Max Payne games series

OK, things are boring and I have played SoC original and the 2009 mod as much as I care to ATM, so thought I'd download Max Payne 3 to take it up where I left off all those years ago when I played 1 & 2.

Should be a hoot if game play is as good as the first two or better.

Just went through the Rockstar social club BS, I almost requested a refund rather than sign up to this kind of crap.

But looking forward to play, so did it anyway, begrudgingly!

Max payne - oh yes..going back nearly 20 years on those..  another great game to look into as well...System Shock 2 and also Fallout 2.  IMO these were awesome games back in their days and tbh, with the texture mods released, are worthy to be replayed. 

OK, I need to get used to a more complex control system again, I'm used to the basic FPS systems, and aiming is way off moving from FPS to the third person :S

Long story short, I died rather quickly on first run xD

Yeah, think I played System Shock 1 an maybe 2, but not stand outs for myself, never played fall out. Was going to reacquaint myself with the Half Life series but was not motivated enough for it.

I like first person as then I'm the character, the issue I have with third person like with this or tomb raider and the like is I feel detached from the character.

I'll likely enjoy MP3 (can't believe i said that) once I get used to the game play.

Black Mesa sound interesting!

Edited by muon*

Not sure if it is heavier on the cut scenes or if it is me, just seems like a different balance of what I recall with the cut scenes being more and more often.

Keep dying but that might just be my mouse is a bit poor in response, and that I suck more in fire fights than i used to. Playing on medium, if I have to drop to beginner that would suck a bit..........I'm saying 'suck' a lot :lol:

I think It's me and not the game 9_9

I do remember dying a lot in this game - but that was no different to the rest of the Max Payne games.  In my case anyway.

Could also be your reflexes - I know mine ain't what it used to be. :-).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spukee said:

I do remember dying a lot in this game - but that was no different to the rest of the Max Payne games.  In my case anyway.

Could also be your reflexes - I know mine ain't what it used to be. :-).

Yes, that is the bit where the gamer...me! sucks these days, I can't handle the really intense shooters as well these days, they rattle me!

Very different coming straight from SoC where you have an open world and can sit and wait for enemies to come to you as you set yourself up strategically, and carry around 500 rounds of ammo ect'.

Edit: OK, dying less often, but some spots I just get killed over and over again, need more pain pills but I think I sometimes miss picking them up, or I just.......su............am not very good at staying alive :D

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

Eh, don't like this one, the system is too clunky and too much of the narrative cut scenes content, add the third person aspect and for myself it stands in the way of being immersed in the game and the play.

Guest thathifiguy

I remember playing this through on the hardest setting and I don’t think any game before or since has had me cursing so often or so loudly.

great game though.

Guest thathifiguy
21 hours ago, muon* said:

OK, worked out some controls i was missing..........DOH!

Progressing but too old now to manage more than the easy setting :lol:

You'll probably enjoy it more this way anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Even on easy I couldn't get through the last fight xD

Game is very short! I'm annoyed paying a fraction of original release new price for a game so short, so at least I didn't pay around 80 bucks for what felt like a part of a full game. Maybe 6 hours play time to get to the last fight, and that with me dying a lot and repeating.

• 1 month later...

My favorite games series as well. Max Payne 3 was also brilliant despite it not being made by Remedy.

I replayed them all 2 years back. They are still a blast. Was a bit difficult getting MP 1 & 2 to work, even though they were Steam purchases. I had to upload a special driver into their game folder, then they ran perfectly.

• Like 1

I can see the work they put into the MP series, especially 1&2 and loved those two mostly. If a Max Payne4 came out and was done by Rockstar, I can't see it happening but I'd likely be tempted.

Back playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Play time on Steam says I have chalked up 500 hours now ? I have had the 2009 mod installed for a while and hard saved before heading into the last area so I have been able to play through three different endings. So still playing as I like the mechanics of the game and freedom of it and of course the combat is fun, I now just hunt for the best artifacts even though I have way more than I can use.

Tempted to download Lost Alpha, but played through that before, and It's a bit buggy from what I recal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with Max Payne 3- chapter 2 game freezes and unable to play..while max crashes through window the game is freezing tried restarting the game but same problem is repeating mine is windows 10 OS..

1 minute ago, blainn said:

I have a problem with Max Payne 3- chapter 2 game freezes and unable to play..while max crashes through window the game is freezing tried restarting the game but same problem is repeating mine is windows 10 OS..

I'm still using Win 7, no crashing.

Tried seeing if there are any newer drivers for your graphics card?