagine r grid sold pretty quickly so probably never do that again either :D  so that's what happened to those, I havent seen anything re stripped out versions of new model coming. but VW love doing special editions...so no doubt am sure keep up sleeve....

6 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

More Golf R+ rumours.

The hybrid option would be interesting.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/volkswagen-golf-r-plus-details

interesting article full of absolutely nothing concrete about the next R outside of pub talk speculation 😊

At least it has plenty of lovely pics of my current 7.5R 

Edited by metal beat
  • Haha 1
  • 3 months later...
On 17/04/2020 at 2:25 PM, scuzzii said:

Same decision we had 18 months ago. We ended up with an S3 hatch after a Golf R with faulty paint resulted in return for full refund. So kudos to VW for that. The S3 is a nicer place to be but I hate the central dial to control the screen, trying to set the satnav is a nightmare for me but it's my wife's car, perhaps I would get used to it if my daily driver. New S3 will be touchscreen I believe so much better in that regard. S3 boot is also significantly smaller compared to the Golf

• Like 1
13 hours ago, metal beat said:

image.png.24703970ab7ae93eb94eb6a9c89b8b48.png

https://www.caradvice.com.au/853274/2020-volkswagen-golf-r-final-edition-review/

Luv the purple colour.    The mk8 R may be 12 months away.

I rather like the green.

Styling issues aside with the Mk8 it's a way better car although as usual we get the dumbed down versions, engine wise at least which is a pity.

I've got my eyes on a Mk8 GTI Clubsport which if the leaked specs are true will be very nice.

Probably more than 12 months for them to arrive here though if we do get them at all.

37 minutes ago, blybo said:

Same decision we had 18 months ago. We ended up with an S3 hatch after a Golf R with faulty paint resulted in return for full refund. So kudos to VW for that. The S3 is a nicer place to be but I hate the central dial to control the screen, trying to set the satnav is a nightmare for me but it's my wife's car, perhaps I would get used to it if my daily driver. New S3 will be touchscreen I believe so much better in that regard. S3 boot is also significantly smaller compared to the Golf

Cheers Neil,

I've held off for now (Covid).  Saw there's a new S3 coming out.  My wife just moved to a new company and will lease a new car through them. So no real rush as I hardly drive atm

think the Golf R should be a lightweight, manual, hydraulic power steered hatch with good sporty rubber, suspension and brakes. 

Spot on for any sports orientated car, I don't understand why cars keep getting heavier when engines keep getting smaller and more powerful, with more nannies,  ..what about less weight, less nannies more engagement more fun ??? 

10 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

I rather like the green.

Styling issues aside with the Mk8 it's a way better car although as usual we get the dumbed down versions, engine wise at least which is a pity.

I've got my eyes on a Mk8 GTI Clubsport which if the leaked specs are true will be very nice.

Probably more than 12 months for them to arrive here though if we do get them at all.

one would hope so but the R has not been released so hard to say its way better.     I got my 7.5 R in late Jan - luv it., especially the styling :)

ZQkOmRo.jpg

ubedKue.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, metal beat said:

one would hope so but the R has not been released so hard to say its way better.     I got my 7.5 R in late Jan - luv it., especially the styling :)

The Mk8 GTI is 3.9 seconds quicker around the 3.3 km VW test track than the Mk7 and 3km/hr quicker in the double lane change and slalom.

The Mk8 R will get all the chassis and suspension updates that the Mk8 GTI gets.

Might not make as much difference to an R but it should be a better handling car.

Edited by ArthurDent
1 hour ago, ArthurDent said:

The Mk8 GTI is 3.9 seconds quicker around the 3.3 km VW test track than the Mk7 and 3km/hr quicker in the double lane change and slalom.

The Mk8 R will get all the chassis and suspension updates that the Mk8 GTI gets.

Might not make as much difference to an R but it should be a better handling car.

The GTI is the original and best hot hatch . I luved my 5 years driving one and you will too in 2021 sometime. hopefully a Xmas present  🤣

The R is a little more sophisticated and that I was able to get mine for less than I paid for my GTI it was a great deal.

I think VW has always been a little hesitant to put the even more powerful engines into the GTI or R in any big numbers as they don't want to cannibalise Audi sales of S3 , RS3 etc

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

The GTI is the original and best hot hatch . I luved my 5 years driving one and you will too in 2021 sometime. hopefully a Xmas present  🤣

The R is a little more sophisticated and that I was able to get mine for less than I paid for my GTI it was a great deal.

I think VW has always been a little hesitant to put the even more powerful engines into the GTI or R in any big numbers as they don't want to cannibalise Audi sales of S3 , RS3 etc

Audi is a slightly different demographic but yes they don't want to eat into RS3 sales.

On the other hand VW do have to keep up in the hot hatch arms race.

Christmas next year would be good for us to see the new Mk8 Clubsport here.

I'll put my Mk7.5 facelift+ back to stock so the wife can drive it and we'll trade in her Mk7.

Edited by ArthurDent
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decent step up in power and torque with 235kw/420nm up from our current 213kW/380Nm.

Spring rates and anti-roll bar rates have been increased by 10% and plus one degree negative camber on the front.

Plus the usual Mk8 VDM stuff.

Due here early 2022.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2021-volkswagen-golf-r-revealed-235kw-hot-hatch-here-in-2022

Edited by ArthurDent